Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
They never were discontinued, they were discontinued for public sale.

Several vendors have authenticated them as new stock some dated just a few months ago.

Looks like sony finally got those new plants open and running
I tend to agree with the above, although I don't believe you'll get much convincing information from anyone about them. Sony never intended for these batteries to be sold on the open market in the first place. I believe Sony issued the statement that they would be discontinued (for litigation purposes - my thoughts), yet they continue to be seen in rechargeable power tools and have begun showing up on battery vendor websites like RTD, Illumn, and Orbtronics, all reputable vendors.

There was information that the main factory where the Sony VTC batteries were manufactured was damaged beyond repair in the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, and a new plant was being made in the Phillipines.

There is also the strong possibility that Sony was commissioning China factories to make VTC batteries, and that some of these are being leaked by the factories to vendors for the open market.

I saw them on Orbtronic, and also at RTD
RTD Vapor VTC5
I've been reading all morning about Sony, and everybody's opinions about what the heck has been going on...
I just want a 30A continuous battery.
With Orbtronic being a trusted company, what's up with the Orbtronic brand batteries?
IMR 18650 30A Orbtronic SX30 Ultra High Drain Hybrid Rechargeable Battery
To my best knowledge, the Orbtronic SX30 is a great option for the Sony VTC4 2100mah 30 amp battery. However, our own Mooch has done his own independent testing of the SX30:
Orbtronic SX30 30A 2100mAh Button-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...a 23A cell at best

Last edited:

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
To my best knowledge, the Orbtronic SX30 is a great option for the Sony VTC4 2100mah 30 amp battery. However, our own Mooch has done his own independent testing of the SX30:
Orbtronic SX30 30A 2100mAh Button-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...a 23A cell at best

Yeah, I read that post over the weekend...bummer
So, what the heck is a guy trying to sub ohm at .175 to do?
Are there just no 30 amp batteries on the market anymore?
I've got 20A purple efest
20A orange MNKE 26650
My understanding is that the 25r is a 20A batt
The new AW is 20A...
Would you use a vtc5 currently being offered by RTD in a build that low?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, what the heck is a guy trying to sub ohm at .175 to do?
Are there just no 30 amp batteries on the market anymore?

Would you use a vtc5 currently being offered by RTD in a build that low?
I personally wouldn't build that low. Everyone is free to set their own parameters, and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A batteries, that would be 10A. An Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

The batteries we have can be quite safe if you use the correct batteries and do not abuse them beyond their recommended amp limit. Most battery incidents result from user error or wrong calculations, or ignoring safe battery practices.

A battery venting in thermal runaway will release extremely hot gas, toxic chemicals, and possibly flames. Once this chemical reaction begins, there is no stopping it. The gas can build up inside a mod, and if there is inadequate venting the mod becomes a little pipe bomb.

Having said that, I believe that if any of the Reputable Big Four battery vendors (RTC Vapor, Illumn, Orbtronics, and Lighthound) claim to have authentic Sony VTC batteries, they're telling the truth. These four vendors have had stellar reputations for years and would never steer you wrong.

Last edited:

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
Well shoot...I thought I was being safe, staying at 24 amps on a 30 amp battery...but, point taken.
So, .175 puts the wattage just over 100.
If one gets a regulated, protected device...is it inherently safer to vape at that high a wattage?
I feel like an idiot asking that...I know there SUPPOSED to be safe, but then some folks vape at .0whatever and claim it's just fine.
Does the information in your last post only apply to mechanicals?
I've never had a higher end regulated device...after a couple of 12V mods, I went mech.
I'm wondering if I can get that .175vape, in a safe manner.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If one gets a regulated, protected device...is it inherently safer to vape at that high a wattage?
I feel like an idiot asking that...I know there SUPPOSED to be safe, but then some folks vape at .0whatever and claim it's just fine.
Does the information in your last post only apply to mechanicals?
I've never had a higher end regulated device...after a couple of 12V mods, I went mech.
I'm wondering if I can get that .175vape, in a safe manner.
It applies mostly to mechanical mods. Not that long ago people went to mechanical mods to be able to heat their e-liquid at higher temperature (via sub-ohms), as regulated mods at the time wouldn't fire a sub-ohm coil. That was because of processor amp limits and protected circuitry which saw a sub-ohm coil as a short.

A mech didn't have restrictions like a regulated mod, as it would supply the atty with whatever current (amps) the battery had available.

Now we have high wattage regulated devices designed with the additional power to heat normal resistance coils at higher temperatures without needing to build sub-ohm. It's all about understanding Ohm's Law.

With the newer high wattage regulated devices, the restrictions are not so much about battery amp limits but the amp limit of the chip itself.

why do people build super low ohm on a vv or vw device?

Last edited:

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
Well, after reading that, I feel like a noob again.
So, let's say I pick up whatever 150 watt device, look at the chart on steamengine, build to the specs of the device...
and let's say that I need to build .3 to .5 to get the full potential.
What I'm really wondering is, is the danger gone?
If I can fiddle with a regulated device, playing with builds, and get the same vape as .175ish on a mech...all while being (relatively) completely safe...I'm all for it.
I think until I get this all figured out, I'm pulling the Atlantis tanks out of the drawer...

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
They never were discontinued, they were discontinued for public sale.

Several vendors have authenticated them as new stock some dated just a few months ago.

Looks like sony finally got those new plants open and running
The plants aren't up and running. Grimmgreen read and linked an article released by Sony in a vlog recently telling everyone exactly when they stopped producing the vtc5 and it was at least one year ago. It basically warned that anyone selling them now is either really old stock or fakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
And yet some of the people reporting new stock are some of the most highly trusted battery retailers on the web........

Japan times ( japans wall street journal)

“Following the closure of the Tochigi plant, Sony will have just three domestic lithium-ion battery plants… By consolidating lithium-ion battery plants and improving efficiency, Sony aims to better compete with foreign rivals.”

Interestingly the article goes on to state the biggest threat sony sees is Tesla's new plant.

While i wont claim to know whats going on, especially in a highly secretive billion dollar industry, i do know i have the least amount of faith in vaping bloggers to come up with the truth from a massive multinational corporation who treats vaping as an annoyance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
And yet some of the people reporting new stock are some of the most highly trusted battery retailers on the web........

Japan times ( japans wall street journal)

“Following the closure of the Tochigi plant, Sony will have just three domestic lithium-ion battery plants… By consolidating lithium-ion battery plants and improving efficiency, Sony aims to better compete with foreign rivals.”

Interestingly the article goes on to state the biggest threat sony sees is Tesla's new plant
Does the article say anything specifically about vtc5s? "most highly trusted battery retailers on the Web" really? You mean people trying to sell stuff? There have been multiple articles over time about Sony condemning the consumer use of those cells. You believe a retailer claiming something is authentic that few people can really dispute when the actual electronics giant is saying they stopped making them a long time ago?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Does the article say anything specifically about vtc5s? "most highly trusted battery retailers on the Web" really? You mean people trying to sell stuff? There have been multiple articles over time about Sony condemning the consumer use of those cells. You believe a retailer claiming something is authentic that few people can really dispute when the actual electronics giant is saying they stopped making them a long time ago?

Hmmm lets see ........

if i was forced to choose i would trust the guys at illum supply and orbtronics over a doofy blogger any dayday.

So lets see why.

Orbronix openly calls out manufacturers on false claims even at the risk of losing sales. So it would seem money isn't thier only motivating factor

How about illum supply.
Well when he accidentally got duped into buying fakes. He went on a reddit and email campaign doing his best to search out and find every single cell he sold. Ate all the shipping costs and replaced the batteries.

So i find it highly unlikely he would willingly start selling the same fakes he just spent $1000's on recalling

Sounds like someone who cares a bit more then just making sales.

As compared to

Some numbnut on the internet who gets paid by getting people to click affiliate links in his videos. So more klickbait more money.

Sorry your b&m has his finger in your wallet but not all the top guys in this field are willing to stab vapors and ruin thier name over a few bucks in sales.

And just so its clear- i do not, have not and will not own any sony cells, so i have no stake in any point of view

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Hmmm lets see ........

if i was forced to choose i would trust the guys at illum supply and orbtronics over a doofy blogger any dayday.

So lets see why.

Orbronix openly calls out manufacturers on false claims even at the risk of losing sales. So it would seem money isn't thier only motivating factor

How about illum supply.
Well when he accidentally got duped into buying fakes. He went on a reddit and email campaign doing his best to search out and find every single cell he sold. Ate all the shippibg costs and replaced the batteries.

Sounds like someone who cares a bit more then just making sales.

As compared to

Some numbnut on the internet who gets paid by getting people to click affiliate links in his videos. So more klickbait more money.

Sorry your b&m has his finger in your wallet but not all the top guys in this field are willing to stab vapors and ruin thier name over a few bucks in sales.

And just so its clear- i do not, have not and will not own any sony cells, so i have no stake in any point of view
Why won't you own any Sony cells?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Why won't you own any Sony cells?

Looking back i see the wording is a bit negative and misleading. I dont mean it as - i have a grudge and refuse to buy them kind of thing.

More of a- i dont need the benefits of their cell, and just see no reason to buy any over what i use now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread