Sony VTC4 2000mAh "use only in packs" 18650 Test Results...identical to other genuine VTC4's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Josh at The Village Vapor Company. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This version of the VTC4 has "DANGER DO NOT USE OUTSIDE OF BATTERY PACK" printed on the outside of the battery can. Its appearance and performance was otherwise identical to genuine VTC4's I have tested before. I've given it the same 23A 2100mAh rating that I gave the VTC4 version without this printing on the can

See those other test results here: Sony VTC4 2000mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 23A 2100mAh battery

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.png image.png

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    It appears Sony is quite serious about their insistance that consumers not use their batteries outside of battery packs, by adding the warning to the outside of the battery can. I agree with others who say it is probably a legal move to prevent potential litigation after a battery catastrophe if the battery is used alone.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    This version of the VTC4 has "DANGER DO NOT USE OUTSIDE OF BATTERY PACK" printed on the outside of the battery can.

It appears Sony is quite serious about their insistance that consumers not use their batteries outside of battery packs, by adding the warning to the outside of the battery can.

The first thought that came to my warped mind when I read the Sony warning from @Mooch's post was 'Great, now I can safely solder up a battery pack with these cells'.

:shock:

I agree with others who say it is probably a legal move to prevent potential litigation after a battery catastrophe if the battery is used alone.

Yup, but I can't help but feel they are really not doing themselves any favors with how they're going about it.

Then again, I'm no lawyer ... and there is also the warped mind thing to consider :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread