Sores in Mouth and Burnt Tongue - Heated Micro Spheres of Death!

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by MrSmith99, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSmith99

MrSmith99 Senior Member ECF Veteran

OK, so the title is a little melodramatic.... But I thought this post may help some people.

Problem:
    I was using an Ego and 510 with various e-liquid from various vendors. I started getting sores in my mouth. I thought my problem might be that I had some atty's that were going out/clogged and I was sucking on the e-cig too hard. I replaced the atty's and got bigger vapor but was still getting sores in my mouth like crazy. Once or twice I really burnt my tongue bad somehow (Heat? Chemical?) I suspect the whole "I can't taste anything anymore" is related. Seriously, it didn't matter what juice I used. It wasn't like that when I started vaping.
    For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what I was doing different. And it wasn't like an infection at all. It was like being burnt with heat or chemicals, slowly..... over days.

Answer:
    Then my mod showed up. I got a black/black Reo Grand. It makes mountains of vapor with no effort. For some reason all the sores in my mouth went away. And what is crazy is that the mod puts out way more vapor/chemicals. So, I don't think it is the e-juice makeup that caused the sores.

Heated Micro Spheres of Death:
    The only thing I can think of as a cause is this: I would start vaping with an Ego or 510. In a attempt to get more more vapor I would unconsciously suck harder on the e-cig. This would cause heated vapor to enter my mouth and burn me. Perhaps it was just little micro spheres of heated vapor. I never felt that I was being burnt when it was happening. It would take a day or so for sores to show up.
    But with the mod I have all the vapor I want and thus don't hardly drawl on the mod at all.

Conclusion:
    I think if you hit an e-cig hard and try to drawl vapor from it that small heated vapor droplets burn your mouth and tongue. I think in the short run you can loose your taste and over a couple of days it can cause sores in your mouth or on your tongue.
    The fix for me was to get a better e-cig that i didn't have to drawl on. Your mileage may vary...

Other Remedies:
    All of this is pure speculation. But I think that heated micro spheres of liquid/vapor is a good candidate for what I have experienced and what I hear from others. I think a 2 or 3 inch extension would not be out of the question. Perhaps even a mesh screen to help cool the vapor. I may try this with my Ego and 510's. It probably wouldn't hurt to use it on my mod as well.

Comments?

2. LauraBolyard

LauraBolyard Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just today noticing the same thing. Toongue feels burnt in the middle. Been vaping about six weeks using various models. I like the mini cig styles, but I DO have to pull a lot more. Maybe that's what's burning my tongue

3. lawnman3

lawnman3 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

i have found that the higher voltage mods do that / burning ... i use a 5 volt mod now and problem is gone... but everyone is diffrent in my opp...

lawnman3...

4. Tracy68

Tracy68 Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm confused. Not really very technical here but my husband has a provari, which as far as I can understand has a much hotter vapour than my Ego,(I've had a few drags and it feels much warmer) but still I can't imagine that his vapour could get anywhere near hot enough to actually burn the tongue?
    As soon as the vapour comes out it begins to lose temperature - I would guess.

Personally I am convinced that the issues surrounding sore tongues and mouths are due to the nicotine because it's a known fact that nicotine is a skin irritant.
    I feel that somehow we don't get quite the same irritation with cigarettes because of the filter.
    The gums and nicotine inhalers can cause the same problem apparently.
    I'm wondering whether the drying effects of the PG or VG combined with the irritant effect of the nicotine is to blame?
    I'm now into my third bout of geographic tongue. If you looked at it you would swear I have 'burnt" it but that's not what it is at all.

Anyway, whatever helps your tongues.... but I just can't see that the vapours heat itself would be able to actually burn it?

5. LauraBolyard

Today is the first day I have felt this, maybe it could be the nicotine. Don't yet know, but curious if others have found this also, and possible reasons. Not tying to hijack your thread mr smith, but I find it ironic you posted this today!

6. LadyLynx

LadyLynx Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I got sores on my tongue as well, but they have gone away. I'm pretty sure it was a cig withdrawl thing, is that possible for you? I had some pretty weird symptoms and that was one of them.

7. Water Plus Fire

Water Plus Fire Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just for shiggles, What are you all vaping?

8. Tracy68

I'm vaping PG - spearmint flavour. 12 mg nic. My tongue reacted the same with VG and strawberry.

9. OrthodoxAtheist

OrthodoxAtheist Senior Member ECF Veteran

I presume you've already PM'd each other to check you aren't purchasing from the same vendor?

I concur with Tracy re temperatures. My eGo draws so cool I sometimes wonder if its turned off, and even chain vaping it has barely gotten warm, so I can't imagine getting to the temperatures required to burn. The very few times I've got e-liquid on my lip(s), usually pre- or post-cleaning sessions, it is apparent within about 10 seconds... nothing you wouldn't notice long enough to cause a burn.

I'd be tempted to think more along the lines of vendor quality control, diet (drink/acidic food residue) + vaping, reaction of oral vaped particles from different juices (switch flavors often?) or even any prescription medication being a factor. Whatever the cause, the community would benefit greatly from at least one suffering finding the answer. Reading this makes me a little paranoid about experimenting with different juices.

(I'm still a relative noob so feel free to ignore my advice/opinions until 100+ posts) :D

10. Outre

Outre Senior Member ECF Veteran

I had mouth sores within a week after I started using my Riva 510 that cleared up in another week and haven't had any since.

I can't say for certain, but the body is a wonderful machine that can and does clean out old crap as fast as it can once it's able to.

I chalked it up to not filling my mouth with what? 60 chemicals in analog cigarettes? and the body tissue cleared out some iffy patches that were hanging around.

11. Tracy68

When you say "mouth sores" I presume you mean mouth ulcers?
    I have read that this is a very common side effect of quitting smoking and occurs even when people quit cold turkey - no vaping involved.
    Our bodies surely must go through such a shock physically giving up all those chemicals, but also psychologically so I can understand mouth ulcers because these are also commonly associated with stress and being physically run down.
    Overall sore and irritated mouths and tongues though seem to be something different altogether.
    The warning labels say that the possible side effects (for some people) from nicotine products - gums, lozengers, inhalers, are sore tongue, mouth and throat so it seems logical to me that what we're doing by vaping /inhaling nicotine would have a similar effect on people who are sensitive to the irritating effects of nicotine.

We all know that if we were to drop some nic juice directly on our tongues ( I don't recommend it) that in all probability it will burn and irritate our tongue almost immediately. You know the feeling it gives you on your lips.
    So why then with constantly inhaling vapour containing nicotine through our mouths would this NOT have a cumulative effect of eventually causing irritation?

What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't EVERYONE who vapes end up with a sore mouth or tongue?
    You would think that those who vape very high strengths of nic juice would be the most likely ones to end up with something sore in their mouth ?
    So there again I have to wonder if it's the combination of nicotine and the drying effects of vaping either PG or VG because this in itself would be a very individual thing depending on how each of us hydrates ourselves and tolerates the PG or VG.

In some cases it might actually be the flavouring itself - cinnamon I have read is one to avoid. (I make candles and on occasion have accidentally got some of the cinnamon fragrance oil on my lip as I've sniffed the bottle and my God does it sting like crazy, and for some candle makers it actually makes them physically sick to pour that fragrance.)
    I have no idea though whether other flavourings can cause irritation. Even though the flavours we vape are generally approved as far as food use it's unlikely any of us chew or suck on one particular flavoured "food" ALL day EVERY day to know if it's going to irritate our mouths.
    And then of course you have to consider individual intolerances/allergies.

Far too many variables really to really be able to come to any answer that makes real sense. :(

I'm just hoping that this is something my tongue will eventually get used to and maybe it will settle down over time but I do have some concerns at the fact that I am doing something that is obviously causing localized irritation on a daily basis.
    BUT, considering the harmful effect smoking was having on my entire body I think I am still better off vaping.

12. Alžběta Madragana

Alžběta Madragana Super Member ECF Veteran

Excellent advice here for sure. Regarding the 'Heated Micro Spheres of Death' - I get those too - but only when I flood my carto from putting too much juice in it. Blow out the thread end, wipe with a cloth or tissue and try it again. That has been my experience a few times on overfilling my carto or atty. You might also try unflavoured juice as well..

13. LauraBolyard

I have stated in other posts recently that I screwed up my juice order and had to vape all the unknown crap that I had laying around. It's possible that's why!

14. Alžběta Madragana

Oh my. '..had to vape all the unknown crap that I had laying around.' - I bet that sucked. But for me, it would be a joy, coz I'm a MIXER. I mix everything. Soft Drinks, Coffee, e-juice, - you name it, I mix it, LOL. I have a nice little 'Texas Tarheel' e-juice mixx that is mostly VG, and it is maybe 5 percent PG, but I vape 50 percent 'TX Tarheel' and 50 percent DeKang. Killer vapour. Using 'ThePuck' (boxmod) I made at 4,8 volts, it kicks out the vapour and gives me a wonderful TH at the same time. If only I had known about modding before I spent all that $$ trying to find what works for me.
    So. Hit up this Thread if you want to learn all about 'The Puck' - it's very easy to make - I made 2 for about $12,- from Radio Shack parts...
    Thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/105465-now-puck-cheap-parts-easy.html

15. r77r7r

r77r7r Vaping Master ECF Veteran

These "spheres"- can I get that at BWB or Mrs. T's? I'm still looking for my all day vape.

16. Alžběta Madragana

Hehehheeeeee good one! All day vape in as, batts lasting all day, or e-juice you stick with all day?

17. Kurt

Kurt Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    In my opinion, it could be smoking withdrawal, but with me it was definitely too much PG. Once I switched to VG juices, problem was solved, as well as dry mouth and other PG-related issues in the gut. Flavorings are generally in PG, though, so I keep flavors in my DIY juices to 10% or less. More than that and here come the mouth sores again.

Heat and high nic will also cause this, but what you describe is very common to those sensitive to PG. And if you are also getting cotton mouth, I would say it is definitely the PG.

18. LauraBolyard

I'm wondering if I'm just "pulling" too much. Recent analog quitter of about six weeks and chain vaping!! It IS a lot of pulling that I am not used to

19. Alžběta Madragana

Do your e-cigs draw easy, are you really have to pull hard to get vapour? Generally, in my experience I've found it's the cartomizer.. hope this helps you.

20. LauraBolyard

actually yes... I noticed the sore tongue when I insisted on making use of 'crap' 808's!! Yes., a lot of pull!! Really havent noticed an issue since Ive resigned myself to riva 510 and DC cartos!

: provari
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.