Travel and Vaping Stealth vaping on planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
what two-drink limit? i am flying in about a week from Texas to Alaska for a halibut and salmon fishing trip, and havent flown since 2006. i am also a former flight attendant and world traveler/frequent flier. prior to 2006 i flew ALOT and never had a limit on drinks. is this something new?

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'll throw my vodka tonic and boeuf bourguignon at the flight attendant (first class, you know?)

Actually, I won't, as they usually give me more than the two-drink limit :)

I'll stick to the lavs.

Must be a Utah based airline if they impose liquor limits! I too have had 'vapes on a plane' but only on international flights between South America, Europe and Australia. Easy to do when lights are out in Biz class. Even had a pilot behind me on one flight and he never noticed.

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
Just got home yesterday-- American Airlines Louisville, KY to Ontario CA , changed planes in Dallas both ways, vaped on every flight. AA posts a No-E-cig rule on it's site, but I had no problem in my window seats. Used PG base for low vapor with higher than usual nic for fewer hits.

TSA was indifferent to all my stuff in a clear baggie.

I was vaping openly in the Dallas airport. My Riva 510 has a big metal battery and no glowing tip. My impression is that unless you are channeling Bette Davis , ‪SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES‬‏ - YouTube , it looks enough like a medical-device/inhaler sort of thing that people are reluctant to stare. With practice, perhaps one could enhance this perception with the addition of a modestly audible wheeze.

ThreePutt

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2011
DFW Texas
what two-drink limit? i am flying in about a week from Texas to Alaska for a halibut and salmon fishing trip, and havent flown since 2006. i am also a former flight attendant and world traveler/frequent flier. prior to 2006 i flew ALOT and never had a limit on drinks. is this something new?

I was jesting (who serves boeuf bourguignon on a plane, except maybe for some international flights?). There isn't any limit that I know of, unless you appear to be hammered.

I usually pack some snus, or will hit the lav for a vape. I did vape on the way to Sydney, but it was at night, with the lights out, and I was reclined flat in business class, with the blanket over my head :)

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
I guess I am the Only one who thinks Stealth Vaping is Immature and Childlike.

Perhaps it is because I taught my kids when they were young that if you have to sneak around and hide what you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

:facepalm:

While I was telling mine to "Question Authority". Outlaws, I'm tellin' ya, some of us were just born to be outlaws.

ThreePutt

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2011
DFW Texas

Perhaps it is because I taught my kids when they were young that if you have to sneak around and hide what you're doing, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

To each, their own. We differ in vaping accessories, styles, juices, religions, politics, etc., etc., ad naseum...

Probably shouldn't be doing it is a fair assumption to a non-smoker who sees similar action and results coming from a PV. And, as in politics, educating them on your talking points won't make 'em budge. So, in the order of discretion, I may stealth. Choosing no discretion is also a choice - and we see where that guy on the plane ended up :)

Again, to each, their own.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
well actually...its really not, cuz the reason that folks have to "stealth vape" is because of the lack of education re ecigs/vaping in the general public. unfortunately, until alot more people get educated, us vapers feel the need to "stealth" vape because openly vaping can cause unnecessary and unwarranted negative reactions from many.

John K

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.SavEcig.com
ecigs+plane.jpg

Just got back from a two day trip. No problem with my KR808D-1, PCC, and 10ml e-juice in my carry on bag. The only problem was my very dangerous full size shaving cream can - confiscated. I was able to use my e-cig on every flight. I chose to be discrete and vape in the bathroom, rather than in my seat. No problems. I also used my e-cig in the airport in-between flights. No problems.

SirPluto

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I travel quite a bit on airplanes. Right now about 3-4 times a month. I always vape on the plane. I just try to be discrete. I don't cower in the corner and vape though cause that just looks like you are up to trouble. I sit in my seat and vape away. I am extremely good at stealth vaping though and rarely have any vapor on the exhale. If the person in the seat next to me asks what it is I politely explain it to them and how it has no adverse health consequences to anyone. When I tell them its french toast flavored they chuckle and it really seems to put them at ease. I try not to vape when the flight attendants are present. If I ever do get "called out" by a flight attendant for vaping, I'll just politely say "oh sorry I didn't know" and put it away immediately. If you are caught vaping on a plane they aren't going to call out the national guard if you are polite and apologetic. Use your brain and vape on.

LadyLynx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
WA
To the OP, I could have written your post. lol I do exactly what you described (less the hanky) right down to the window seat :D

Morepyro, I also do the top lip over bottom. I do that in restaurants too, so it goes right down. :)

But doesn't that make you look a tad...um...challenged?

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
Picture a guy with a high-voltage mod, LR attys, cart packed with pure VG... filling the adjacent 2 seats in every direction with thick clouds of vapor. Talk about stealth all you want, there's always "that guy" who will ruin it for everyone. e-Cigs will never be allowed on airlines, and it won't have anything to do with safety.

At least we have the ability to get a fix in the lavatory. Wasn't but a few years ago we were stuck with a patch, gum, toothpicks, etc.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
But doesn't that make you look a tad...um...challenged?

No. Not at all. Again, I don't bring attention to myself. That's just not me. It looks as though I am biting my lip actually and um, if you are stealth vaping properly, it is a 1-2 second blow. Hardly challenged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread