Started D.I.Ying.. And love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
The funny part about diying is the juice that I already made is better and more flavorful then most of the juice I have bought pre-made for like 50 buck or more In the past.
I'm pretty excited about making my own juice. The flavors are so good. My first juice I made was a Grape Soda Juicy Lemonade. I couldn't find that flavor If I tried. Its amazing.
UwZV8QN.jpg

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Good going, @MagicJosh! It's great to be able to come up with your own, and start liking it right off the bat. Once I started mixing, I never really looked back. It just didn't make sense anymore to keep throwing money at commercial juices, never knowing if you'd like it or not. If I don't like something I mixed up, I've only lost little bits of money and time...but even then I usually learn something useful.

Good luck, keep it up, and let us know if you cook up anything extra nice. :)

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
Good going, @MagicJosh! It's great to be able to come up with your own, and start liking it right off the bat. Once I started mixing, I never really looked back. It just didn't make sense anymore to keep throwing money at commercial juices, never knowing if you'd like it or not. If I don't like something I mixed up, I've only lost little bits of money and time...but even then I usually learn something useful.

Good luck, keep it up, and let us know if you cook up anything extra nice. :)
Will do, Thank you for the kind words. Im hooked!!! Never looking back.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
It's def a lot cheaper and you get to make it the way YOU want it and not just hoping you will like a juice you just paid $30 for.

Little hint for you and not sure if you have come across it while in here but it's called the 100 drop test. So take for instance you are mixing a flavor you have never tried yet. Instead of making a 5 or 10 ml bottle and maybe you will like it or maybe you want, this is what you do. Take for instance your making a vanilla bean ice cream flavor. Here is what I do, I make my VBIC in an 80/20 VG/PG or max VG. the 100 drop test goes this way, 100 drops represents 100 ml bottle. So 1 drop represents 1 ml. Are you following me so far? I mix my VBIC recipe (use this recipe if you would like) at 6% TFA VBIC and TFA Vanilla Swirl at 3% so if 100 drops=100 ml, 6%=6 drops and 3%=3 drops. So if your making a juice at max VG you would add together that your flavors drops (6+3=9). So your flavors are PG so you know you have 9% PG so say your wanting 80/20 mix, 20-9=11 so you need to add 11 drops of PG to get to the 20%. Then you add the 80 drops of VG to represent the 80% VG so with your flavors (9%) and your PG 11% and your 80% of VG you have your juice. Use this for any juice your making for a test to see what flavors you may need to tweak to get to your desired flavor. Take notes on how many drops (%) you start with and if you add flavor mark down how many drops you add to get your finished flavor. Once you get what you want and you have your recipe you know whatever juice you make is going to taste the same in a large batch as it didn't in the 100 drop test (or called 100 DT). If I confused you in this post you can look up 100 DT on here or look up 100 DT DIY eliquid and read up on it.

Here is a link to the post about Magic Bills 100 DT. Hope this helps. I know it helped me and a lot of other DIY-ers on here. Enjoy your new juices and the money you will be saving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Bill's Magic--doesn't get any easier than that.

Well, I certainly hope you like them!

By the way, I always recommend taste testing juices ATM (at the time of mix). Even though the juices are not fully blended, let alone steeped and aerated, you can get perhaps 90 - 95% of the taste right at this time, without delay and without waiting. This is important because you can compare the juice at this stage to the blended stage about 2 hours later, to the steeped stage about 24 - 48 hours later.

Also, any adjustments that may be required can be made at this time using a method that I call the 100DT method (100 drop taste test).

The 100DT method uses one drop to represent 1% of the mix. So, for example, if I use 10% of one flavoring, that would be 10 drops, 5% of another flavoring would be 5 drops, 6% nicotine (at 100 mg/ml) would be 6 drops. 64% VG would be 64 drops, etc. In this way, 100 drops would equal 100% of the mix. To get to a .5% number, for example, simply add a couple of drops of the flavoring to a couple of drops of the primary carrier base (VG, for example), and remove one drop from that 50/50 mix (for .5% of mix). 100 drops, 100%, all well and good.

Some folks get a bit technical and make the point that the drops of the VG are "bigger" than the drops of the flavorings, or the PG. And, that is true. But, we're going for taste testing, not a perfect technically accurate mix. VG, for example, is a carrier base (as is PG). VG is also mildly sweet, to me. However, as a carrier base, it won't substantially change the flavor of the mix, but modestly effects the dilution, but not so much that is noticeable, to me, at least, on the final mix using syringes, or what have you. Go right ahead and count your larger VG drops as a single drop equaling 1% and you'll be fine when it comes to "the big mix." I haven't found that the larger VG drops in any way changed the end flavor of the mix for 30 mls, for example, versus the 100 drop test. In other words, the size of the carrier VG drop makes little to no difference on the final mix, regardless that the drops are larger. Trust me, it all works out just fine, because VG is a carrier, not a flavoring. If VG did substantially change the flavoring, then THAT would be a different story.

So, why is this important? Well, you can make a 100DT taste test in a couple of minutes, then taste test via whatever testing gear you use, then adjust and remix in another couple of minutes to re-taste test. I don't believe I've ever used more than 8 separate 100DT's to make a juice work for me, and that took only about 20 minutes to make. Even very complex recipes can use the 100DT method and deliver a final juice in 30 minutes or less, and not days and weeks later, as we often hear about.

How can this be so? Well, using HFM (high flavor mixes) of 20 - 30% adds enough flavoring to the mix ATM that we don't have to wait days or weeks for the flavorings to "develop," and "emerge." Long steep times ARE required on LFM (low flavor mixes), because there is not enough flavoring to dominate the carrier base(s) ATM. But HFM are going to be very close to final mix because there is enough flavoring in the mixes to "Break through."

So, these are two different methods to get to the same place, only one is immediate (close ballpark at 90 - 95% of final mix) versus days, or even weeks to allow LFM to develop their full flavorings, nuances, etc. I primarily use the HFM method, particularly with new juices, because I want to know how the mix is going to taste NOW, not days or weeks from now! Both are valid methods, and perhaps there is some merit to the subtle nuances that may take days or weeks to emerge, but these are very subtle and enhance the mix, not dominate or define the mix overall. I like my juices best after 48 hours. That being said, they are very vapable ATM, and I can easily adjust the mix ATM, if it doesn't quite match the flavor profile that I want and am trying to achieve. I just like the speed in which I can make a new flavor, easily adjust it to my taste preferences, regardless of the final nuanced flavoring profile that I will get in 48 hours.

One point seems to be quite controversial and that is that some nuanced flavorings need weeks to emerge. Certainly using a LFM and waiting weeks to steep is a very valid method, but the fact is that you can still achieve that juice to near perfect accuracy immediately just by increasing the percentage of flavoring in the mix. By using HFM, you don't have to wait. The controversial part is that some juice makers insist that the subtle nuanced flavorings do take weeks to emerge and cannot be brought about ATM. That has not been my experience. I can pretty much duplicate any mix ATM with TFA flavorings, nuanced, or otherwise using the 100DT method ATM. In fact, many have made the argument that juice requiring weeks to steep to achieve this nuanced flavoring is actually lacking in enough flavoring ATM. They insist that more flavoring needs to be added ATM and that steeping requiring more than days is just deficient of flavoring, and has an insufficient flavoring percentage.

All I know is that can copy most juices ATM with TFA, nuanced or not, with regularity, provided TFA has the flavoring to start with. TFA has some gaps in flavorings that other brands do have, and YES, they are different, and I am not speaking to them. So, that simply means that there is more than one way to make juice, not that one is superior to the other, only a different way to get to the same place. I try and stay out of the controversy, these days, but I haven't seen long steep times as a requirement to make any flavorings yet. Now, that being said, I can't say that other brands of flavorings might not be different, I'm only referring to TFA flavorings, and the 150, or so, juices that I've made.

To use the 100DT method, you'll need about a dozen droppers. I have found these Amazon ones to work fine:

SEOH Glass Droppers Pipettes 4 inch pack of 12: Science Lab Dropping Pipettes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But virtually any droppers you find will work out just as well. The key is to use the same size/type of droppers for each ingredient in the mix. So, a mix with 8 ingredients may need 8 droppers (assuming you use one per ingredient/flavoring). You can use fewer droppers by the way with nearly identical results and without fear of a significant flavor change. Again, the key is to use the same unit of measurement throughout, i.e., the same size and type of dropper, etc. Using 100 mg/ml nicotine (in VG for me) allows one drop to equal 1% as well. Different strength nicotine will require a slightly different measurement as one drop may not be equal to 1% of mix (the reason I use 100 mg/ml nicotine).

I've taken the time to spell out this method again in this post as the method, which has been mentioned previously, even discussed in many other posts, does not exist in its very own blog which I am adding here, and I get frequent request via PM to elaborate on its use. In this way, the new juice maker, or anyone that wants to use this method, can find it easily. I have found it quite useful, and substantially quicker to any other method I've heard about. Good luck! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
It's def a lot cheaper and you get to make it the way YOU want it and not just hoping you will like a juice you just paid $30 for.

Little hint for you and not sure if you have come across it while in here but it's called the 100 drop test. So take for instance you are mixing a flavor you have never tried yet. Instead of making a 5 or 10 ml bottle and maybe you will like it or maybe you want, this is what you do. Take for instance your making a vanilla bean ice cream flavor. Here is what I do, I make my VBIC in an 80/20 VG/PG or max VG. the 100 drop test goes this way, 100 drops represents 100 ml bottle. So 1 drop represents 1 ml. Are you following me so far? I mix my VBIC recipe (use this recipe if you would like) at 6% TFA VBIC and TFA Vanilla Swirl at 3% so if 100 drops=100 ml, 6%=6 drops and 3%=3 drops. So if your making a juice at max VG you would add together that your flavors drops (6+3=9). So your flavors are PG so you know you have 9% PG so say your wanting 80/20 mix, 20-9=11 so you need to add 11 drops of PG to get to the 20%. Then you add the 80 drops of VG to represent the 80% VG so with your flavors (9%) and your PG 11% and your 80% of VG you have your juice. Use this for any juice your making for a test to see what flavors you may need to tweak to get to your desired flavor. Take notes on how many drops (%) you start with and if you add flavor mark down how many drops you add to get your finished flavor. Once you get what you want and you have your recipe you know whatever juice you make is going to taste the same in a large batch as it didn't in the 100 drop test (or called 100 DT). If I confused you in this post you can look up 100 DT on here or look up 100 DT DIY eliquid and read up on it.

Here is a link to the post about Magic Bills 100 DT. Hope this helps. I know it helped me and a lot of other DIY-ers on here. Enjoy your new juices and the money you will be saving.

I use a scale. And use this calculator: DIY e-Juice Calculator w/weight - Vaper.ninja & e-liquid-recipes So far I been copying others recipes. My first ejuice I made was:

Grape Soda (Cap) 10%
Juicy Lemonade (Cap) 5%
Sweetener 1%
30 ml's 9 mg's

What I been doing is taking both flavor bottles and smelling them both at the same time. I just started but thanks for the tips! I'm going to read this more tomorrow.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Great to hear another happy vaper brought to you by DIY. Having control over your juice is the best part, switching nic strengths as you please and building better juice than any commercial vendor could. Saving money is just a perk and you'll find out soon enough that you don't have to be parched 24/7 from the excessive sweetness of commercial juices. DIY juice will throw you over the edge into vape nirvana. I can never vape another vendor juice ever again.

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
Great to hear another happy vaper brought to you by DIY. Having control over your juice is the best part, switching nic strengths as you please and building better juice than any commercial vendor could. Saving money is just a perk and you'll find out soon enough that you don't have to be parched 24/7 from the excessive sweetness of commercial juices. DIY juice will throw you over the edge into vape nirvana. I can never vape another vendor juice ever again.
Me too. I agree!!! The juice I made taste better then the stuff I been buying. I spent thousands on juice. Now I can save some money and buy that DNA mod I always wanted. :) Overall the quality is superb.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I spent 2 years trying to find a commercial tobacco vape I would reorder but never did. It was Hangsen Highway in my first DIY concentrate order that hooked me(I liked it as a premix) and that was 2 years ago. I'm way past sweet vapes and my body thanks me every day for it. Take it 1 step at a time, learn what the flavors have to offer as standalones. DIY is a simple or as difficult as you want to make it but once you find your nitch its clear sailing. I'm still a 1 or 2 ingredient mixer, no need for complex formulas and KISS method.
There is no need to tell you to enjoy the journey, looks like you already are.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
A lot of people will say using a scale is the way to go. I ended up getting a mixing kit with a scale and then I had @JCinFlorida (now a good friend that lives 30 min from me and I see often) tell me that mixing my volume (using syringes and blunt tip needles) is easier, faster and less cleanup so I got some syringes from Tractor Supply and some blunt tipped needles and I tried that way. Now I'm a volume mixer and the only time I use a scale anymore is when I'm making big batches (100 ml or more) and that is just to measure the VG. I'll shoot the flavors and nic in the bottle and sit the bottle on the scale and pour the VG until I get the correct weight then I'm done. The only cleanup I have is washing the syringes (which takes me a minute or 2). Mixing by volume is the way to go IMHO. I would say try both ways then choose which one works best for you.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Here is the website that I use to make my juices. With this website it gives you both ways (by volume or by weight) of making juices at the same time. It also allows you to crate a profile and save the recipes so in the future you don't have to write them down (so you done loose whatever paper you write them down on). You have the option to share them or keep them private.

I've tried numerous times to add the link but it just adds periods instead of the link but the website is e-liquid-recipes ::dot::com. Use the dashes when you go to put it in the URL. I'm also doing this from my phone so not sure if that is the reason it's not allowing me (even though I've added links on here from my phone in the past). Once you get in the website up at the top there is a button for "create recipe" at the top (on the mobile version anyways, I don't have a computer just iPhone and iPad). I looked at the website you use and it will work but the one I use just seems easier to use IMO.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The funny part about diying is the juice that I already made is better and more flavorful then most of the juice I have bought pre-made for like 50 buck or more In the past.
I'm pretty excited about making my own juice. The flavors are so good. My first juice I made was a Grape Soda Juicy Lemonade. I couldn't find that flavor If I tried. Its amazing.
I mix only one flavor, 200 ml per month, at 1%, 1.1 cent per ml. The independence, sense of security, and the money saved is breathtaking.

Mr RELENTLESS

Dec 24, 2016
I agree the flavors I've made taste a million times better than any store bought juice I've bought an I've only been DIY for about 6 months but I've been vaping almost 5 years. I'm hooked on The Milk Man CLONE (taste just like real thing) and strawberry cheesecake. I use the recipes off eliquidrecipes.com an jus tweak a couple things like batch size and nicotine strength. Flavoring always follow to the T though. Outta my OBS Engine Nano some days I can't put a mod down this juice I make taste so good.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
A lot of people will say using a scale is the way to go. I ended up getting a mixing kit with a scale and then I had @JCinFlorida (now a good friend that lives 30 min from me and I see often) tell me that mixing my volume (using syringes and blunt tip needles) is easier, faster and less cleanup so I got some syringes from Tractor Supply and some blunt tipped needles and I tried that way. Now I'm a volume mixer and the only time I use a scale anymore is when I'm making big batches (100 ml or more) and that is just to measure the VG. I'll shoot the flavors and nic in the bottle and sit the bottle on the scale and pour the VG until I get the correct weight then I'm done. The only cleanup I have is washing the syringes (which takes me a minute or 2). Mixing by volume is the way to go IMHO. I would say try both ways then choose which one works best for you.

You lost me on this one. I grant that for you, you might find it easier and faster to mix by volume, but how can there be less cleanup since mixing by weight has no cleanup at all?

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
I found this great app on the Google play store called Vape Tool Pro. It's great! It's a coil calculator, e-liquid calculator, it's got battery information, ohms law calculators and other resources.

Well tonight I discovered you can also make a list of all flavor concentrates you have on hand and list their prices and whatnot. Plus you can set the price you paid for your base, pg and vg. So when you create a recipe it tells you your cost per 10ml. So far, all of my recipes cost me between $.30 and $.70 per 10ml. That, in and of itself, is all the reason anyone should need to DIY. I went from paying $8-$16 for 30ml of liquid to paying $1.50. That's fantastic. Not to mention it's fun experimenting with whacky flavor combos. Who knows what you could come up with.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
then I had @JCinFlorida (now a good friend that lives 30 min from me and I see often) tell me that mixing my volume (using syringes and blunt tip needles) is easier, faster and less cleanup

Well, I just accidentally found this thread, since @JCinFlorida didn't give me a heads-up or a shout out to it! I decided to jump in to clarify a few things, before @Wheelin247 gets me in alittle deep doo-doo here by kind of paraphrasing what I told him.

Either during the time we first met each other at a nearby McDonald's, or not long after it, he mentioned that he'd read on here about measuring by weight, and had decided he'd most likely do it that way since he'd ordered a scale already. Said if he decided not to do by weight, that he'd just use it to measure out portions of meat from hunting, for freezer storage. But, he wanted to know what method I used. I told him that while most on the ECF who measure by weight will state that IT is faster, easier, more accurate, and requires less clean-up compared to measuring by volume....I had a different opinion, and chose by volume for my method. Also, that different methods may work best for different people, and that there was no 1 right or best way for everyone!

I told him that IMO it depends on how you actually measure by volume and make your mix. The way I do it, and explained to him, (which I've posted on here in other threads), it's definitely IMO fast enough, super easy, very accurate, and requires about 1-2 minutes at most to wash a few syringes and blunt needle tips. Said if that 1-2 minutes clean-up time matters to him, then by volume might not be a method for him. I also told him that IMO, from my own experience with making even multiple, different, recipes and/or amounts at a time, assembly line fashion...by volume is still even fast and easy. That it might even be more so, than by weight in that situation.

He's an intelligent adult who thinks for himself and makes his own decisions. It didn't make a difference at all to me, which method he chose. I'd have still helped him either way with info, tips, sources for DIY supplies, etc., and would've still become friends with him! :)

Going to meet him later today with some flavorings, so we'll talk about this then alittle, too, I'm sure. Also need to go over my User Name on here, so I can keep tabs on what he's saying about me. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread