Somebody point me to a free and easy bottle label program/template?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Gr8Scott, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott Super Member ECF Veteran

I can add fonts and artwork, but I just need something simple to put on my bottles. Something easily adjustable, that's not based on Microsoft Office graftware.

Donkeyshins :D

2. glasseye

glasseye Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    avery.com has a vast selection of templates to go with their self stick labels. I used to like it but they changed their format so now I just go through Word.

Bitters.

3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I just print out flavor names on Word, cut to size, and clear tape it to my cartotanks.

I looked into the fancy label makers, and although it would look nicer, it would be expensive and wasteful. The label makers waste way too much tape for the length of label that you actually use.

4. Thomasis

Thomasis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Buy lots of Sharpies, buy different colors if you get bored....
    Sorry, I could leave that one alone but I use a cheap handheld dymo label maker. If you buy the tape on Amazon, it's fairly cheap.
    I like them because the lables don't peel off when taking glass bottles out of the freezer from condesation.
    The other reason I like them is because my hand writing sucks.

5. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Not free, but Radio Shack has a Brother P-Touch labeler on sale for this weekend for $9.99

6. Regzzz

Regzzz Super Member ECF Veteran

I got one of those babies... Brother QL-700 | High Speed Label Printer

No waste in paper or labels length... of course it was a bit expensive, and I mainly use it for "other" stuff, but it works great. NOW, everything in the house is labeled!!!! even the individual toothpicks ! :lol::danger:

7. bazmonkey

bazmonkey Super Member ECF Veteran

I've never heard the term "graftware". In fact, google for "graftware office". This actual post is #2!!!

So, what's it mean? If you don't want to use Office but a document template would work, LibreOffice is what you need. It can read/write Office formatted documents and it's open source (free).

If you don't want to use a word processor template with any software suite... I got nothin'.

8. Renolizzie

Renolizzie Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    A label maker is the only sure fire way to make sure you labels stay legible. I've tried other methods and none of them worked for me.

9. gh0zt

gh0zt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the tip. We use the bigger handheld ones at work and have boxes of the tape. Hopefully they fit.

10. Rickajho

Supporting member
    You is welcome.

Not that I want to encourage any fact checking in pursuit of purloined label tape compatibility, but at Radio Shack it's item #11974610 and it's a Brother PT-1290. It's in the President's Day Weekend sales stuff. Full qwerty keyboard - nice.

11. djnecro

djnecro Full Member

Avery has an online template application that works well enough for my purposes. I hit their site, pick the type of label I am using (05667 at the moment). It has served my purposes so far.

Avery Design & Print Online

12. Gr8Scott

Well,
    I should explain :)

The idea of "graftware", though probably not correct, vocabulary wise, came to me as I was thinking about this ultra-fancy 4 digit $$$ computer that I am on now. Paid mucho dollars for my machine and Microsoft can't include an Office program? They give you a teaser

So I said "screw 'em" and went open source. Which is free.

Enter "LibreOffice"
    http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice/3000-18483_4-75337651.html

All the goodies of Windows office but 100% free!

Anyway,
    I appreciate all y'alls ideas. I didn't even think of a label maker :)

Brilliance! :)

13. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'm a dinosaur, so I use Microsoft Works. ;)

The mail-merge function has a gazillion label templates built in. Anyone want to label their bottles with 5½ inch floppy labels? I can, thanks to the miracle of Microsoft Works.

Just for grins, I googled "Microsoft Works." You can get version 9 for about $20. Mine, of course, is version 3. It came chipped on flint spearheads. Took me forever to enter all that assembler code. :blink:

14. Rickajho

Supporting member
    My second vote would be for the Avery software too, especially if you want/need to include your own artwork. That's what is gonna be missing from the labeler option. I've used the Avery software in the past and it does work well, especially if you need to turn out a boat load of stuff. But if you only need a few quick labels something like the Brother labeler is the hands down winner.

15. hammerfly

hammerfly Senior Member ECF Veteran

If you are against using Office, which I understand, there is another alternative. Open Office is free and can even save or open Office docs. I use their spreadsheet and word processor all the time. You can download it free at Open Office free download

16. serenity21899

serenity21899 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Well someone already beat me to the Open Office suggestion, but I really think a label maker is just easier. Even at full price, you can get a Brother P-touch for like $20 and the tape is cheap. I don't DIY, but I sometimes have to cut the nic, and do that in empty bottles. Properly formatted, the labels can be small, and they can be easily removed.

17. AuBadge

AuBadge Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I just use my Smart Label Printer.

18. Gr8Scott

Actually, that is exactly what I use, mostly, it's on my other machine. :) Both of them are born from Linux and Libre is the newest office program (meaning supposedly "new and improved" from OO and) included in Linux Distributions, intended to replace OpenOffice.

OO is really good though.

As far as the labeling machine, eh..the price is awesome, but I am thinking about delving into Avery a bit deeper :)

Thanks, all :)

19. bazmonkey

bazmonkey Super Member ECF Veteran

Just to clarify, LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice because Oracle acquired the trademark. They're nearly identical right now.

Oracle rubs the open source world the wrong way, so expect to see LibreOffice pull ahead rather quickly. If you're getting one now, get Libre.

20. mitzeli

mitzeli Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks so much!!! :banana: I have been wanting to get one of these and for this price I did!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.