Spectrum's Tankapalooza - Hyper Color Pyrex Tanks and Tips for RBA's and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Another good question. I wanted to tie the AGA-T tanks in with the Cobra's. The closest tubing is 0.2mm off in wall thickness so I decided to hold off until I could test a few prototypes. The OD is the same and seeing how it has the gasket set-up I'm sure they'll fit nicely. Probably over cautious on my part but I need to be certain.

I look forward to the results! I wanna order a purple one ASAP.. that pic of it looks amazing. LOVE that colour! :)

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
well dang it. now I might need Shorties too
This is for you tybin:D

20hwkch.jpg

Huejazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Tulsa OK
spectrum. can you talk about the differences between fused quartz and pyrex?

Pyrex is far more durable Tybin, Fused quartz is very heat resistant and such, but its so hard that its very brittle and does not handle shock well. Pyrex can handle plenty of heat and is more resistant to vibration and shock... there is a downfall to it, but I can't remember what it is at this time (I work with both at work on some of the ignighters we build for our pilots) When we open the boxes that the fused quartz is shipped to us in, almost always there is about 20% breakage just from shipping...

murtcepS

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Michigan
spectrum. can you talk about the differences between fused quartz and pyrex?

Thermal properties and expansion rates are the primary differences. Pyrex/Borosilicate is the material of choice due to the coloring process. Here’s some information on the tubing that’s being sourced to make the tanks….

Simax glass is an excellent quality borosilicate glass with a coefficient of expansion (COE) of 33. Simax glass is also known as borosilicate, and is commonly called "hard" glass. Simax glass is perfectly clear, smooth, and non-porous. Borosilicate like Simax is uniquely suited to industrial uses due to its high heat-resistance and chemical stability. These same properties make Simax glass the perfect choice for all laboratory or scientific applications, where the glass may be exposed to high temperatures or abrupt temperature changes.

Simax glass is chemically neutral, and is not harmful to the environment. These characteristics have made Simax glass uniquely suited not only as a glass for the most-demanding industrial settings but also as a glass for household cook-wear. Artists value Simax glass for its slightly longer working time and its high optic quality.

Last edited:

ninfreak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
burkesville, kentucky
Pyrex is far more durable Tybin, Fused quartz is very heat resistant and such, but its so hard that its very brittle and does not handle shock well. Pyrex can handle plenty of heat and is more resistant to vibration and shock... there is a downfall to it, but I can't remember what it is at this time (I work with both at work on some of the ignighters we build for our pilots) When we open the boxes that the fused quartz is shipped to us in, almost always there is about 20% breakage just from shipping...

the downfall you speak of has to deal with how metal and pyrex deal with each other in a cold enviroment....they don't get along. pyrex expands/contracts with temps while quartz pretty much doesn't. so if you have a huge thermal increase on pyrex it could shatter when being in contact with metal.which is the main reason zen went with quartz(hes from new york so this was a legitimate concern for him) unless you are playing out in the snow a bunch this is not a big deal.

Last edited:

murtcepS

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Michigan
I just wanted to let everyone know that I prefer not to accept any payments until the tanks are ready to go. However I have a reserve list going, and would be happy to set aside anything you like. I’m going to send out invoices when it’s time to ship so please include your PayPal email if you decide to place an order.

Anyone that’s already on the reserve list please PM me your PayPal email when you get a chance.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
Hello Spectrum. First love your avatar, second i used to go to a club with your name in brooklyn back in the day. Third are these only for specific attys? Do you have these with caps and stuff for say a Provari? I've been searching all over for rainbow colored ones and these def fit what im looking for. Looking for them to fit XL cartos. Thanks for reading and your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread