Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I don't have any real trouble with either one, but I prefer SS, mostly due to cost. Ti is good about "hiding" the wire flavor, but so is Stainless.

Agreed, I can taste Ni and Nichrome so I stopped using it. Stainless is great because you can use it in TC or VW and get a real consistent vape.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
From my experience with both, Ti-01 is springy compared to 316. I don't know about the other Stainless wires, because I haven't used them.

Comparing my 28AWG 316 to the same gauge wire of titanium, the titanium wire seems to be more brittle and more springy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am sorry I wasn't clear. I ordered some 26ga SS316L and some 26ga Ti wire. Sadly they both came in clear completely unmarked bags and I am trying to determine which one is which. I need some characteristics to go by.

The most notable difference is that one of them, if you bend it it springs right back to how it was previously unless you apply some force to hold it or put a hard bend in it. The other is significantly more malleable and you can put bends in it much more easily.

Based on the above posts, I am thinking the Ti is the harder to bend one.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OK I performed another test trying to figure out which is which. I just a quick coil of each threw them in a RDA and tried a quick dry burn to see what it did to the coils. The really springy one got this whitish coating on it that flaked off really easily. The other one got darker but did not seem to get any coating on it. Scraping at this second coil, nothing flaked off. Wouldn't that make the one with the white flaky coating be the TI?

NOTE: I did NOT use either coil used in this test and I had a cloth over my face to avoid any fumes as best as possible.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you are figuring this out-- things arriving like that drive me batty, but it sounds like you figured out the solution. I find SS easier to work with than titanium, but kanthal is the easiest of all. With that said, SS is nice as you can use it in TC or Wattage. Good luck with your builds!

Anna

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Ha! @stols001 depends on the gauge of Kanthal you're using. I had some 20 and 22g Kanthal and I'll tell you. If you need exercise on fingers, wrists, and would like to build a few callouses, give those gauges a shot. If not, stick with Nichrome or Stainless. Granted, the larger the wire, the harder it will be to bend. But bending an alloy like Kanthal can be... Painful when working with beefier wire.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread