Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Apart from preference and individual design, neodymium magnets are brittle/fragile and can be prone to breaking when stripping and cleaning the button as they like to snap back together forcefully. In my opinion the feel of the button has more to do with the button design than what is holding the parts apart.

UvaperU

Oct 31, 2015
Winston GA
Thanks you all for the input. The one that gave me shinyitis is a penny mod with a mutation x v4 dripper. Both are copper and look really cool to me. The mod does have a spring. I think I'll go ahead and jump. After all, I can always look at one with magnets later when the bug hits me again right? LOL
Loving vaping and the vaping community! You guys and gals are great!

Reactions: suprtrkr

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks you all for the input. The one that gave me shinyitis is a penny mod with a mutation x v4 dripper. Both are copper and look really cool to me. The mod does have a spring. I think I'll go ahead and jump. After all, I can always look at one with magnets later when the bug hits me again right? LOL
Loving vaping and the vaping community! You guys and gals are great!

Cool.

Hey BTW - Is you Avatar related to the "Eye in the Sky" ?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey, no it's not related to any special meaning except that I just think it looks cool. LOL
I found this one researching the "Eye of Ra" and liked it. I also use it as a band logo for a local blues/rock band I play with.

It is a Cool Design.

The reason I noticed it is since Bowie and Glenn Frey died, I have been listening to a Lot of Older Music. And this is one of the Classic Albums from that Era.

500_foto1_product_groot.jpg

Reactions: UvaperU

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Springs can cause the switch to become crunchy and get worn out over time. Magnets normally last longer due to little friction and has an overall cleaner throw. Some magnets can make it a harder throw depending on how strong the magnets are and the size of them.

I think maybe you misunderstand the mechanics of most switches. They are not and should not be part of the electrical path. If the button is crunchy, that's due to the parts in the switch that mate and slide against each other. The spring or the magnets just provide the repulsive force that resists the push, and returns the mechanism to it's off state.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think maybe you misunderstand the mechanics of most switches. They are not and should not be part of the electrical path. If the button is crunchy, that's due to the parts in the switch that mate and slide against each other. The spring or the magnets just provide the repulsive force that resists the push, and returns the mechanism to it's off state.

I'm not much of a Mech Mod user.

But How Many Spring Switches are out there where the Spring is Not part of the Electrical Path?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'm not much of a Mech Mod user.
But How Many Spring Switches are out there where the Spring is Not part of the Electrical Path?

By your own admission you don't know much about mech mods, so why are you contradicting me?
I'm basing what I'm saying on the five mechs that I own. I have disassembled all of their buttons both magnetic and sprung, and they all conform to this design principle. Perhaps there are others out there that do use the spring as part of the electrical path, but from and engineering perspective I cannot imagine why.
Also (I hope) you'll agree electricity does not flow through through a magnetic field. So how do switches with magnets function? That's why magnets and springs are interchangeable in most switches.

Read what I said again. I can draw you a picture if it helps.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
By your own admission you don't know much about mech mods, so why are you contradicting me?
I'm basing what I'm saying on the five mechs that I own. I have disassembled all of their buttons both magnetic and sprung, and they all conform to this design principle. Perhaps there are others out there that do use the spring as part of the electrical path, but from and engineering perspective I cannot imagine why.
Also (I hope) you'll agree electricity does not flow through through a magnetic field. So how do switches with magnets function? That's why magnets and springs are interchangeable in most switches.

Read what I said again. I can draw you a picture if it helps.

I'm Not Contradicting you sonicbomb. I'm asking you a Question. Jeeze.

And the Reason I'm Asking the Question is Because I Don't Know much about Mech Mods.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok, my apologies I misunderstood what you were saying. I don't own all the mech mods so I can't say for certain. But I would say in answer to your question, all of them.

OK.

Like I said, I only own One Mech Mod that has a Spring in it, a Caravella Clone. And seeing that the Spring is in contact with the Body of the Switch, I'm not sure why the Spring would not be in the Electrical Path?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Because electricity follows the path of least resistance. The button pin passes through a collar in the top of the switch body, before touching the bottom of the battery. This collar is where the main electrical and physical contact is. The spring where it is in contact with the button offers a fraction of this surface area. The spring is in contact with the switch body, but this isn't the path the electricity follows.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Because electricity follows the path of least resistance. The button pin passes through a collar in the top of the switch body, before touching the bottom of the battery. This collar is where the main electrical and physical contact is. The spring where it is in contact with the button offers a fraction of this surface area. The spring is in contact with the switch body, but this isn't the path the electricity follows.

Maybe I am Mistaken, but as I understand it, the Flow of Electrons is Directly proportional to the Amount of Resistance of a Conductor(s).

So if I have a Dual coil Atomizer, and if One Coil has .5 Ohm Resistance and the other Coil has 2.0 Ohm Resistance, there will be a Flow of Electrons thru Both Coil. Not just thru the .5 Ohm Coil.

Albeit, it is a "Easier" path for Most of the Electrons to take thru the Negative Contact of Mech Mod Switch. But if the Spring is in Contact with the Switch Body, Isn't there an Flow of Electron thru the Spring?

Reactions: bwh79

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You are over complicating it. Take the button off your mech, open it up and look for yourself at how it's arranged inside.

It's not a Big Deal. And I think the OP has His/Her question answered about the Spring vs Magnet.

But I think the Wording that Electricity takes the Path of Least Resistance is kinda Misleading.

Because if Electricity did, then No Electricity would flow thru the 2.0 Ohm Coil in the Example above. And we know that it does. And that Both the .5 and the 2.0 ohm Coil are part of the Path the Electricity Flows.

:)

Reactions: bwh79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread