Started to vape today and got burning throat and coughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lock95

Jan 9, 2017
Try a lower nicotine level at sub ohm, and a higher VG level. Maybe 9mg-6mg, 70/30 ratio (70% vegetable glycerin/30% propylene glycol)

I've found high wattage, high nicotine/pg sub ohm vaping very uncomfortable.
i am stuck with this juice.......... cause all stores closed and it s the only one i have .....and i plan on getting non nicotine what do you guys think?

Lock95

Jan 9, 2017
SS316L is a Stainless Steel coil and I am not familiar with the Pico mine has not arrived yet!
oh and about the priming of the coils , first i did not cause i didnt see anything in the manual about that , but i still could not vape cause it say atomizer too low , so i do not think i burnt it , and that i search the web and found about prime and did so with bit coils, so ure saying the melo 3 atomizer is not that good or was it the coils , lol so many questions sorry i new ... just started today ..:(

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Pop into a drugstore and buy some vegetable glycerin. Add 3 times the amount of juice you have or fill a tank 1/4 and top it up with VG. This will bring your juice down to 3mg, although it may kill some of the flavor. If it's too thick, add a drop or two of water to the tank. 12mg is far too high for most people who sub-ohm and will definitely irritate your throat.

Make sure it's wicking properly. Harshness will result from a coil that's getting too hot. You need a constant supply of juice to the coil in order to cool it. Try a few primer puffs where you suck on it, but don't fire up the coil. That will get the wick good and wet. Again, add a bit of water if you think your wicking is not keeping up.

Reactions: anavidfan

Lock95

Jan 9, 2017
Pop into a drugstore and buy some vegetable glycerin. Add 3 times the amount of juice you have or fill a tank 1/4 and top it up with VG. This will bring your juice down to 3mg, although it may kill some of the flavor. If it's too thick, add a drop or two of water to the tank. 12mg is far too high for most people who sub-ohm and will definitely irritate your throat.

Make sure it's wicking properly. Harshness will result from a coil that's getting too hot. You need a constant supply of juice to the coil in order to cool it. Try a few primer puffs where you suck on it, but don't fire up the coil. That will get the wick good and wet. Again, add a bit of water if you think your wicking is not keeping up.
can i put some water now in the tank over the juice ? and thanks for the advice

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Bear in mind that @Lock95 is a brand new vaper who might not have an spare empty bottles laying around. I think solutions should be very basic and not going to the local pharmacy for DIY supplies. When the vape shop opens up see if they have some low nicotine or zero and mix it in the tank for a quick test. As a recent smoker who is attempting to quit you need nicotine but not Sub Ohm volume! Again just my opinion and not based on any scientific studies except what this Mad Scientist here does.

Lock95

Jan 9, 2017
Bear in mind that @Lock95 is a brand new vaper who might not have an spare empty bottles laying around. I think solutions should be very basic and not going to the local pharmacy for DIY supplies. When the vape shop opens up see if they have some low nicotine or zero and mix it in the tank for a quick test. As a recent smoker who is attempting to quit you need nicotine but not Sub Ohm volume! Again just my opinion and not based on any scientific studies except what this Mad Scientist here does.
Thanks for the care! i can keep up if you guys take me easy ( no gang bangs here please i dont swing that way) and that means 12 nic with .3 ohm is sub , and what if i get 0 nic juice will it be ok ? with .3 ?

Lock95

Jan 9, 2017
anavidfan stated what I meant by cut in half. by mixing equal parts of 12mg juice and 0mg juice, you will have effectively cut it's nicotine level by half.
anavidfan stated what I meant by cut in half. by mixing equal parts of 12mg juice and 0mg juice, you will have effectively cut it's nicotine level by half.
oh sorry , i am searching about e cig. and juice now and reading lot s of stuff so it s a lot of info to take in ..thanks again !

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So i just got the istick pico melo3 and was so happy , but now i find out that i have been surfing the web for half a day to see if i did something wrong or missing cause i cant stop coughing and the burning throat ..... so i got it at around 10 w and i get almost if not less smoke than a normal cigarette , i tried higher W but that that kills me i start coughing right away , but the cloud is bigger , anyway i put the 0.3 coils burns then i put the 0.5 still burns , the juice that i use is from Liqua (bubble gum ) 12 nic i think ..... so i think i will smash it cause i am at the end of my road here .... any help ?
Welcome and glad you joined. Don't feel too bad, you are not the first to leap into advanced vape gear and skip the fun of finding what works best for you. Suggest you begin at the start of vaping and learn from the bottom up.
You purchased an advanced starter kit. A starter kit does not necessarily equal a beginners kit. Could have been better served to buy a beginners kit/device.
Not to worry, your battery is a very good mod. You may want to invest in a different (beginners) tank that will fit your mod.
Might want to do non sub-ohm first (Over 1 ohms, pretty much uses the same equipment, the coil/wick is built different). You will get great flavor but the cloud production is not as intense as you can produce with sub ohm'g.
Could look into the pros and cons of sub ohm'g vs non sub ohm'g before you decide which way you want to go. Some folks jump right into sub ohm'g without looking at the hidden ramifications.Successful sub ohm'rs tend to know the ins and outs of vaping. That's why sub ohm'g is tagged as advanced vaping.
Could check:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
May 2016 / Smoking Vapor
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: LeeLee26

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Melo 3 with any of the included coils needs at least 20 watts to work halfway properly. I have heard that going too low results in larger droplets to the aerosol which are more irritating. I'm not so sure about that but even at 20W you can hear it and feel it taking a while to reach any heat and start going. If you're even getting anything at that setting I wonder of it's primed properly (if it wasn't at first, it's too late -- burning taste?).

Subohm and direct lung means you need to pull a lot of air through it to keep it cool. Trying to take it easy makes it worse! And even among those who vape that way, the Melo is not well liked. I have heard the Melo can use the 1.8 ohm Triton coils for low power, mouth-to-lung vaping, they're not cheap to try (but this option may be the only thing keeping me from taking a hammer to mine)(definitely don't smash the Pico, seperating it from the Melo is an improvement).

(BTW eleaf, why does a TC kit not include any TC coils???)

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    i can see it making you cough, but a hot burning? is most likely a burnt coil and needs to be replaced(i did that a few times in the beginning myself). you can rinse the tank out with warm water and dry it with a paper towel(if the coil is burnt, it will make the juice taste burnt). try a new coil, prime it by adding a few drops into the coil and where you can see the cotton outside of it, then fill the tank and wait 10 mins. start at 15 watts and slowly bring the wattage up after 3 or 4 puffs, until it is easier to vape... if it gets a little burnt taste back down a few watts, you've reached the limit. on the coil itself or packaging it should say the wattage limits for the coil.

tac_driver

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2017
    Texas
    i recommend starting over
    sounds like you got a dry hit somehow and burnt the cotton
    --------------------------
    also starting out with sub ohm coils is not a good idea
    using the sub ohm coil is for DTL (direct to lung) and max nicotine is 6
    for that style of vaping
    ----------------------------
    better to do MTL (mouth to lung) hits when starting out vaping
    just like a cig you pull on the filter it goes into your mouth
    then inhale it goes into your lungs
    A 1.5 - 2.0 coil is made for MTL hits
    12 nicotine (12 is like a ultra light , 18 is like a light, 24 is like a regular
    with 1.5 to 2.0 Ohm coils
    ---------------------------------------
    recommend starting with a 50/50 PG/VG mix
    high PG is for better flavor stronger throat hit
    high VG if for better clouds smoother throat hit
    and go up or down on either depending on what you like more
    ie:
    I prefer more flavor and stronger throat hit
    so my mix is 70/30 PG/VG
    --------------------------------------
    when priming the coil
    put a few drops on the exposed cotton holes
    add some more in the center of the coil
    fill up the tank
    take about 30 pulls with out firing
    leave it on the side for about 5 min
    then start pulling slowly
    ---------------------------------------
    Avoid letting the tank run dry
    i normally re-fill when it gets to the top of
    the exposed cotton holes of the coil
    I use a BVC (bottom vertical coil)

feel free to ask any questions, the people on this forum
    are very knowledgeable and are happy to help

Ed_C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    I think what some of the others have said is on track. Most of us that started a while ago started with tanks that used coils that were over 1 ohm (commonly 1.5 or 1.8 ohm) and started with a technique that is referred to as mouth-to-lung (MTL). Like what was said, you take the vapor into your mouth first and then inhale it into your lungs. This is the way most people smoke cigarettes. With this technique, 12-18 mg nicotine is often used. Enter sub-ohm vaping, where the technique is to draw the vapor directly into your lungs (Direct-lung or DL). You get more vapor this way, but you need to have a tank with plenty of airflow and use lower nicotine concentrations (3-6 mg is common), otherwise the vapor is too hot and harsh for most people. You also go through more juice. These types of tanks are more popular these days, but may not be the best way to go for new vapers. The Pico is a nice little mod and one that I use. This will work with either style of vaping. The Melo on the other hand, is more of a direct-lung tank and frankly not the best tank, imo. I would recommend getting something like a Innokin T22 Prism Tank or other MTL tank. I've been using the T22 for some time and they are easy to use, cheap and work well.

Innokin T22 Prism Tank

Last edited:
    Reactions: LeeLee26
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread