Somebody help me decide. Pretty please. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
Good afternoon everyone.

I've been using ecigs for MANY years now. Started off with a Joye 510 and have had several since then. I'm currently using a Wismec D30. Overall, it's a decent kit. However, the stupid thing leaks like crazy!! It's leaked since day 1. I've tried all sorts of things to correct the problem, but it never works. I'm fed up with it, and looking to upgrade. I usually keep my current kit on 40w. I wouldn't mind having a little more vapor production. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what would be a good replacement? I just recently stumbled across the SMOK Alien Baby and it seems like it would meet my needs. However, there are a couple of things that concern me.
1) Are parts readily available for this, or am I tied to one site?
2) It refers to this as a "mod" I'm not sure exactly what that means?
3) It says that it DOES NOT include a battery. If I buy the recommended battery that's listed on the site, is that all that's needed? Easy installation?
4) It says that several different coils are available. How the heck do I know which type I would need?

If you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
The SMOK alien baby is a really good device and also my current device.
I can vouch for it and say that it's the best I've had till date(just been vaping for around 2 months)
To answer your questions
1. They're easily available on a lot of sites depending on your current location, but checkout Fasttech.com it's one of the biggest websites with vaping gear available.
2. The mod refers to the base part of the whole thing. The part you put your battery in is called the mod.
The part that goes on top of it is called an atomizer.
3. Yes you need to buy one battery separately and the 18650 batteries are easily available but it's essential that you only buy from a good vendor because battery safety is the most important thing in vaping.
4. 2 coils come with the kit if you're planning to buy the kit which includes the al85 mod and the tvf8 baby atomizer.
After that coils are very subjective but don't worry, once you're done using the 2 coils that you get with the kit you'll have a good idea of what kind of a coil you want.

Happy vaping :)

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
You will need a charger for the battery too. Its best to buy an external charger for removable batteries.
Buy two batteries, so one can charge while you use the other one.
I use LG HE2 batteries :) they are about $5 each. A dual charger will run you around $10-15.

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
The SMOK alien baby is a really good device and also my current device.
I can vouch for it and say that it's the best I've had till date(just been vaping for around 2 months)
To answer your questions
1. They're easily available on a lot of sites depending on your current location, but checkout Fasttech.com it's one of the biggest websites with vaping gear available.
2. The mod refers to the base part of the whole thing. The part you put your battery in is called the mod.
The part that goes on top of it is called an atomizer.
3. Yes you need to buy one battery separately and the 18650 batteries are easily available but it's essential that you only buy from a good vendor because battery safety is the most important thing in vaping.
4. 2 coils come with the kit if you're planning to buy the kit which includes the al85 mod and the tvf8 baby atomizer.
After that coils are very subjective but don't worry, once you're done using the 2 coils that you get with the kit you'll have a good idea of what kind of a coil you want.

Happy vaping :)

Thanks so much for the info. I'm checking out the site you suggested. It's showing it only comes with 1 coil though. :-(

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
You will need a charger for the battery too. Its best to buy an external charger for removable batteries.
Buy two batteries, so one can charge while you use the other one.
I use LG HE2 batteries :) they are about $5 each. A dual charger will run you around $10-15.

It says it has a micro usb charging port and cable. Will that not charge it?

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
You're most welcome. :)
Are you checking the kit or just the mod?
If you're checking the kit then, one is pre installed in the tank and another one is extra.
Don't worry all the kits are the same so there have to be 2 coils in it.
One is .6 ohm the other is .4 ohm i think.
Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
You're most welcome. :)
Are you checking the kit or just the mod?
If you're checking the kit then, one is pre installed in the tank and another one is extra.
Don't worry all the kits are the same so there have to be 2 coils in it.
One is .6 ohm the other is .4 ohm i think.

I'm looking at the kit. What you're saying makes sense though. Thanks!

Reactions: Cf11

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
In the early days of e-cigarettes, when the little cigarette-sized devices now called "cig-a-likes" were all that was available, someone got the idea to hack one of the cartridges into a flashlight body for longer battery life. These "modified flashlights" became known as "mods" and the name has stuck, even when applied to devices now that are 100% made specifically for vaping with no modifications needed.

Most everything these days (including the Alien Baby) uses a standardized connection called "510" (based on one of the early cig-a-like models that first used this particular connector) so it will work not just with the Baby Beast tank that comes in the kit, but also with just about any other tank you'd care to use with it. Replacement coils and sometimes the glass tank sections (for this and other tanks) are generally pretty easy to come by at just about every vaping vendor (online or B&M); other parts like screws and o-rings you might have more luck at your local hardware store or somewhere like McMaster-Carr online.

You won't really know what coils you like until you try them, unfortunately. You can sort of get some idea by the recommended wattage ranges but that doesn't tell you everything. With so many different kinds available these days (especially the ones for these new Smok tanks, there's like a dozen different ones) it would be nice if they would sell like a "sampler pack" with all different kinds in, instead of just the 5-packs of whatever one kind at a time. Just make sure to use the proper mode for the wire type. Kanthal (K1/FeCrAl) and Nichrome (NiCr) should only be used in "standard" (watts/volts/power) mode. Pure nickel (Ni200) and Titanium (Ti) should only be used on the appropriate Temperature Control setting (TC-Ni or TC-Ti). Stainless Steel swings both ways, it can be used in temperature (TC-SS) or standard mode.

Somewhere around here is a list of "trusted vendors" for batteries. You're probably okay buying from vaping.com (I think they're kind of sort-of loosely associated with the forums? But I'm not sure) but I don't think they're actually "on the list." It's not so much that other sites are "bad" or even that the "trusted" sites will never let a bad/counterfeit battery slip through, but there is a "short list" compiled by user @Mooch of vendors he trusts based on personal experience. The difference, he says, is in what they do after they find out. And since he's been working in the "portable power" industry for like 25 years, we all tend to take his word on matters of that nature. I use illumn.com because they've had the best prices on what I needed; another one off the top of my head is orbtronic.com but there are more, about a half-dozen or so US vendors, and about as many UK/international, too. Check Mooch's blog page for the "recommended batteries" chart - the list of vendors is at the bottom.

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
In the early days of e-cigarettes, when the little cigarette-sized devices now called "cig-a-likes" were all that was available, someone got the idea to hack one of the cartridges into a flashlight body for longer battery life. These "modified flashlights" became known as "mods" and the name has stuck, even when applied to devices now that are 100% made specifically for vaping with no modifications needed.

Most everything these days (including the Alien Baby) uses a standardized connection called "510" (based on one of the early cig-a-like models that first used this particular connector) so it will work not just with the Baby Beast tank that comes in the kit, but also with just about any other tank you'd care to use with it. Replacement coils and sometimes the glass tank sections (for this and other tanks) are generally pretty easy to come by at just about every vaping vendor (online or B&M); other parts like screws and o-rings you might have more luck at your local hardware store or somewhere like McMaster-Carr online.

You won't really know what coils you like until you try them, unfortunately. You can sort of get some idea by the recommended wattage ranges but that doesn't tell you everything. With so many different kinds available these days (especially the ones for these new Smok tanks, there's like a dozen different ones) it would be nice if they would sell like a "sampler pack" with all different kinds in, instead of just the 5-packs of whatever one kind at a time. Just make sure to use the proper mode for the wire type. Kanthal (K1/FeCrAl) and Nichrome (NiCr) should only be used in "standard" (watts/volts/power) mode. Pure nickel (Ni200) and Titanium (Ti) should only be used on the appropriate Temperature Control setting (TC-Ni or TC-Ti). Stainless Steel swings both ways, it can be used in temperature (TC-SS) or standard mode.

Somewhere around here is a list of "trusted vendors" for batteries. You're probably okay buying from vaping.com (I think they're kind of sort-of loosely associated with the forums? But I'm not sure) but I don't think they're actually "on the list." It's not so much that other sites are "bad" or even that the "trusted" sites will never let a bad/counterfeit battery slip through, but there is a "short list" compiled by user @Mooch of vendors he trusts based on personal experience. The difference, he says, is in what they do after they find out. And since he's been working in the "portable power" industry for like 25 years, we all tend to take his word on matters of that nature. I use illumn.com because they've had the best prices on what I needed; another one off the top of my head is orbtronic.com but there are more, about a half-dozen or so US vendors, and about as many UK/international, too. Check Mooch's blog page for the "recommended batteries" chart - the list of vendors is at the bottom.

Thanks for that info. I'll check out that site for the battery. Could you elaborate a little more on this....Just make sure to use the proper mode for the wire type. Kanthal (K1/FeCrAl) and Nichrome (NiCr) should only be used in "standard" (watts/volts/power) mode. Pure nickel (Ni200) and Titanium (Ti) should only be used on the appropriate Temperature Control setting (TC-Ni or TC-Ti). Stainless Steel swings both ways, it can be used in temperature (TC-SS) or standard mode.

Not really sure what all that means. :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for that info. I'll check out that site for the battery. Could you elaborate a little more on this....Just make sure to use the proper mode for the wire type. Kanthal (K1/FeCrAl) and Nichrome (NiCr) should only be used in "standard" (watts/volts/power) mode. Pure nickel (Ni200) and Titanium (Ti) should only be used on the appropriate Temperature Control setting (TC-Ni or TC-Ti). Stainless Steel swings both ways, it can be used in temperature (TC-SS) or standard mode.

Not really sure what all that means. :)

Basically the coils are made of wires as I'm sure you know and these wires can be made of different materials.
There are several different types of wires that can be used for vaping.
And as bwh79 mentioned kanthal, nichrome, titanium and stainless steel are a few different types.
So to operate with these different types of coils there are different modes in the mod.
The standard (wattage) mode is generally used with kanthal.
Temperature control (ni)mode is used with ni, TC(ti) is used with titanium and TC(ss) is used with stainless steel and can also be used in wattage mode like bwh79 mentioned.

Using certain wires in certain modes can cause trouble.
The coils that come with the kit are generally kanthal that can be used in wattage mode and wattage mode is very easy to operate for beginners.

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
Basically the coils are made of wires as I'm sure you know and these wires can be made of different materials.
There are several different types of wires that can be used for vaping.
And as bwh79 mentioned kanthal, nichrome, titanium and stainless steel are a few different types.
So to operate with these different types of coils there are different modes in the mod.
The standard (wattage) mode is generally used with kanthal.
Temperature control (ni)mode is used with ni, TC(ti) is used with titanium and TC(ss) is used with stainless steel and can also be used in wattage mode like bwh79 mentioned.

Using certain wires in certain modes can cause trouble.
The coils that come with the kit are generally kanthal that can be used in wattage mode and wattage mode is very easy to operate for beginners.

Wow. These things have come a long way! LOL I ordered the Alien Baby kit I posted about earlier in this thread. How would I determine what wires are in these coils? Or how would I determine what type of wires are in the replacement coils I will purchase?

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
All the stock coils are kanthal untill and unless mentioned specifically on the coil.
The coils that come along are kanthal and just use it in wattage mode.
The range of use is printed on the coils themselves.
And you can start with the lowest value and go up with small increments.
Don't use it out of the range though. It won't be the best usage of the coil.
Don't worry about the other materials for now. Just get comfortable with kanthal first then try others.

Also the replacement coils are the same coils that you have in the kit.
There are several other coils available for the baby beast. And all of them are available on Fasttech, you can check em out.

theclaw20

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2017
Don't worry about the other materials for now. Just get comfortable with kanthal first then try others.

I second this. Start with Kanthal coils in wattage mode. Wire type is something to learn about after you get the basics down.

The kit + a battery + juice will get you started. If you find that just charging overnight is insufficient, then get additional batteries and a dedicated battery charger. Once you are done with the coils that come with the kit, you'll have a better idea of what kind of power you like to vape at, which will inform you as to what coils to buy at that point.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cf11

Bill54

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Florida USA
My kit has arrived. It's currently charging. I must say, I'm overwhelmed!!! LOL With my previous kit, I used it at 40 watts. I've found how to set this to that. However, there are a TON of other settings that change when I press the power button. What do I need to have these settings at, and what do they all do? It shows Volt, ohms, amps, mode, PCB and puff. Heeeellllllpppppp meeeeeeee!!! LOL

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
My kit has arrived. It's currently charging. I must say, I'm overwhelmed!!! LOL With my previous kit, I used it at 40 watts. I've found how to set this to that. However, there are a TON of other settings that change when I press the power button. What do I need to have these settings at, and what do they all do? It shows Volt, ohms, amps, mode, PCB and puff. Heeeellllllpppppp meeeeeeee!!! LOL
Did you finally get the alien baby kit?
And which coil are you using with it?
And which battery do you have?
I need to know this before i can help you.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Yep, I got the Alien baby kit.
I'm using the coils that come with the kit. V8 Baby-Q2 0.4ohm
The battery is a Samsung 18650
So firstly I'd recommend you to change the coil to the .6 ohm one in the kit.
The .4 can be a lil overwhelming in the beginning.
Then set the mod to wattage mode, you can do that by pressing the fire bar 3 times. Then choose normal soft or hard depending on what kind of a hit you want. But just let it be on normal for now if you don't understand it.
Then the recommended wattage is mentioned on the coil. Set it to the lowest wattage for the .4 coil that is 20w and take it up by 5w each time till you find the perfect spot.
It works best for me around 40watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread