Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Letitia , the temperature stuff is all based on some recent discussions about at what point does a PG/VG mixture being to produce breakdown products. We know what it is in a test environment, but it hasn't been all reproduced with an actual, current generation build/coil. There is evidence that abusing the older clearo stuff stuff made all sorts of nasty crap, but it appears to be better in newer gen stuff. Still, the newer gen stuff has only been tested in a wattage mode setting, not temperature.

We now know that coil temperatures may be higher than we think thanks to work from @mikepetro along with statistical data gathered by Evolv through ecigstats. We don't know if that means the same stuff is made in our vape gear at the same lab temps yet. But it's enough to make you think about how hot your coils are really getting. Turns out that even with a tootle Nauti coil it can get way hotter than you would predict by instinct alone. There's a big thread pinned at the top of this forum all about it. While there's not enough data to say you must use temp control and don't exceed this temperature or else, but it is enough to at least think about depending on your vape style. I've been a TC vaper for a while now, and normally I never go over 450F, usually a bit below. I haven't changed anything else about my vaping, including with tanks that are for wattage use yet, but I am paying attention.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks Eskie. So how does someone like me know if their vape style is safe.

Right now? No way we can be sure. Best guesstimate? Don't try to inhale scorching vapor, and if you are already using temp control, keeping it on the lower side (still unsettled, but I'll call it 450F and below). As the evidence for temp control serving as some "protective" approach to vaping remains to be proven, I wouldn't jump right to it thinking it's the sole answer.

A real answer will hopefully come along in the next year. Maybe.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Guess I'm in a good place. Cool /warm vapor is my sweet spot. Seriously though, you should look into some sort of vaper's professorship.

My teaching time on a very different subject was nowhere near as friendly as hanging out here. I was ruthless about what my little flock learned. This subject, not so much, unless you're heading towards pipe bomb territory. Then again, lots of folks usually beat me to that so no need for one more to pile on.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
Update: I put the mod on escribe this morning and saw all my preheats were set too low.

After playing around a bit I settled on 100watts with a 1 second preheat, with a low punch set to 3, at 100watts, 420F.

I like 1-1.5 second draws, and the above setting is really working great for me.

It's a complete turn around, this TC coil is now producing 150% as much vapor when compared with my previous A1K coil!

It's a very smooth vape, not quite what I'm used to, in fact with all the vapor I'm finding it hard to believe it is really keeping the coil under 420F.

I need to do some more testing. Get some live draw data from escribe when I get time, but so far so good

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Glad that helped out! It's one of the strong points of these boards. When you can visualize temperature and power during an actual draw it's far easier to adjust than relying on vape quality alone. There is open source third party firmware and software from Arctic Fox that brings a device monitor type setup to Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods. Never used it but I've read good things about it.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Update: I put the mod on escribe this morning and saw all my preheats were set too low.

After playing around a bit I settled on 100watts with a 1 second preheat, with a low punch set to 3, at 100watts, 420F.

I like 1-1.5 second draws, and the above setting is really working great for me.

It's a complete turn around, this TC coil is now producing 150% as much vapor when compared with my previous A1K coil!

It's a very smooth vape, not quite what I'm used to, in fact with all the vapor I'm finding it hard to believe it is really keeping the coil under 420F.

I need to do some more testing. Get some live draw data from escribe when I get time, but so far so good

Yay ! Good job :)

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
eScribe.png

So I finally got this running on the escribe device manager.

In the interim I'd changed the build which is now:

Dual Coil, 24g, SS316L, 9 wraps, 2mm ID, 0.15ohms.

TC set to 430F, 100watts, level 3 preheat @ 100watts.

I chain vaped in the name of science, just a couple of seconds between draws.

The first three draws were my usual 1 second duration.

The fourth draw was considerably longer just to see that temperature was maintained.

The fifth draw was back to the 1 second standard.

I have to say that after a couple of weeks switching over to TC and stainless steel I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I'm getting a great vape that is similar to my old A1K vape, but now with TC preventing my coils going into what would potentially be harmfully high temperatures.

I'm convinced my previous A1K vape was running my coils up beyond 500F so I'll be sticking with SS316L in TC mode for now.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
View attachment 680897

So I finally got this running on the escribe device manager.

In the interim I'd changed the build which is now:

Dual Coil, 24g, SS316L, 9 wraps, 2mm ID, 0.15ohms.

TC set to 430F, 100watts, level 3 preheat @ 100watts.

I chain vaped in the name of science, just a couple of seconds between draws.

The first three draws were my usual 1 second duration.

The fourth draw was considerably longer just to see that temperature was maintained.

The fifth draw was back to the 1 second standard.

I have to say that after a couple of weeks switching over to TC and stainless steel I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I'm getting a great vape that is similar to my old A1K vape, but now with TC preventing my coils going into what would potentially be harmfully high temperatures.

I'm convinced my previous A1K vape was running my coils up beyond 500F so I'll be sticking with SS316L in TC mode for now.

That graph looks perfect. As I generally prefer a longer draw, that consistent temp makes all the difference in enjoying my vape. Glad it all got sorted out.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
Another update:

Over the last couple of years coiling with A1K contact coils I have found that I prefer a smaller (2mm) coil ID.

But now working with a larger coil mass and SS316L spaced coils I thought I'd try a larger (3mm) ID to try to keep more of the coil in the airflow.

So no change to the coil mass, but better use of the airflow and a noticeable improvement

The added advantage is the six coils are easier to work with and space than the previous nine.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread