Steampunk or alien?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am looking at a 2 battery mod. I love the Al-85, but a single 18650 battery isn't doing it for me and I don't like the way my Nebula chipset changes my wattage and I can do anything about it.

I'm have trouble deciding between the SM0K alien or the Tesla 120w steampunk. I can only find one retailer for the Tesla in Canada and it's got a $30 mark up over fasttech. TBH I want both but can only afford one.

Was planning on getting a mad batter rda if I get the Tesla. Because it seems to fit well. Maybe I can find a matching heat sink to match the drip on the matter hatter clone they have available at CanVape.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I have both though just got the Tesla this week. (Also need to say the Alien's screen fried on me last week but has no influence on what I say, any electronics can have issues.) I haven't used TC, rarely vape higher than 60w and never used a mad batter RDA.
I like both mods. They both work well for my needs. There is a total different feel to each in the hand and the Tesla is much heavier (which I like, others may not). A big difference is max wattage, 120w for the Tesla compared to 200w for the Alien. Also the Tesla doesn't have a usb port so you can't charge the batteries in the mod (which I don't do) nor upgrade the software.
I would buy either again. But when I get the Alien back, I think the Tesla will be my everyday mod. It does what a need well and is so freakin' good looking and to hold. I also ordered a Smoat Battlestar which just came in today and will see how it does.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
So, I am looking at a 2 battery mod. I love the Al-85, but a single 18650 battery isn't doing it for me and I don't like the way my Nebula chipset changes my wattage and I can do anything about it.

I'm have trouble deciding between the SM0K alien or the Tesla 120w steampunk. I can only find one retailer for the Tesla in Canada and it's got a $30 mark up over fasttech. TBH I want both but can only afford one.

Was planning on getting a mad batter RDA if I get the Tesla. Because it seems to fit well. Maybe I can find a matching heat sink to match the drip on the matter hatter clone they have available at CanVape.

I have both, and both are mods I would buy again (in fact, have already picked up a second Steampunk). I find the TC performance on the Steampunk to be better than the Alien. It’s very acceptable on the Alien, but I get a smoother, more refined TC experience on the Steampunk. I also prefer the menu navigation on the Steampunk – very straightforward to dive into and change settings. Again, the Alien does not have a bad UI, it’s just that I find it less intuitive.

I do love the screen on the Alien. Big, bright and tells you everything you need to know. Much easier on my old eyes than the Steampunk. I also prefer the hand feel of the Alien – it’s narrower, more comfortable to hold, and the side fire panel is excellent.

I’ve not had any paint issues with my Alien (a problem that a fair number of people have reported) and zero reliability issues in the 3 or 4 months I’ve had it. I’ve only had the Steampunk for a few weeks so I can’t speak to reliability other than zero issues so far. There’s another thread on the Steampunk where people have reported gaps between the 510 and the housing that can allow juice to pass through, but neither of mine have that issue.

There seem to be more and more color options being released for the Alien every day, whereas the Steampunk only comes in 4 colors. But, the aesthetics of the Steampunk are more appealing to my eye than the Alien.

Classic six of one, half dozen of the other type of decision.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Ompa

May 7, 2017
Maine

Was planning on getting a mad batter RDA if I get the Tesla. Because it seems to fit well. Maybe I can find a matching heat sink to match the drip on the matter hatter clone they have available at CanVape.

I have the Tesla 120w on the way now. I went with the OBS engine Nano (gold) to match it up. Should be here mid week. I'll let you know which I like better that the alien or the G-priv

Reactions: Eskie

chandco

Verified Member
May 8, 2017
I had the Alien for a bit, and I liked it. For me, it was a solid mod--nothing super great about it, nothing terrible. But the Steampunk is a nice looking mod, and original, which you don't see too often.

I did have to send my Alien back because it wasn't reading ohms properly (or even consistently). So whatever you choose, hopefully you have somewhere with good customer service. But I think that's pretty unusual for them.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017

really depends on your usage. I'm assuming watts. the tesla is a bit better on temp control (not a high bar the alien is terible) but as a watt mode device both are good. if you can get buy on 120 watts the tesla is more durable but heavier. I did a review here
My alien review should be up hopefully this week as i tested it on latest firmware

Reactions: Krrk

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
IMG_20170501_181712_768.JPG

I use the RDA that came on my Sebone clone. It has a Goon deck and six airholes. I think you can buy just the RDA on 3fvape, I'll check in a few mins :)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Why not buy it from Fasttech? If you use Canada ePost and it is in stock, you'll have it in 2 weeks.

The Tesla seems to be a great mod in my limited experience with one at a B&M. I have an Alien and it has been rock solid for over 5 months of hard daily usage. Hard decision that would come down to aesthetics for me.

I also have a GPriv and it is a great mod as well, but very bulky and heavy. Pretty good TC that is stupidly simple to set using the touchscreen, but the screen is just a cool toy if you use VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread