Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all

Ive been tasked with converting a pipe for a friend of mine...

ive thought it through and am clear on everything except the switch. i do not want to use the epm switc, I would rather fab one from wood to make some realistic ash as the switch instead of a metallic button.

I plan on using a 18350 battery, positive down. for the negative therminal i was considering a copper contact on the iside of the bowl wall. Pushing the button down would connect the neg side of the battery and this contact on the side of the bowl powering the 510 connector.

here is where I am having problems... how to easily remove the battery to charge? how to make sure the battery will not fire on its own? preventing button sag?

i have read the entire pipe talk thread and saw the post with the simple switch at post 590 in french, but I still do not understand how to remove the battery.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I will document the conversion as I go along.

thanks!
Geo

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
Geo.....since your talking about "hirize's" 55 switch, and he is no longer with us(unregistered supplier), maybe I can answer some of your questions....

xfrqsp.jpg

You use a bottom magnet(# 2) to hold ever thing in the pipe, but you can get the battery out by shaking the pipe up side down..

There are no U.S. coins that are magnetic, or the right size.....therefore the washer. did you read this http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-all-makes-models-designs-62.html#post9796023 (edit: this link doesn't work ? >pipe talk>page 62>#613)

I will post one more picture, that you can think about ...

5o9oq1.jpg

Also, have you seen this ? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ll-makes-models-designs-119.html#post11582079 Or read this tread ? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pting-build-tips-tricks-where-find-parts.html.......

Hope this helps......Questions ?

duckie.......

Last edited:

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Dickie

This helps a lot... I rather like the second design you posted..it looks as if it will provide more of an up/down motion than a tilt motion to fire.

If I understand it correctly, pushing the button will compress the spring moving the whole battery and button assy down to make contact with the ring.

What does the bottom magnet accomplish? Just to retain the spring in the bottom of the bowl?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Geo

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
Dickie

This helps a lot... I rather like the second design you posted..it looks as if it will provide more of an up/down motion than a tilt motion to fire.

If I understand it correctly, pushing the button will compress the spring moving the whole battery and button assy down to make contact with the ring.

What does the bottom magnet accomplish? Just to retain the spring in the bottom of the bowl?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Geo
ch

Geo......The bottom magnet does the same thing in the hirize pipe, or a EPM pipe, to hold the battery and switch in the pipe...

Here's my thoughts on this.....use a ring magnet, thread it into the hole of the magnet.......If you use a steel spring (it will magnetic too), use something like a ( R8 201 or R8 821)....If you use a brass spring (non-magnetic)...use something like a( R 841 or R 842 )....Solder your wire on the spring before threading it on the magnet....Magnets don't like heat........

The numbers above are in Ring Magnets at www.k&jmagnetics.com You will also need a magnet for the top washer.....Find you a washer, and measure the hole, remember you can get a magnet a little bit bigger and file out the hole in the washer for a tight fit....Tight fit? you don't want glue between the magnet and the washer....glue is a insulator.....

As to what magnets to get....That's a guessing game....on this I'm just guessing too....

One thing I would do is get me a scrap 2X4 (1 1/2 x 1 1/2) and practice on it......like this....

2q0m39t.jpg

This is for a EPM style pipe, but you get the idea......you can get your depth just right without messing up your good pipe.....

Questions ?.....Oh and you can get magnets a lot of places K&J is just to give you a idea what to look for, and washers I would go to ACE, they don't package ever thing up.....

duckie

Last edited:

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I promised an update... I made a little progress.

Next step is to solder negative wire to the bottom connector and cement to the bottom of the bowl. I counterbored the bottom of the bowl to accommodate this.

Next I need to figure out the switch... might be looking at the zepipe switch because of simplicity and the pipe bowl is a little shorter than anticipated. I cant bore much deeper - I think I have about .100" thickness at the bottom of the bowl as it is.

Please share any thoughts

pipe conversion by EagleTa2, on Flickr

pipe conversion by EagleTa2, on Flickr

pipe conersion by EagleTa2, on Flickr
Thanks,
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread