Sore throat and swollen glands

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone, I'm new here, just found you all tonight. I started vaping approx four weeks ago. I've smoked on off since late teens. I'm 42. April 2015 we lost our 11yr old son and I used smoking as a coping mechanism. I have to stop. My other children need me. Tried the patch and gum with no cessation. vaping has seemed like a miracle. Amazingly I haven't snuck a cigarette in weeks. I bought an Endura T18 at our local smokers choice and a delicious strawberry flavor 70% VG liquid with 6mg nicotine. Seems perfect except this wicked sore throat and swollen glands. I went to my doctor thinking I must have an infection. Took a round of antibiotics which did make the symptoms go away but they are back just one week later. I did a little research and found this could happen from vaping. What do I do now? Is it a glycerin irritation/allergy. Should I stop Vaping. I was so hopeful I could actually quit cigarettes. Any advice would be amazing. So glad this group exists. Thank you
Welcome and glad you joined. Sounds to me like you are PG intolerant, so am I. Could try 80VG/20PG juice ratios to start testing. Might have to go to full VG e liquids depending on severity. Then again, I could be wrong.
Might like to read:
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Angelmom

Mar 29, 2017
Hello and welcome! It could possibly be the flavor you are using. I've found that some flavors do the same for me, strawberry based or tart flavors. Try switching to a different flavor like a tobacco or possibly something more mellow. Are you experiencing any spit back? When you vape do you feel liquid shooting out from the mouthpiece? In my experience that has also caused a sorethroat, if so use a qtip and try to absorb all the juice at the bottom of the coil.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The Fugly vaper

Mar 31, 2017
I purchased a different flavor and already my throat is feeling a bit better. Hope this continues. Yay!!! I would be so relieved if it was just a flavor sensitivity. Thanks for the advice :)
Hiya Angelmom - firstly sorry for your sad loss.
As for your symptoms - you probably know by now that any or all of the things that have been said to you could be causing your sore throat. When I started vaping (just over 18 months ago) I started on 18mg nicotine and slowly reduced it to 3mg (been there for around 6 months now).
I coughed my lungs up for the first 2 - 3 weeks, had a sore throat and vapers tongue but was determined to quit (haven't had a cigarette since my first vape) because I had spent the money I WOULD have spent on cigarettes in a week on my vaping set up. After years of smoking, your body will be treating your vaping as a "foreign body" and be trying to cleanse itself - just know that you're doing the right thing and give your body time to re-adjust.
You seem to be getting the sore throats under control by changing your flavours (try a cream or a dessert) but, as has been said already, buy from a reputable supplier. Check out the millions of YouTube reviews of e-liquids (like me lol), and get the names of the suppliers of those e-liquids, and try 1 or 2 that you think you may like.
Good luck on your journey, and please stick with it - it WILL be worth it.

Angelmom

Mar 29, 2017
Hiya Angelmom - firstly sorry for your sad loss.
As for your symptoms - you probably know by now that any or all of the things that have been said to you could be causing your sore throat. When I started vaping (just over 18 months ago) I started on 18mg nicotine and slowly reduced it to 3mg (been there for around 6 months now).
I coughed my lungs up for the first 2 - 3 weeks, had a sore throat and vapers tongue but was determined to quit (haven't had a cigarette since my first vape) because I had spent the money I WOULD have spent on cigarettes in a week on my vaping set up. After years of smoking, your body will be treating your vaping as a "foreign body" and be trying to cleanse itself - just know that you're doing the right thing and give your body time to re-adjust.
You seem to be getting the sore throats under control by changing your flavours (try a cream or a dessert) but, as has been said already, buy from a reputable supplier. Check out the millions of YouTube reviews of e-liquids (like me lol), and get the names of the suppliers of those e-liquids, and try 1 or 2 that you think you may like.
Good luck on your journey, and please stick with it - it WILL be worth it.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

Angelmom

Mar 29, 2017
Thank you for all this great advice. I am sticking with it so far. I did Google Vape flavors two weeks ago and began to feel an anxiety attack. There is so much information and it felt like an overload. A lot of this is just me, grief on this level causes a huge overload. So that's why I'm shying away from watching all those videos. I'm sure they are wonderful and full of information I could use, it's just too overwhelming. If I can choose a quality manufacturer I will just choose a couple flavors to try and probably go to 12 mg vs 6mg. Maybe I'm Vaping to much because I was smoking a pack a day and then the guy at the store advised 6mg to begin with. Now I'm learning that may not be enough.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.
Glad you found us.
Smoking was never this fun. And it is loads better for us also.

A couple of ejuice vendors come to mind. Freedomsmokeusa uses all FlavourArt flavorings and has good ejuice. Ecigexpress is another good ejuice vendor. Not affilated to either in any way other than I have bought from both as a customer.

If nothing else, just look to get an idea of what flavors are out there.

So sorry to read of your loss. Words are never enough, just know there are others who stand beside you.

:)

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
@Angelmom I'm just a tootle puffer! I use a eleaf istick 20w, I know they're still out there. Just google, last I saw them they're about $30ish. I bought several the last time Only issue I've had is occassionally the threading will strip (especially if you drop them with the tank on) but you can find remedies for that on google too! hth!

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Thank you for all this great advice. I am sticking with it so far. I did Google Vape flavors two weeks ago and began to feel an anxiety attack. There is so much information and it felt like an overload. A lot of this is just me, grief on this level causes a huge overload. So that's why I'm shying away from watching all those videos. I'm sure they are wonderful and full of information I could use, it's just too overwhelming. If I can choose a quality manufacturer I will just choose a couple flavors to try and probably go to 12 mg vs 6mg. Maybe I'm Vaping to much because I was smoking a pack a day and then the guy at the store advised 6mg to begin with. Now I'm learning that may not be enough.
Hi Angelmom- sorry about the loss of your son- I lost mine too. There is no way to describe the pain and I understand.
I started vaping over 2 years ago to quit my 30+ year cigarette addiction, I bought the Mistic Bridge Kits and some cartridges and eliquids instead of cigarettes and those worked for me.Those and "Will Power"! Going up higher nic could give you more sore throats, quitting cigs can give you sore throats and coughing, too high a pg can give sore throats, different flavors too, just keep drinking water and I gargle warm salt water at night.
My move up vape in the beginning was the Innokin iTaste vv/vw with the Kanger eVod 2 tanks and Kanger pro mini tanks with above ohm coils like 1.8Ω then you can use higher nic like 12- 24nic.
Using sub ohm tanks means lower the nic like 6- 3 nic and I use a higher vg while sub ohming. I usually like the .5 coils for subΩ
Quitting cigarettes is hard- while vaping can help, you still need" will power " at least for me. Cigs are hard to give up and you have to get rid of them like a bad friend, put them out of your mind, they will be calling your name and will do anything to stay in your life! Just vape more, and stay strong! Just go to a vape shop and find a flavor that you like more than cigarettes and try not to give in!
Best of Luck!

Angelmom

Mar 29, 2017
Hi Angelmom- sorry about the loss of your son- I lost mine too. There is no way to describe the pain and I understand.
I started vaping over 2 years ago to quit my 30+ year cigarette addiction, I bought the Mistic Bridge Kits and some cartridges and eliquids instead of cigarettes and those worked for me.Those and "Will Power"! Going up higher nic could give you more sore throats, quitting cigs can give you sore throats and coughing, too high a pg can give sore throats, different flavors too, just keep drinking water and I gargle warm salt water at night.
My move up vape in the beginning was the Innokin iTaste vv/vw with the Kanger eVod 2 tanks and Kanger pro mini tanks with above ohm coils like 1.8Ω then you can use higher nic like 12- 24nic.
Using sub ohm tanks means lower the nic like 6- 3 nic and I use a higher vg while sub ohming. I usually like the .5 coils for subΩ
Quitting cigarettes is hard- while vaping can help, you still need" will power " at least for me. Cigs are hard to give up and you have to get rid of them like a bad friend, put them out of your mind, they will be calling your name and will do anything to stay in your life! Just vape more, and stay strong! Just go to a vape shop and find a flavor that you like more than cigarettes and try not to give in!
Best of Luck!

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
My father had the same problem when he started vaping. Besides drinking lots of water he ate a tea spoon of peanut butter to ease the sore throat! If you don't mind the calories it may work for you! Now he doesn't need it but it helped him to quit cigarettes and stay vaping.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread