starting out with rta set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
hi all I've just upgraded to the ijoy rta/ta set up and going to start with prebuilt kanthal coils at 4.5 ohms per coil so am i correct that this would give me 2.2 ohms on dial set up? and if so what watts should be safe for this using smok alien 220w mod. so far many different opinions when looking but would the 30 to 50 eat range be safe. also dial 18650 3500mah batteries. any advice welcome

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    I think you might have your ohms or resistance wrong. Even tough the alien is a 220w mod, two 18650 really only has enough power for around 150 watts and that's if your pushing it, even more so with 3500mah batteries the amp draw will probably be no more than 10amps. But if you meant .22 ohms and your batteries are 10amp rated 88 watts is the max but this is still pushing those batteries. Please read up on ohms law and battery safety before rebuilding.

Reactions: Izan

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
    I think you might have your ohms or resistance wrong. Even tough the alien is a 220w mod, two 18650 really only has enough power for around 150 watts and that's if your pushing it, even more so with 3500mah batteries the amp draw will probably be no more than 10amps. But if you meant .22 ohms and your batteries are 10amp rated 88 watts is the max but this is still pushing those batteries. Please read up on ohms law and battery safety before rebuilding.

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
    thanks for the info. yeah coils info wrong they're 0.45 fused Clapton 28 guaged kernel
    32 guage wrapped and the batteries are 18650 3000mAh 3.7 volts. funny though I'm currently using melo 300 tank on the smok alien 220 with a 0.17 coil rated at 100-300 Watts use range and the best taste and cloud is between 180 and 200 Watts. of course the batteries just squeak a days use if only using at breaks and not all day. where a good site that explains ohms law for newbies gonna need to know that big time.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    @Dean Gordon heres some links with helpful info

battery basics/saftey, make sure you read up on the cdr or continuous discharge rating.

(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

ohms law is basically a formula to determine the amp draw against your coil. mostly used with mech mods. heres a link to an ohms law calculator. currents are amps and resistance is your coils ohm. if you know two things like the ohms and voltage you can calculate how many amps/watts your battery is pulling.

Ohms Law Calculator

For most of us that use regulated mods like your smok alien 220 there is a different calculation for what CDR batteries we need heres another link. you just input how many batteries your using and how much power youll need. unless you know the exact mod efficiency just leave it at 90.

Regulated Mod Amp Draw Calculator

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    thanks for the info. yeah coils info wrong they're 0.45 fused Clapton 28 guaged kernel
    32 guage wrapped and the batteries are 18650 3000mAh 3.7 volts. funny though I'm currently using melo 300 tank on the smok alien 220 with a 0.17 coil rated at 100-300 Watts use range and the best taste and cloud is between 180 and 200 Watts. of course the batteries just squeak a days use if only using at breaks and not all day. where a good site that explains ohms law for newbies gonna need to know that big time.
    yup even tough your screen might be saying 200 watts i doubt your actually pushing that high. i believe the highest rated 3000mah batts are the lg hg2 and samsung 30q with only a rated cdr of 20amps. so thats about 110 watts lol

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
    crazy. so you're saying running 2 18650 3000mAh 3.6 volt batteries in a 220watt mod is a complete falicy?
    i could set it at 110 watts and at least be realistic as to what the unit is actually supplying wattage wise? how do manufacturers get away with this especially when I'm using the recommended batteries for this unit. wth? at the end of the day off i build on the ijoy rba/ta in a stick dual coil with both coils being 0.45oHm making the build 0.22ish i really don't need to go over 80 Watts at Max? and by the sound of that even that's too high maybe stick to about the 50 watt range?

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
    so if i start at 30 Watts as a trial then build up to 80 Watts. as it's a regulated mod the exploding battery scenario isn't an issue just a case of burning out the coils? i asked the local supplier when i bought this rba if i need a coil tester as well but he said nah just use your mod to dry fire it and check for hot spots or uneven heating etc. maybe they should have night classes on rba building it's a science over magic scenario.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Smok aren't the only ones claiming their 2 18650 mods can do over 200 watts, If you know the CDR of your batteries you can enter your wattage in that regulated mod amp draw calculator to see what's the max wattage you can use. I just assumed they were 20amp cdr when you said 3000 mah. I would hope that your mod throws out a warning before anything happens.

Dean Gordon

Jan 31, 2017
    i do too now lol. spoke to the retailer i got the mood from and the tank and he said cause it's regulated stick to between 80 and 120 Watts and should be all good. helped explain why my first build using 0.45 dual coils came out as 0.38 . took away the anxiety on that one i think I'll Chuck the multi meter on it see what that says for accuracy.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    so if i start at 30 Watts as a trial then build up to 80 Watts. as it's a regulated mod the exploding battery scenario isn't an issue just a case of burning out the coils? i asked the local supplier when i bought this rba if i need a coil tester as well but he said nah just use your mod to dry fire it and check for hot spots or uneven heating etc. maybe they should have night classes on rba building it's a science over magic scenario.
    The mod has no way or knowing what your batteries are capable of so it's fully possible to overstress them. Make sure you don't exceed the cdr of your batteries.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread