FDA So what might really happen with regulations/bans? Should we be stocking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The proposed deeming regulation (for which the comment period expired on August 8th) contains no "immediate restrictions". It contains a two year grace period on just about everything, after which product approvals would be needed (but it's not clear exactly what products would require them). All it really does is give the FDA the power to propose specific new regulations covering the deemed products (which currently aren't under its jurisdiction at all!) but such new regulations would again have to go through the regulatory process -- that's the only way to "enact" regulations.

Where are you getting the 2 Year Grace Period from?

Do you have a Link?

BTW - When you say "just about everything", what is Not Included in the "just about"?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
regmap.jpg

Step 10

US DISTRICT COURT

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Where are you getting the 2 Year Grace Period from?
From the text of the proposed deeming regulation. Surely you read it when it was published, no?

BTW - When you say "just about everything", what is Not Included in the "just about"?
My recollection is stuff like ingredient labelling and nicotine warnings would have to be done more quickly.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From the text of the proposed deeming regulation. Surely you read it when it was published, no?

My recollection is stuff like ingredient labelling and nicotine warnings would have to be done more quickly.

OK... So this is Just a Personal Interpretation of things.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When a "Deeming Regulation" says they "want" to do something, it means they still have to propose a REAL regulation with specifics that actually does so, and that real regulation has to go through the same process.

The Next thing the FDA is going to Do is submit a Final set of Rules for OMB review. And then they go to Congress.

I don't think the FDA is going to submit One Rule at Time. So this Process Isn't going to be Repeated 673 Times.

Catuela

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Chester, VA
I have wondered a bunch about the regulation of APV devices. I don't really know how the FDA can effectively regulate a mod and dripping atomizer for example. If I were vendor and I had to, I could relabel the device as an electrical training tool that teaches people about Ohm's Law. Juice I can see being regulated though. If I were a juice vendor I would have a plan that might involve switching to nic free liquids and selling them as air freshener.

Since I vape 0nic now that is the hope I have should the regulations be damning. I guess I could survive with DIY liquids now though since I don't even need the mic base.

My suggestion to current vapors is to get nic base, and start working on going nic free. It took me 8 months to get there, but I am glad I no longer feel a chemical addiction to the stuff. I vape purely for pleasure now.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
+1
I vape for the nicotine and have no intention in giving that up.

Exactly. I vape for the nicotine - in fact I vape 24 mg and have zero intention of lowering it. I derive health and psychological benefits from my nic level, and the last thing I want to do is start messing around with pharmaceutical nicotine products trying to get nearly the same dose (previous experiments to that end have not worked out), or have to try other medications to get the same benefits :shock: I am of the unfortunate group who will probably start smoking again if nic liquid were too heavily regulated. I would like to try dissolvable tobacco tablets or nic water, but I'm not sure I'll have access to dissolvables and I know nic water is out of the question, thanks to the FDA... my previous experience is that chewing tobacco tastes terrible and I don't like having to spit all the time... so yeah I'll end up smoking again :( but at least I've considered my "options"...

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm sorry, but racism, bigotry and sexism don't have one single thing to do with this. It's beyond ludicrous to think that. It all boils down to two things. The first is crony-capitalism. Where special interests lobby and flat out buy off our "public servants" so that they will be able to corner the market. Hey, it's cheaper to buy off a congressman than have to compete in the marketplace and unfortunately, our government has proven to be for sale to the highest bidder. The second is a populace, at least in the United States, who has forgotten our most basic founding principles and now apparently believes that everyone's liberty should be turned over to an all encompassing federal government. Not content to focus on their own lives, way too many Americans now believe that they should use government force to tell everyone else how to live, even if those other people are not infringing on anyone else's liberty in the least.

So yeah, people wanted big government and they got it. You are now reaping the rewards. Enjoy.

Sorry to be so late replying... just saw this. While I agree with most of what you've said, I take issue with this:

"I'm sorry, but racism, bigotry and sexism don't have one single thing to do with this. It's beyond ludicrous to think that."

We're approaching from two different directions.. you address motivation or the goals of those in power and I certainly don't disagree, however.... I address how they implement control or what tactics are used to attain those goals. It requires getting "the people" (voters) behind them and that's where they use all manner of spin and propaganda designed to appeal to people's baser "instincts" which include bias, prejudice, bigotry and discrimination. Down through history its been the same device used by the power elite to control the masses. As for "beyond ludicrous".... whatever.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The bigotry part has everything to do with the decades-long efforts to demonize smokers...
http://www.rampant-antismoking.com/

And without that bigotry in place and firmly established...
All efforts to quash electronic cigarettes at the local, state, and federal levels would not be working as well as they have been.

EDIT: Added link to the Godber Blueprint, which has successfully been used to establish and promote the decades-long plan to demonize of smokers.

Last edited:

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
The bigotry part has everything to do with the decades-long efforts to demonize smokers.

And without that bigotry in place and firmly established...
All efforts to quash electronic cigarettes at the local, state, and federal levels would not be working as well as they have been.

SO SO SO true!!!!!!

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I don't think the actual e-cigarettes will be regulated let alone banned. However, the e-juice, especially with nicotine will probably be harder to get. Taxes, higher prices or all out banned might be in the future.

Should you stock up? I don't think anything is prohibited anytime soon so you should be ok for now

I think it bears repeating that liquid solutions with various concentrations of nicotine have been manufactured and sold for quite some time, long before 2007, and have been used in nicotine gum, patches, etc. Thus, it may be that these liquids must be grandfathered under the express provisions of the enabling statute. But I have not been able to determine how long liquids with specific levels of nicotine have been sold, how they were marketed and sold, to whom or for what purposes other than NRT. However, that information is certainly in the possession of those who make the stuff. If they were exclusively marketed and sold as "drug products," then they would probably not fall within the definition of "tobacco products," and thus might not qualify for grandfathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread