Travel and Vaping Southwest Airlines Prohibits E-Cigs use On Board because of Battery?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagobrad01

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
SWA just recently sent out a memo about Electronic Cigs and the reason they're not gonna allow them is because the battery hasn't been approved for use while on board. Are you kidding me?!? Outta ALL the reasons or things they could come up with on why not to allow them they choose the battery...LAME!

Guess I should start checking every passengers electronic devices to make sure the batterys are "approved" from now on...geeesh!

I mean that's fine if they wanna say they can't be used while on board, but to have our Flight Attendants, that aren't in the know, out there saying its because the batteries aren't approved is BS. I'd laugh in my own face (I'm a Stew). The ScrewDriver uses a battery that can be found in a digital camera, a small LED flashlight (which btw a flashlight is required to be carried by all FA's while on duty), and I'm sure several other devices people use on board.

I'd like to write a formal letter to the CEO about this, but need a little help from my buds here at ECF. Any ideas on what this should include or how to approch this?

Here's a copy of the memo so you guys can see just how stupid it sounds.

Since electronic cigarettes contain a lithium battery, they are not approved for use onboard Southwest Airlines flights. Some Flight Attendants have been experiencing Customers attempting to use electronic cigarettes on flights, and we ask that you politely educate Customers on this policy.
For those of you who may not know, electronic cigarettes are a relatively new product that allows the user to experience inhaling nicotine without lighting a cigarette. Even though the device does not require a match to light it, it does contain a lithium battery and since Southwest is required to control the use of all electronic devices onboard the aircraft, we have made the decision to prohibit use of electronic cigarettes.
CFR 91.21, Portable Electronic Devices, requires air carriers to determine whether a particular PED will cause interference when operated aboard its aircraft. The responsibility for permitting passenger use of a particular PED technology lies solely with the operator. Thank you for helping us remain consistent with this policy.

Last edited:

chicagobrad01

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Not to mention the Credit Card Machines the FA's use operate on Lithium Ion Batteries, along with Laptops, Cell Phone's (which can be used in Game or Airplane Mode when In Flight), Portable DVD players, Mp3 players, them digital books. The list goes on and on!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Energizer and Duracell also now make some AA's & AAA's in Lithium.

Last edited:

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Problem solved, ya know they will come up with another excuse!

ptjd-albums-israel-picture1009-usb-laptop.jpg

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Fricking absurd. I'll find another airline less saturated with idiots to get where I have to go (assuming there are any :).

Not only do you have to put up with space that would make a cattle car look roomy but ...... who just want power over (probably remind them of tobacco sigs, something they can transfer their hate and ignorace from to be able to wave their {male body part} in you face). Disgusting...

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
SWA just recently sent out a memo about Electronic Cigs and the reason they're not gonna allow them is because the battery hasn't been approved for use while on board.

A letter would be fine, but as I interpret the memo, they are banning the use of the device. They're *not* refusing to allow them on board. There's a difference there. Let's be careful what we say so they won't decide to ban them completely. If you read between the lines, they've left themselves open to possibly allow them at a future date.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Yes, we want to be able to bring them with us so when we "pee" we can take a few drags. LOL I would never dream of vaping in my seat anyhow unless it was totally allowed and openly allowed. However, I want to at least bring my through security!!

You got it! I've noticed that although they claim there is no odor, that vaping has a distinct smell. It's not a bad smell, and I can't link it to another similar smell, but it's there. It's very faint at times, but its there. The atomizer burns off the juice, and almost anything that burns will create an odor.

I flew Southwest from Oakland, CA to Houston, TX last Friday. 4 1/2 hour direct flight. After 2 hours, I made my way to the rear lavatory to take a quick hit. As I passed the rows about 3/4 back, I detected that smell. I knew someone was vaping in their seat.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I think it's best to just chew nic gum or something while flying, but to have our PV for when we get off the plane or have layovers, it can easily be done discreet in the airport or in the bathrooms in the airports. At least we don't have to go through all the security to go outside to smoke anymore. There are ways around it, so I just want to be able to still carry on my e cig.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I think it's best to just chew nic gum or something while flying, but to have our PV for when we get off the plane or have layovers, it can easily be done discreet in the airport or in the bathrooms in the airports. At least we don't have to go through all the security to go outside to smoke anymore. There are ways around it, so I just want to be able to still carry on my e cig.

So now people are seeing a negative reaction to the e-cig. I was always against flaunting them until the issues were sorted out. Now we're starting to pay for it. My employer doesn't even know that I vape yet. He only knows that I quit analogs.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I'd like to write a formal letter to the CEO about this, but need a little help from my buds here at ECF. Any ideas on what this should include or how to approch this?

You can start by telling them that they are slightly misinformed. Point out that the e-cig can operate without a lithium battery, thus rendering it exempt from the battery argument, since they can be powered by a laptop or any other flight legal device with a USB port.

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
Not to mention the Credit Card Machines the FA's use operate on Lithium Ion Batteries, along with Laptops, Cell Phone's (which can be used in Game or Airplane Mode when In Flight), Portable DVD players, Mp3 players, them digital books. The list goes on and on!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Energizer and Duracell also now make some AA's & AAA's in Lithium.

Yes, my Cannon Digital always has two Energizer lithium batteries in it and I carry it on board with me.

TSA, as written, is confusing because I think they want all batteries on person as opposed to in luggage.

Skad

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Biloxi, MS
You got it! I've noticed that although they claim there is no odor, that vaping has a distinct smell. It's not a bad smell, and I can't link it to another similar smell, but it's there. It's very faint at times, but its there. The atomizer burns off the juice, and almost anything that burns will create an odor.

Several people have told me it smells like air freshener, especially the fruity flavors.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Several people have told me it smells like air freshener, especially the fruity flavors.

My wife says she get a whiff of vanilla occasionally. But I'm sensing an actual burning smell, but it's not an offensive or alarming odor. I just cant place it. It is totally unique, and I can smell when a person is vaping near by.

Nelson

Apr 24, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
You can start by telling them that they are slightly misinformed. Point out that the e-cig can operate without a lithium battery, thus rendering it exempt from the battery argument, since they can be powered by a laptop or any other flight legal device with a USB port.

Technically you still powering it by a lithium-ion battery since thats what laptops run on....imagine the out rage when they ban laptops!!

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Technically you still powering it by a lithium-ion battery since thats what laptops run on....imagine the out rage when they ban laptops!!

I honestly think if an airline ever bans laptop's PDA's, and other lithium ion devices, they will loose their entire business class passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread