Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Nicotine is "highly toxic" they say.
Nicotine is "Highly addictive" they say.

two phrases quoted often, that impair the hard truths about vaping-to the layman, and are too often 'scandalised' by the 'controversy hungry' press, and used to 'scare-monger' by the 'Health Cartels'.

3.1.3 Nicotine
Nicotine has many effects on the
body6,70,117 (Fig. 3.1): It raises blood
pressure and heart rate, curbs appetite,
increases basal metabolic rate and activates
bowel movements, which may lead
to ......... In addition, it lowers urine
production, promotes blood coagulation,
stimulates breathing, increases pain
sensitivity and may cause nausea and
vomiting. In the brain, nicotine promotes
release of several neurotransmitters causing
various psychological effects, which
'''''''may'''''' lead to dependence.

However, ''''''even more problematic than
the toxic effects of nicotine'''''', which are
to be expected primarily due to overdose,
are its pharmacological effects on
the brain. The substance binds to nicotine
receptors in the brain leading to
release of various messenger substances
stimulating the reward centre, thereby
provoking a feeling of well-being7. Over
time, this can lead to craving for nicotine
and, ultimately, to nicotine dependence.
'''''''This dependence consists of a physical
and a psychological component, making
cessation particularly hard7.''''''''

This report is a 'mixed bag'-but with some interesting little nuggets.

http://www.dkfz.de/en/presse/download/RS-Vol19-E-Cigarettes-EN.pdf

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
The substance binds to nicotine receptors in the brain leading to release of various messenger substances stimulating the reward centre, thereby provoking a feeling of well-being7

Several thoughts as I read this: 1. No wonder the puritanical prohibitionists want to ban nicotine! Heaven forbid anyone should be able to consume anything that makes them feel better! 2. We need to see that the Gland gets some of this. If he feels better, maybe he'll get off our backs... 3. Are there caffeine receptors in the brain? Chocolate receptors? Most important, personally, are there ice cream receptors?

Notorious C.I.G.

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
United States
Caffeine, I'm glad you brought that up, if you substitute it for the word Nicotine in the report, the neurophysiological part of the report probably would not look any different.

Thats the example I bring up when talking to people. People freak out of teens getting ahold of ecigs, but don't bat an eye at kids drinking mt dew, caffeine is an addictive substance that isn't exactly good for you but really not that bad, just like nicotine.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Just as harmless, just as harmful... semantics.

I hear ya, and unfortunately, for all of us, most of the fear-mongering has been 'born' in vaping forums, this one is no exception, arsenic, highly toxic, if you open a bottle in a room all of the people in the room will be poisoned, fume cupboards etc etc et F'ing cetera-it's all in here.

Do a search.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
I saw that study (can't say I read every word). It was used in a fear-mongering article some health nut on Twitter shared with me.

It seemed like that study didn't show a lot of the science behind their conclusions.

I would suggest that you do read every word then, there is some rubbish in there, however there are some facts in there also-ones that even pharma, BigT, a shill or an AnTZ would usually hide.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"The substance binds to nicotine
provoking a feeling of well-being7."

Now why in the world would God have put nicotine receptors in our brains if he didn't want them stimulated? That's like saying the holes in your body weren't put there for a purpose. :p:)

Notorious C.I.G.

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
United States

Now why in the world would God have put nicotine receptors in our brains if he didn't want them stimulated? That's like saying the holes in your body weren't put there for a purpose. :p:)
Your brain produces a natural supply of nicotine, which is why there are receptors :) Sorta like how the brain makes it's own cannabinoids and has cannabinoid receptors, same with opiates and opiate receptors.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Your brain produces a natural supply of nicotine, which is why there are receptors :) Sorta like how the brain makes it's own cannabinoids and has cannabinoid receptors, same with opiates and opiate receptors.

Some people have a chemicals imbalance and need a boost of the chemical to set things right.
I wonder which foods, vitamins, chemicals, counter nicotine's well being chemicals?
I wonder if this is why Chantix drives so many people psychotic... It blocks their well being chemicals...
This has my wheels turning...

i bet bet this is why burning tobacco, spaghetti simmering, etc, entice some people, and turns off others. Our senses sense the scents that our senses sense we need.

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif

; +1-!
Very valid point!!!!!
As is the notorious thoughts.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I forget... is nicotine not addictive? Last I heard it was more addictive than hero...oh I can't say that word here. Anyway, I can only speak for myself in saying I'm addicted to nicotine, and coffee, and maybe sex. Oh, and food and maybe the internet and xbox. That's all. No problems here.

If you like it, you're a filthy (and likely evil) addict! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread