Steeping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmetje21

Aug 30, 2015
Got a quick question about steeping

Allot of people give there juice a steep bath, think around an hour most people do.
Why is this only an hour if it speeds the steep time? After this step people put them in a dark dust free place
I have a temprature regulated waterbed. Which is around 20-25 ddegrees celcius.
Would placing my juice under the sheet also be a 'steep' method?

Allot of people give there juice a steep bath, think around an hour most people do.
Why is this only an hour if it speeds the steep time? After this step people put them in a dark dust free place

No expert here, but I know too much heat or o2 interacting with your juice can degrade the nic content of your juice.

Reactions: Baditude

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Every juice is different. Some are good to go as soon as you get them (or make them). Others (especially tobacco's and vanilla's) do require a steep time for them to fully "develop".

Some, myself included, use an ultra sonic cleaner to reduce the steep time. Here's a few threads. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ltrasonic+cleaner&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1
It does help but time (sitting in the cupboard) produces the best results.

I started making NET's a few months ago. Freshly made, some were good (but not great). Others were fair to meh. After several week in the cupboard, all are very good to outstanding.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead

yes it can but nothing can speed up perfection. It can take a little less time but it still need to sit a bit to meld together fully. That's why you take lots and lots of notes to achieve maximum benefits of steep time for each juice you make. I have some that get better with age and some that lose flavoring quicker with age.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping for a few years now. Tried hundreds of eliquids.

My experience has taught me that nothing beats simple aging over time (aka steeping). When I first get a new flavor, I sample it. If it doesn't seem quite what I expected, I allow the bottle to sit overnight with the top off to allow it to "breathe" (or to allow any alcohol to evaporate). I recap the bottle and shake it. I allow it to sit in a dark room temperature area for a few days. I sample it again. If still not what I expect, I allow it to sit for a few more days and then sample it again.

I've tried heating the the bottle in warm water. I personally didn't see any benefit. Knowing that heat can negatively affect nicotine, I'm wary to heat my eliquids. I've not tried an ultrasonic device, so I don't know if that will help speed the process.

I like to think of "steeping" like cooking a pot roast. The meat, vegetables, and spices will taste very good on the first day. However, by the third or fourth day all the ingredients have had an opportunity to blend to make a great meal.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I've been vaping for a few years now. Tried hundreds of eliquids.

My experience has taught me that nothing beats simple aging over time (aka steeping). When I first get a new flavor, I sample it. If it doesn't seem quite what I expected, I allow the bottle to sit overnight with the top off to allow it to "breathe" (or to allow any alcohol to evaporate). I recap the bottle and shake it. I allow it to sit in a dark room temperature area for a few days. I sample it again. If still not what I expect, I allow it to sit for a few more days and then sample it again.

I've tried heating the the bottle in warm water. I personally didn't see any benefit. Knowing that heat can negatively affect nicotine, I'm wary to heat my eliquids. I've not tried an ultrasonic device, so I don't know if that will help speed the process.

I like to think of "steeping" like cooking a pot roast. The meat, vegetables, and spices will taste very good on the first day. However, by the third or fourth day all the ingredients have had an opportunity to blend to make a great meal.
Get an ultSonic to clean your attys.
Supposedly the Cavitation helps cure the juice. Not in my case. At 1hour of cleaning ambient tap 76° to 138°.
Can that be good?..

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
With my DIY mixes I always use an electric mixer and then I use hot water not over 150 degrees Fahrenheit to help the infusion of the flavors. Heating thins out the mixture allows the liquid to clear and any air bubbles disperse quickly. So from start to finish in a few hours most are ready to vape. Some recipes do take a bit longer for the flavors to blend like deserts and custards.

Vape On Safely

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Technically, "steeping" isn't really the right word, but it's the easiest one to use.

What it's doing in mixing itself, with multiple flavours molecules that eventually break down to recombine with each other, and blend itself with the base. Some flavours have some alcohols in them, which needs to evaporate out of the liquid.

You just need to have the liquid warm to accelerate the process but too much heat with cause issues with some flavouring, but mostly with the nicotine (breaking it down).

For the nicotine, too much air (oxygen) with also be bad.

My method: I just use a larger bottle to do the mixing/preparation and a milk frother that I only let a very little bit of air bubbles to ensure that I can see the blending happening and spin my liquid for a few minutes... it ensure a perfect/complete mix, I transfer it to my normal bottles (30 -50ml) and then leave it alone for a good week or more, aside airing it out once or twice and a quick shake during this time.

For heat, just to get the mixing down, then you should let it cool off. You should not keep the liquid warm/hot for any extended time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread