• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Starter Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Non veggie person here, but willing to give it a go!
Have you all got some beginner's tips? Something easy ok?
I have a problem with yeast, when I was a baker I found out that I have a sensitivity to it. It took a while for my hands to unswell.
My hubby won't eat too many dinners without a meat base..but I need to sneak a few in to help with out cholesterol. (it's good but I need to keep it that way!)
So go easy on me and suggest something to try for dinner.:)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I am going to try that..but it's a harder one for a new comer! Besides I thought it was for the holidays! Sorry! I was thinking of maybe easing into it with a breakfast or lunch! Mike is going to have a fit..but oh well..:)

I didn't know hummus was used for anything but a topper on a cracker. Live and learn!

Last edited:

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
I made tacos tonight. Morningstar has "crumbles" that are kinda like ground beef. I sauteed that with some olive oil, garlic and pepper sauce, then added some pinto beans. Stuffed it into taco shells with some julienne sliced bell peppers and avocado slices and topped with olives.

Just one word: YUM!

Fairly low on the calorie scale, very filling, low cholesterol and a good amount of fiber. My daughter can't get enough of these tacos.

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
Morningstar has excellent faux sausages. Patties and links! They can get a little spendy though so you don't want the faux meats to be too much of your diet. The crumbles come in a pretty decent sized bag so you get more for your money. I find them at Target in the freezer section (oddly enough, next to the frozen meat) and they are usually $2.99 each.

I've also just finely chopped portabella mushrooms and sauteed them with good spices and sauce and used them in place of ground beef. They have a meaty texture and take on flavor pretty well. I've used both the mushrooms and crumbles in soups and chilli - made in a crockpot with fresh cornbread.

I just had three tacos and I'm hungry again. Darn.

Woo will have to go hit up target then!
I suggested the hummus since it is one of the most filling things I could think of.
I toss a handful of pine nuts and roasted garlic into mine, Light on the tahinni tho.

Morning star veggiemax patty subs at subway are my all time fav. Toasted with sweet onion sauce, it freaks my co workers out that I eat as healthy as I do.

I recently woofed down a double order of Buddhist delight, a local Chinese place does this steamed veggie mix with this creamy sweet veggie sauce.
If I could get that sauce recipe from them I would be set.

Thanks for the target tip, will have to ninja pick some up and sneak them into the dishes I am making.

Jessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2009
Dallas, TX
Target definitely has great Morningstar & Boca prices.

I much prefer Morningstar's sausage patties over their links. A breakfast burrito would be a great & easy way to try the "fake meats". Or a BLT- I think Morningstar's bacon make for a great BLT. Mmmm!

Honestly, I don't think the Morningstar products are that expensive when you think about it. If one package of crumbles = a lb of meat...

I'm all for convenience meals- you can use crumbles for chili & tacos, chik'n strips for stir fry, or chik'n broccoli alfredo. My favorite brand is Quorn, although they are pricey. We have their turk'y every Thanksgiving, and their gruyere chicken cutlets are simply amazing.

My 1 week menu looks something like this:

Spinach Artichoke Lasagna

Taco Chili

Portobello Penne Pasta

Potato Soup

Lentil Tacos

Escarole & Beans

Zucchini 'Crab' Cakes

Being a "new" vegetarian (almost 3 years) I've found that my life is so much easier if I plan my meals in advance. I'm sure that's true for meat eaters too, but I'm able to be a healthier vegetarian when I do meal plans 2x a month.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The crumbles sound like something I would use in a morning taco wrap! I wonder if they have a sausage flavored one. I might also be able to use it in a chili. Thanks, I will look for that when I go to the store.
My daughter sautes scallions and potatos with a few slices of green peppers and puts those in wraps.

For a morning taco wrap try to find some veggie chorizo. Soooooo very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread