Starter help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Johansson

Aug 11, 2015
Hi!

I live in Sweden and it's not allowed to buy e-cigs or vaporizers here with nicotine. So there's not really any way to buy them here. So I'll just have to rely on the Internet, and then I get a million choices.

So that's why I'm here. To get some basic help.

I've been a smoker for too many years now, and I want to quit.
I smoke a pack a day and all my previous attemps of quitting has been complete failures.

Two years ago my girlfriend bought a e-cig that looked like a regular cigarette, but was really badly constructed. The cartridges where sometimes empty, or didn't work and the small battery was garbage.

She managed to quit for a while but she was furious about how poorly constructed it was and that the battery in the end stopped working.

So now we've decided to quit... again.

But what should we buy? E-cig/vaporizer? It doesn't have to look like a cigarette, but I want it to feel like a regular cigarette when I'm smoking it. I want low resistance when smoking.

I've been looking at Vaporfi and some other brands. But all the companies has the same sales pitch. Everyone is the greatest and the best. And the different e-cig review sites just looks like commercials for different companies.

I tried to look around in the forum, but didn't find anyone with the same experience as me.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the easiest around.

Can someone please recommend some of the best options for me? We've done the mistake earlier to go for the cheapest, so that's not an alternative.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @. Glad to have you here!:)

Skip the cig-a-likes (e-cigs that are the same size as a cigarette).

Lots of different possibilities.
1. When you say "low resistance" how low do you want to go? Below 1.0Ω?
2. Are you interested in a mod that also does temp control?
3. Are you a mouth-2-lung inhaler or do you want something that you can do direct-2-lung inhaling?

Here are some educational material/links for you may find helpful.

1. Power Source -- Battery or Mod/APV. APV = Advanced Personal Vaporizer
2. Juice Delivery Devise -- often a clearomizer (a tank that uses premade coils).
3. Heating element. Often called a coil.
4. Eliquid. Often called juice.

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
1. The Three Main Types of Ecig
2. Vaping Slang and Acronyms

Last edited:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
One of the most recommended setups for beginners to use to quit the cigs is the Eleaf iStick 30 watt with an Aspire Nautilus Mini tank. Both are very user friendly with excellent track records. I tried a few different batteries and tanks and to me the Nautilus Mini was more like smoking than any other tank I have tried.

I recommend a 30 watt mod (battery) minimum, because it gives room to grow should you decide to experience sub ohms down the road. It has enough power to work many different tanks. Below is the iStick 30 watt with Nautilus Mini.
4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

There are many less expensive/cheaper alternatives. In the pic below I have the options I went thru. The Nautilus is on the Spinner 2 in the center and on my iStick 50 watt on the right.
My%20Vape%202%20007_zpst1e620rm.jpg

Good luck in your decisions.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I'll support the recommendation for the iStick and Nautilus Mini, that is an excellent set-up for someone new to vaping but trying to quit smoking. I also have a Heatvape Invader Mini, which is a 50W capable mod with temperature control options. That might be a little overkill for you at the moment, though if it is something that you are interested in, I'd be happy to help you out with that.

If I understand you correctly when you say that you want "low resistance", I believe that you are referring to the airflow resistance. The Nautilus Mini has an air-flow control ring (AFC). This is a ring with holes in it that you can adjust to increase or decrease the resistance of the draw. There are many atomizers out there that allow for this. I, myself, like a very airy draw and understand how difficult it was to use the cig-a-likes. It was almost like drinking a milkshake through a straw...

Do not despair, Daniel. There are many people here who are more than willing to help you find something that will work for you, and we've been through most of the common problems. So if you find that you are having issues with whatever you decide to use, someone here will have the answers.

All that being said, Welcome to the forum!! Definitely read through the links that Susan provided, and you'll have a much greater understanding of the equipment that we are dealing with. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it is definitely worth taking the time to learn. If it weren't for vaping, I'd never have given up my smokes!

Reactions: NoFumus

Daniel Johansson

Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for all of the replies. I've read through the links from Susan and found them very helpful. I think I will try the Nautilus Mini together with iStick and Spinner II. The iStick at home, and the Spinner at work. I've read a couple of reviews of these combinations and they've all been good.

I've got two other questions that I forgot in the first post.

Where should I buy? I've looked around and there's alot of sites selling, but some don't have all of the parts. Is there a site with a good reputation that has more stuff to offer than others? Preferably in europe, so I won't have to pay customs and taxes.

And I'd like to try some of all the interesting flavours that I've seen, but I think I would like to start off with a tobacco taste. I've been smoking a brand that's similar to Marlboro Light/Gold. Do you know any juice that's close to that in taste?

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
In the UK, I'd check out Liberty Flights.
Long time supplier, excellent customer service and very good selection to choose from.
I believe they have everything mentioned in this thread.
Premium E Liquid - Liberty Flights

For true tobacco flavor, try and find a NET (naturally extracted tobacco).
Closest thing to real tobacco. I've tossed out a ton of fake tobacco flavors till I discovered this.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

oOdOdY75Oo

Aug 19, 2015
Don't know about everyone else here but I've owned 4 Eleaf I sticks and yeah they are friggin awesome but short lived. They start to get loose at the tank connecting area and start to rattle. I've had 4 and all four do that after just 3 months. That got me into the innokin mvp vtr and innokin iclear 30s fir the tank. I found those two pretty good as well. Sucks Sweden don't allow that stuff to be sold but hey, forced you to go online right? That brought you here right ? Welcome!

RyanHatch96

Moved On
Aug 5, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

ringling

Unresolved Status
Aug 19, 2015
Below is the iStick 30 watt with Nautilus Mini.
I agree completely! Daniel wants to quit smoking, not blow clouds. The Eleaf 30 watt with the nautilus mini is the perfect stop smoking machine. Extremely easy to use, 2200 mah allows most to vape all day and charge at night. With this setup and a Ejuice they can stick with, they will finally quit smoking !!! The Eleaf 30w will indeed allow a subtank in the future should they want to take the next step though 2200mah only allows tea tottling. Not enough for serious Subohm application.....

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
If you're thinking of getting both an iStick & an ego (and a backup is a very good idea), I'd suggest getting the Premiums kit, which will include everything you need to get started. Since it includes five extra coils, it'll keep you're going for a while. And, if you're think of starting with just one tank, then an extra glass tank might be a good idea. Or, if whatever vendor you purchase from carries the, look at the GS AIr as in inexpensive second tank.

AdrenKael

Aug 23, 2015
South Carolina
I started with a blu but that didn't last very long before it needed to be recharged every 20 minutes. I wanted something I could customize so I got an aspire atlas tank with the aspire CF sub ohm battery. I really should have gotten a bit more used to vaping before jumping into the sub ohm systems they're very easy to use, but also very easy to use improperly and it took a while until I learned the proper way to use it. The difference between flavor and vapor production is massive though and I doubt I'll ever go back to anything above 1 ohm. Now I'm getting an IPV 4S 120w box mod to go with the atlas and maybe getting a new tank as well (wanting the mega lol). I want to try sub ohm coil building but it's a bit confusing trying to learn the proper way to build coils. I wouldn't jump to the sub ohm immediately it can be a bit confusing and the massive vapor can be a bit harsh at first. I would suggest trying something simple at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread