SOCC 2.2 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarebird

Aug 18, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi all!

I have a couple of sub ohm setups but I just bought a SmokTech SID with a Kanger ProTank 2 for a friend. From what I've read this mod will not work with less than a 1.8 ohm coil. I bought a pack of five Kanger SOCC 2.2 ohm coils to go with the ProTank 2. However, I cannot find out the composition of the wire in these coils. I understand these are old school coils so I'm thinking they are Kanthal, which would be fine. I emailed the site I bought them from, and they said they didn't know and suggested I email Kangertech. I've searched extensively, also here on ECF, and posted on the Kanger forums, and they suggested I go through their list of distributors (!?). The coil is not listed in their list of coils on Kanger's main site. Frustrating.

Does anybody happen to know what wire is in these coils? Also, if you happen to know, the wire in the silica wick coils that come with the ProTank 2?

Thanks kindly for any help!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
LOL
Yes, SID is kinda old but a good (ish) mod perfect for Protank 1-3.
@Robert Cromwell is spot on. Like most eCig Qs it's faster not to ruin your life expecting answers from vendors or the companies themselves (God forbid they might actually do customer assistance!)
I'm voting Nichrome from the visual look.
SID will fire down to 1.5 for sure. I had long service from mine using the infamous Panasonic NCR 3,400.
Great battery life. Never quite managed 15w and a bit unpredictable at times.
:)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Rofl, I called that number and asked, and they said they didn't have any information on that..

You actually called Kanger! Wow. :)
As I said
Like most eCig Qs it's faster not to ruin your life expecting answers from vendors or the companies themselves (God forbid they might actually do customer assistance!)

The Kanger shop (not China) won't actually know much and the shop fronts in the states/europe is just an 'official' outlet just to collect the $$
It's a part of the e-cig industry I find most distasteful. Playing on people's insecurities.
Joyetech do the same in the UK. You have the official shop which charges 25-40% more than independent vendors and then Joyetech actually call the independents 'copy-cat' or 'clone' or a number of other impolite things. The same thing goes on with Fasttech....in a different way.

Rarebird

Aug 18, 2016
Houston, TX
Well, I'm a bit concerned about nichrome. I am of the opinion that nickel is unsafe to vape with, but also I'm given that nichrome is safer, due to the formation of a film of chrome oxide that forms on the metal, sealing in the nickel. I research a lot what's safe and unsafe in vaping, though I haven't been vaping all that long. I would rather vape with kanthal wire if possible.

The industry as a whole doesn't seem to be too much more concerned about our health than the cigarette industry.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Kanthal may be 'resistant to oxidation' as compared to other alloys which probably fall apart a lot more easily when repeatedly heated/cooled like vape coils are - but I really don't think that means that it doesn't oxidise *at all*.

I can see where Kanthal coils readily oxidise at the surface layer myself when I pulse a fresh coil, and then see how the outside has now changed colour and is no longer electrically conductive unless it's scratched or chemically eaten away to show the unoxidised layer underneath.

Reactions: mindriot

mindriot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Dundee, Scotland
There is a ceramic like layer formed on kanthal through oxidisation fairly early on (or when you dry pulse) which protects the metal from degrading, as I recall it is designed to do this however I'm not a metallurgist.

There is a very interesting thread in which quite a bit of kanthal oxidisation is discussed in response to a bit of a scare story about dry burning coils, a number of metallurgists weigh in on the finer details of wire types and oxidisation. It isn't so useful to the OP as it is mostly focused on temperature effects of pulsing coils when building rather than prebuilt ones, however there is a lot of good interesting discussion in there about different metals for anyone interested. The end of microcoils?

Reactions: Continuity

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Used to think there were 2 nichromes used in vaping A & C,, went to steam engine and see 5.
KangerTech SOCC is not "olde" school per say. Back in the day the early protanks used kanthal D 32awg & silica.
Still like the T3s, & can stuff many modern builds in there.
Think what Kangertech, with their engineering acumen can do!..
OP poses The great question- one with No definitive answer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread