Steeping and adding nicotine later

Status
Not open for further replies.

shlomsi

Feb 3, 2013
Israel
Hi,
Although I'm new to posting here, Iv'e been reading these forums and done quite a digging and research to enrich my knowledge.
Been vaping for a few months now, always with pre made liquids.
I'm now beginning to DIY my liquids, bought the pure PG and VG and separate 100mg/ml nicotine and of course flavors.
My question is: Is it alright to make a PG/VG + flavor mix, let it steep, and only add the nicotine afterwards?
Or is the steeping process has to include all ingredients in advance?

It sounds like you want to make a larger batch of flavoring and change the nic levels as you go?

Sure, that's fine if you want. Make sure to shake extremely well before use, and realize that post adding the nic the flavor may change as the nic steeps into the flavoring. Nicotine adds a peppery note that seems to take a while to integrate with the rest of the flavors. I find freshly mixed liquids to have too much pepper and too little everything else.

I wouldn't mix up huge amounts of flavoring at once. Some won't have nearly as much durability as others, and will go off faster. Mentholds, mints, and cinnamon seem almost immortal. Fruit flavors turn relatively fast.

shlomsi

Feb 3, 2013
Israel
Thanks,
The reason is, mainly, to not waste the nicotine as I experiment with flavor and only add the nicotine after I'm satisfied with the mix (of course after the nicotine-less mix steeped).
The nicotine level for my liking is quite constant at about 12-15mg/ml.
So I understand that common practice would be to add the nicotine in advance to let all ingredients steep together? (and not be stingy) :)

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Hi! I've just begun diy'ing and I have been trying my best to search and absorb any and all knowledge too.... I saw on you tube more than one person mention that it is the nicotine that is aging and steeping into the juice and that's what changes the flavor, (?) that the juice that is 0 nic does not need to be steeped... i also think I have seen many members post about this same thing..... so,, that would mean that the 0 nic batches wouldn't change flavor until you put the nic in, no matter how long you steep it.....

epage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Eastern North Carolina
Never did it this way, but, I have made pre-made pg/vg/nic bases that I later added flavors too :) In fact, I like to do this often, so that when I want to try a new flavor, I don't have to bust out all of my safety equipment and have clean up. Just add flavoring, and ready to go.... yep, I'm lazy.

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the tip :)
I've yet to DIY, but it's something I'm planning on trying in the near future - saving up to get the right set up...

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
Hi! I've just begun diy'ing and I have been trying my best to search and absorb any and all knowledge too.... I saw on you tube more than one person mention that it is the nicotine that is aging and steeping into the juice and that's what changes the flavor, (?) that the juice that is 0 nic does not need to be steeped... i also think I have seen many members post about this same thing..... so,, that would mean that the 0 nic batches wouldn't change flavor until you put the nic in, no matter how long you steep it.....

Absolutely incorrect! I always make 0 nic juices.. Zero nic is all I vape.. I can't handle the taste of nic juice any more.
The tobacco flavors still need steeping.. complex flavors still need steeping, etc.
I make lots of juice with nicotine because I do a lot of PIF for family and friends, so, bottom line is, if a juice needs steeping with nicotine, it needs steeping without nicotine.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Never did it this way, but, I have made pre-made pg/vg/nic bases that I later added flavors too :) In fact, I like to do this often, so that when I want to try a new flavor, I don't have to bust out all of my safety equipment and have clean up. Just add flavoring, and ready to go.... yep, I'm lazy.

That's what I have been doing. It's practical. I really like to make sure I am getting the nic/pg/vg right so I get to measure once instead a bunch of times. I don't answer the phone and I don't go check and see what the dogs are up to. I just concentrate on getting the nic mg I want. I did 28, 20 and 15 last time in 120 ml bottles. Then when I add th flavor, I am pretty close to 24, 18 and 12 mg:)

nosaint

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Memphis

That's exactly what I do, but the consensus seems to be that more complex flavors and all tobacco flavors need to steep. What flavors are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread