Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Mooch...
    It is very nice of you giving a lot of info esp for a newbie like me. So would you mind answering some of my questions..
    My set up vape device : Tarot pro 160 watt, using 2 sony vtc 6 (i hope a genuine one). My device read coil resistance is 0.42 ohm. I usually use at 27 to 33 watt (it shows range 3.3 V-3.7V). If im not mistaken its about 7-9 amp
    My questions are:
    1. Is it safe to use that setup? Does the safe maximum coil resistance i could build is about 0.2 ohm? Because i would love to experience vaping at maybe 70watt, should i lower the coil resistance at max 0.2 ohm or i should go higher in voltage?
    2. For vaping safety and experience, at what voltage do you reccomend? Or in this case no need to worry because i use a regulated mod?
    because I usually set wattage while also look at voltage and i am avoiding to go higher than 3.7V, and the lowest setup is about 3.3 V (gives me 27 to 33 watt)
    3. For safety transport, is it enough if I separate mod, rda (with coil and wick in it) and each batteries inside a sealed paper box for 10hours trip or is there something else that i should do to make it safer? Oh and should i empty my batteries for the trip maybe at 30% capacity or is it ok if its charged 100%)
    Thanks Mooch i really appreciate your help because i really sucks at this electricity thing lol

1) Coil resistance doesn't matter in a regulated mod when it comes to figuring out how hard your battery is being used. Only the power setting matters. Your VTC6's can be used at up to about 75W each but are best at 50W each and lower. That's 100W in a 2-battery mod.

2) The mod picks the voltage to give you the power level (wattage) you have chosen. No need to think about the voltage. It can go to any voltage without worries as that's not the battery voltage. It's the voltage of the regulator circuit.

3) The battery voltage won't matter for a trip. As long as the batteries are packed separately and can't touch anything they'll be ok.

Reactions: Mowgli

Red.art

Sep 19, 2017
    1) Coil resistance doesn't matter in a regulated mod when it comes to figuring out how hard your battery is being used. Only the power setting matters. Your VTC6's can be used at up to about 75W each but are best at 50W each and lower. That's 100W in a 2-battery mod.

2) The mod picks the voltage to give you the power level (wattage) you have chosen. No need to think about the voltage. It can go to any voltage without worries as that's not the battery voltage. It's the voltage of the regulator circuit.

3) The battery voltage won't matter for a trip. As long as the batteries are packed separately and can't touch anything they'll be ok.

Hi Mooch thank you so much for your fast reply.
    I still have some questions if you don't mind :)

1. So i don't have an external charger right now and i am charging it directly into the mod as the tarot pro allowed it. I use wall charger head 5v 0.5 A and sometimes i also charge it from laptop which i think also 0.5A. So is it okay as i read your post that its best for vtc6 to be charge at 1,5 A and I just have 0,5 A or my phone charger at 2 A. Which one is the best?
    2. Should i get an external charger right away or is it actually okay to charge directly into the mod?
    3. For sony vtc6, is it true that the best charging is when 30% up to just 80%?

Again,thank you so much Mooch I really appreciated your expertise :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    1) Either is ok, the mod will only draw from the charger what it's rated to take, or less if the charger isn't rated that high. I would use the 2A charger as it will run cooler.

2) Yes, get an external charger. No, I don't have one to recommend.

3) Yes, but that's really inconvenient. Just charge as you need to.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch , I don't see much info on internal resistance of batteries.
    What role does the internal resistance play in your battery ratings?

Directly? None.

But IR is the cause of the battery sag that determines the performance of the battery. It is also what heats up the battery and its temperature is hugely important in setting the rating.

I measure the IR of all the batteries I test but the data is not included in the test report. I use to but the number of questions and the misunderstanding of what the IR really meant was overwhelming.

I may add IR back in some time in the future after I, eventually, put up a video about it.

ddk1979

May 16, 2016
    Directly? None.

But IR is the cause of the battery sag that determines the performance of the battery. It is also what heats up the battery and its temperature is hugely important in setting the rating.

I measure the IR of all the batteries I test but the data is not included in the test report. I use to but the number of questions and the misunderstanding of what the IR really meant was overwhelming.

I may add IR back in some time in the future after I, eventually, put up a video about it.

Thanks @Mooch . Greatly appreciate your reply.

Reactions: Mooch

Micaela

Jun 7, 2017
    hi guys and mooch! i find myself facing a conondrum… could the batteries inside this box be fake?
    They do look pretty good but i still have my doubts
    I tried reading the qr code but only came up with a serial number and sony has nowhere to check those qr codes, which, would be a great idea and would avoid fake bats.
    i live abroad, most of the battery sites you recomend dont ship to my country and the only ones i know not to be fake for now are the efest but i know you dont trust them.
    So its not a money issue either because i pay actually more for these doubious cells here
    another one: is there any way to know if out if my vtc6s are fake or real?
    thank you mooch for teaching us so much

Attachments

• Sony_VTC6_500x500__50940.1474572899.1280.1280.jpg
      Sony_VTC6_500x500__50940.1474572899.1280.1280.jpg
      17.3 KB · Views: 200

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    hi guys and mooch! i find myself facing a conondrum… could the batteries inside this box be fake?
    They do look pretty good but i still have my doubts
    I tried reading the qr code but only came up with a serial number and sony has nowhere to check those qr codes, which, would be a great idea and would avoid fake bats.
    i live abroad, most of the battery sites you recomend dont ship to my country and the only ones i know not to be fake for now are the efest but i know you dont trust them.
    So its not a money issue either because i pay actually more for these doubious cells here
    another one: is there any way to know if out if my vtc6s are fake or real?
    thank you mooch for teaching us so much

No way to tell from the picture.
    Remove the wrap and see if the top insulating ring is glued on. Yes = fake.
    Or compare their performance to known genuine ones.

Why do you think they might be fake?

Reactions: Krypto909

andyyy

ECF Veteran
    Nov 22, 2012
    new jersey
    @Mooch hey, thank you for all the battery info you've given, there's tons to pour through lol. So I gotta question for ya.

Got a wismec sinuous p80 coming in the mail and had to pick a battery so I got a Sony vtc6. Are they a good match? Won't be vaping above 30w really. And am I fine charging through the mod or should I really invest in a charger?

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch hey, thank you for all the battery info you've given, there's tons to pour through lol. So I gotta question for ya.

Got a wismec sinuous p80 coming in the mail and had to pick a battery so I got a Sony vtc6. Are they a good match? Won't be vaping above 30w really. And am I fine charging through the mod or should I really invest in a charger?

That's a great choice. :)
    I don't know how well the charger in that mod works. An external charger is always a better idea IMHO though.

Threesixtyzero

Jul 9, 2015
    Hey Mooch thank you for everything that you do. I'm curious if there is two different kinds of VTC6 batteries? 3000mAh and 3100mAh? I bought 4 of these from a very highly rated vape shop. They were sold to me as VTC4s. I just recently noticed they say VTC6 on them. Trying to tune my escribe settings and went to read about my batteries and cannot find anything really about VTC6 3100mAh. Did they just label these wrong?

Attachments

• 1509734722462828361583.jpg
      1509734722462828361583.jpg
      3.6 MB · Views: 214

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey Mooch thank you for everything that you do. I'm curious if there is two different kinds of VTC6 batteries? 3000mAh and 3100mAh? I bought 4 of these from a very highly rated vape shop. They were sold to me as VTC4s. I just recently noticed they say VTC6 on them. Trying to tune my escribe settings and went to read about my batteries and cannot find anything really about VTC6 3100mAh. Did they just label these wrong?

Same battery.
    Its rated capacity is 3000mAh. It's "nominal", i.e., typical, capacity is 3120mAh.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Everyone ...Really looking for feedback on the genuine Sony VC7 can anybody advise me as i am about to do a deal on several thousand of these.

I haven't tested them yet. Have you compared their performance to good high capacity cells like the Sanyo NCR18650GA, LG MJ1, or Panasonic NCR18650B or G (for very low power vaping)?

Rokz

Nov 23, 2017
    I haven't tested them yet. Have you compared their performance to good high capacity cells like the Sanyo NCR18650GA, LG MJ1, or Panasonic NCR18650B or G (for very low power vaping)?
    Well really looking for some personal experiences as i have been dealing in the IT industry for years and one of the company's i deal with have a pallet of these for sale at a really good price and very tempted in purchasing them,however i noticed all places are sold out of these !

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Well really looking for some personal experiences as i have been dealing in the IT industry for years and one of the company's i deal with have a pallet of these for sale at a really good price and very tempted in purchasing them,however i noticed all places are sold out of these !
    Note that if they are indeed 8 amps they won't be the most interesting batteries for modern vapers.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mooch

KGB7

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    Rockville, MD
    @Mooch !!

What’s going on dude?

I see you still holding down the fort and testing the batteries. That’s great dude, as always, I do appreciate it.

Bought x4 VTC6 batteries few days ago based on your tests. Going to retire or give away my 2 year old LG hg2 batteries, which are still going strong.
    Can I send them to you for testing??
    I’m also tired looking at the poop-brown wrapping...lol.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch !!

What’s going on dude?

I see you still holding down the fort and testing the batteries. That’s great dude, as always, I do appreciate it.

Bought x4 VTC6 batteries few days ago based on your tests. Going to retire or give away my 2 year old LG hg2 batteries, which are still going strong.
    Can I send them to you for testing??
    I’m also tired looking at the poop-brown wrapping...lol.

I've tested the HG2 extensively. I'm not quite sure why you want them tested?

Last edited:

KGB7

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    Rockville, MD
    I've tested the HG2 extensively. I'm not quite sure you want them tested?

Just wondering if you want to test x4 LG batteries and post a report on two year old batteries, using your battery testing methodology.

Personally, im curious, why the LGs are doing so much better after two years vs year old Samsung 25r blue wrap that I bought back in 2014.

It’s up to you dude, thought it would be a fun experiment.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Just wondering if you want to test x4 LG batteries and post a report on two year old batteries, using your battery testing methodology.

Personally, im curious, why the LGs are doing so much better after two years vs year old Samsung 25r blue wrap that I bought back in 2014.

It’s up to you dude, thought it would be a fun experiment.

Ahhh...ok. I would need to have done controlled discharges on them in order to be able to conclude anything. Without controlling all the variables involved we couldn't make any general conclusions about how the batteries would behave over time for most people. Just how they aged for you. :)

My 10 week backlog of cells to test keeps me from doing a lot of other testing too.
    Thank you for the offer though!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread