Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Has anyone taken one apart to see if you can bypass the timer? Probably would be pretty simple to do with the 3 minute timer. I'll order one and tear it apart (8 years in a machine shop and wiring robotic welding machines) this should be cake to do. I'll post step by steps on how to do it if it is possible when I receive the 3 minute one.

I have one with a digital display and wondered this too. If it's possible soldering a simple on / off switch would be fine. But mine also has a fan. Not sure if that's needed :D

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    I got this Ultrasonic Cleaner and have been very happy with it. It can do 30 min cleanings.. has no heater but the water gets pretty hot after a bit (and you can always use hot water to begin with). I've had no issues with it so far, had it for over a year now.

I am `debating between yours an the stainless steel professional one I have listed above. I can see from this $35 one that you are right. If you use hot water to start, it is still hot 4 hours later.

2 questions if you don't mind.

You say its worked well for a year. Hows the quality of it over all? Do you feel it will last 10 years or so?I prefer IF i can to go with one that will last me forever and I won't need to buy again
    Two, I buy my juice in 250ml bottles, not the 30ml. Will such a large one be easy to do in yours? It would be next to impossible i believe in the $35 version..

Thanks

Edit: Now that I look at your page f further, I see they too have the same type of larger professional ones I am also toying with. But I don't expect them to be as good as the Kendall ones, I think they are called for they are another $100 extra, roughly

Bobalex: I only just now saw your post about living in Vancouver. You are in a better situation than I as crossing into Buffalo isn't as great a shopping mecca unless u r looking for clothes, from what I have been led to believe.
    Thanks for all your help. Im very grateful. I know you don't feel you have anything extra to add but just wanted you to recognize that I did see that post, albeit a bit later than intended.

Last edited:

bobalex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Ok, gonna go check it out. I just assumed it would not ship here. Ive looked at s many today my eyes were spinning then :)

Do me a favour?
    Please look at this one as well and tell me what you think?

NEW Professional Stainless Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5L 5L 10L 15L

I still vote for subver's. Mainly because my wife would let me buy it. If I was fabulously well-to-do, and without a glow-in-the-dark credit card, I'd consider the pro model. But I got into UC steeping because I was cheap. My 8 minute model still does the job after 3 years. Sure it's getting wheezy but it still works. Making my own e-liquid has taken my running costs for juice to about 25 cents a day. Factoring in the cost of my UC takes it to 33 cents a day.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    I never knew until last night one could make their own juice. I am not buying this just for juice although that was my initial reason for doing so but not for making it but steeping the ones I bought. NOW i know you can make it, I am going to next look into it BUT ONLY if i can recreate the flavours of my favourite juice by Jughead so I don't know if that can be done as i consider him an artist compared to others I have tasted.

No, this was for other stuff as well BUT, i am not rich but I do believe in buying well as I know that its cheaper in the long run to buy well first and foremost.
    But I am just not yet sure the pro model is overkill BUT i am considering it as I know it will likely last me 10 + years at the slow rate i might use it, whereas a lesser one might only last 3 years.........but will make a decision tonight.

EDIT: i don't know why but this forum keeps correcting my typing but making mistakes when it does so :(
    I have to keep editing to fix them

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    I still vote for subver's. Mainly because my wife would let me buy it. If I was fabulously well-to-do, and without a glow-in-the-dark credit card, I'd consider the pro model. But I got into UC steeping because I was cheap. My 8 minute model still does the job after 3 years. Sure it's getting wheezy but it still works. Making my own e-liquid has taken my running costs for juice to about 25 cents a day. Factoring in the cost of my UC takes it to 33 cents a day.

Anything you can image to clean -- it can even clean fruit like strawberry and blueberry!!!

Hmm, does anyone actually do this?
    So it cleans the dirt off of the berries?
    LOL
    Who'da thunk it? :)

Thanks for all the help. I finally got time to look closely at all of them and went for the one subver suggested. Thanks Subver. I am surprised but pleased I can get it here to Toronto and its only $84 to do all of that

BUT I cant escape the US - Canada problem and this one is going to take me about 3 weeks to receive as well.
    THIS is why I don't bother to usually even look at bay.com or amazon.com and only stick to the .ca links ;)

But I have given up and its either this one or spending $215 for one to be delivered in 3 days ( 2.5 L Professional)
    But thats why I have been hunting down all day and putting so much work into it.
    Every good one I saw i was thwarted by the US Border problem

Last edited:

bobalex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hmm, does anyone actually do this?
    So it cleans the dirt off of the berries?
    LOL
    Who'da thunk it? :)

Thanks for all the help. I finally got time to look closely at all of them and went for the one subver suggested. Thanks Subver. I am surprised but pleased I can get it here to Toronto and its only $84 to do all of that

When I'm not making juice the UC is perfect for making Liposomal Vitamin C:

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    When I'm not making juice the UC is perfect for making Liposomal Vitamin C:

Again, I haven't any idea what that is beyond the obvious, Vitamin C. I've never been one to take vitamins although I suppose I am getting older now and should start.
    The brief bit I have seen suggests you get a low amount when you take store purchased vitamin C and I gather a greater amount when you make this but beyond that, I had planned to look into it this week as soon as I had a chance in which to do so.

/goes to watch video posted of lecithin Granules,etc;

Last edited:

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2013
    NY
    Has anyone taken one apart to see if you can bypass the timer? Probably would be pretty simple to do with the 3 minute timer. I'll order one and tear it apart (8 years in a machine shop and wiring robotic welding machines) this should be cake to do. I'll post step by steps on how to do it if it is possible when I receive the 3 minute one.

If you come up with a fix I'd love to mod mine too.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Again, I haven't any idea what that is beyond the obvious, Vitamin C. I've never been one to take vitamins although I suppose I am getting older now and should start.
    The brief bit I have seen suggests you get a low amount when you take store purchased vitamin C and I gather a greater amount when you make this but beyond that, I had planned to look into it this week as soon as I had a chance in which to do so.

/goes to watch video posted of lecithin Granules,etc;

Hi ShelaghDB,

The brief bit I have seen suggests you get a low amount when you take store purchased vitamin C and I gather a greater amount when you make this ...

That's it. It's called "bioavailability." A couple of ounces a day keeps colds/flu away. You can get everything you need, Non-GMO Lecithin and Vitamin C powder here: Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products And shipping to Canada is very reasonable (no matter how much you order ... $10).

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    The brief bit I have seen suggests you get a low amount when you take store purchased vitamin C and I gather a greater amount when you make this ...
    That's it. It's called "bioavailability." A couple of ounces a day keeps colds/flu away. You can get everything you need, Non-GMO Lecithin and Vitamin C powder here: Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products And shipping to Canada is very reasonable (no matter how much you order ... $10).

Thanks. I will have time today to check it out.
    Fortunately I never get ill or have colds.

My husband that had bronchial problems as a child, colds ever year, pneumonia once didn't have one cold this year, although everyone was sick and attributes that to having quit smoking.

I will have some time laster do do so, thank you.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

I don't know anything about UC's. I just got mine in the mail a few days ago. It's rather small but it has a 30 minute timer.

BlackHillsGoldSource Model 890 $50

FYI, I read several times on this forum that you should let the UC rest for at least 5 minutes between cycles. Supposedly not doing that will shorten the life of the part that generates the vibrations. Just passing this on, I have no idea if it's true or not. I'm following that rule just in case.

On the other hand if it's a choice between a cheap piece of kit lasting 4 years instead of 3 years, versus avoiding a huge amount of frustration, I know which way I would go.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2013
    NY
    I don't know anything about UC's. I just got mine in the mail a few days ago. It's rather small but it has a 30 minute timer.

FYI, I read several times on this forum that you should let the UC rest for at least 5 minutes between cycles. Supposedly not doing that will shorten the life of the part that generates the vibrations. Just passing this on, I have no idea if it's true or not. I'm following that rule just in case.

On the other hand if it's a choice between a cheap piece of kit lasting 4 years instead of 3 years, versus avoiding a huge amount of frustration, I know which way I would go.

I think it depends on the unit, I have seen some with longer timers and I can't believe they would put a timer on that could be set longer then it should be run. The one I have has a fan inside that runs when ever the unit is on, I've run it for 45 min straight. I kept checking the air coming out of it and the body of it, it was never more then slightly warm. Unless your willing to risk it (like me) I'd follow what ever it says in the user manual, some may take it while some may not.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    I think it depends on the unit, I have seen some with longer timers and I can't believe they would put a timer on that could be set longer then it should be run

So, what would be the best time then for a 30ml bottle of juice if lets say you were just steeping one bottle, OR, the time when steeping, lets say, 3 x 250 mL?

disco180

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    New York

I have the same model and its been going strong for a little over a year, and I never let the timer get to "zero"...I fill it with the hottest water I can find, set it to "30 min" and when it gets down to about 15 or so (or when I walk by it) i just hit the time button and put it back up to "30 minutes". I let it run non stop for about 2hrs. I used to let it rest for awhile between cycles but keeping that water hot is optimal for a good steep and yes it makes a difference.

If it kills the life of the "UC" who cares at this price if I have gotten a year already....The price of Cigs is way more :)

bobalex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    So, what would be the best time then for a 30ml bottle of juice if lets say you were just steeping one bottle, OR, the time when steeping, lets say, 3 x 250 mL?

I make 70 mls of 50/50 PG/VG juice per glass bottle. 4 hours (30 eight minute cycles) later it's ready to go. Then steeping pre-made e-liquid will take less. Probably way less. An hour or two?

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
    After going back and forth and buying one suggested here and then cancelling it, I finally decided to go with a more expensive one, slightly more proffesional but I have more to do with it than just juice, I have juice in 250ml bottles and the smaller ones meant i had to run out and buy some small bottles and transfer them BUT most importantly for me, I wanted one I knew would most likely last me 10+ years and not burn out in 2-3 if that.

So I did spend a bit more, after shipping, taxes and so on for $215 in all but as stated I am pretty sure it will last me as long as i need it to do.

Now its arrived, I am pretty impressed with it. Its made exceptionally well and anything I have read about it suggests that everyone loves it. I looked for a similar one by Kendall on amazon.ca a few days ago and c out not find one.
    Today I see one for the same price by Kendall on amazon.ca as well but this one offers me a great warranty so I am not worried about it at all. (listed below)

I make 70 mls of 50/50 PG/VG juice per glass bottle. 4 hours (30 eight minute cycles) later it's ready to go. Then steeping pre-made e-liquid will take less. Probably way less. An hour or two?

Wonders how long that 70mls lasts you, as one person, before you must make more?

But if you take 4 hours to steep 70 mls, I cant imagine i have to almost triple your time?!!
    I wold think that 4 hours would be good enough no matter the size, correct?

Unless others think thats too much time? Curious if anyone does? You know more than I do but I would have just assumed that one hour was good yet you say it really needs as much as 4? Im just surprised but will go by that if that is right?

2 last 2 questions if you don't mind?

1) Is there a preferred temperature? Must it be hot. I am a bit concerned about putting boiling water from the kettle in with it at the start, although I saw people mention doing so with the 3 minute non-heating types?

2) Is using distilled water really the only way to go? Wont tap water leave deposits and cause the stainless steel, or for the matter, the plastic ones to eventually be ruined by such?

If it kills the life of the "UC" who cares at this price if I have gotten a year already....The price of Cigs is way more

I keep seeing people make remarks such as this, as if to rationalize the price of this or that, but ideally, I don't believe any cost should be rationalized especially against cigarettes.
    Yes its true, it might break in 2 years and you still feel its cheaper than cigarettes but rationally, no electrical component that breaks down in 1-2 years should be acceptable.
    Best to spend a bit more IF you can afford it and get one that will last a much longer time and save landfill space if you can afford it.
    I grew up having everything fixed and really hate this way of thinking today, that it is all disposable :(

NEW 2 5L Stainless Steel Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner W Timer Heater Jewelry | eBay

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sloth Tonight

bobalex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hi ShelaghDB,

Wonders how long that 70mls lasts you, as one person, before you must make more?

Usually I make three 70ml bottles at a time. Sometimes four. How long does 280 mls last me? I've never really kept track. It seems like months.

But if you take 4 hours to steep 70 mls, I cant imagine i have to almost triple your time?!! I wold think that 4 hours would be good enough no matter the size, correct?

Correct. And ... the stuff I make is from scratch. If you're steeping pre-made e-liquid I'd assume the UC steep ime would be waaaaay shorter.

Is there a preferred temperature?

At or below 150 degrees F seems to be the general consensus. My heater stopped working a long time ago but the UC action seems to keep the water temp warm enough to make the magic happen. I start off with hot tap water and go from there.

Is using distilled water really the only way to go? Wont tap water leave deposits and cause the stainless steel, or for the matter, the plastic ones to eventually be ruined by such?

I've always used tap water. Every time. And I've seen no mineral buildup ever. I do rinse it out afterwards because the Liposomal Vitamin C goes straight into the tank. I use distilled water for that.

Re: buying cheap ...

My wife hated my smoking. Me too. When I started vaping I wanted to show her how a $7 a day (or more) habit miraculously turned into something waaaaaaaaay cheaper. And over the last 5 years I've spent just a fraction of the 13 thousand dollars I would have spent on cigarettes. I started doing the DIY thing to drive down the running costs of my vaping habit even more. I hated waiting 3-4 weeks for my tobacco DIY e-liquid to mature, ripen, steep, whatever you want to call it. We had an extremely cheap 3 minute cycle UC and I was either lazy, inspired, or exasperated enough, to see if the UC would speed up the steeping process. And Whaddaya know ... I had good tasting vapable juice in a matter of hours instead of weeks. I hit the DIY forum to spread the Good UC news and the rest is history.

But getting back to my wife ... we're on a budget. A pretty tight one. Every expense has to be accounted for. She's an accountant. I'm not. My idea of balancing the checkbook is to put it on the kitchen scale. That's why she's the adult when it comes to keeping track of the dollars. If vendors didn't send me gear to review for free (reviews here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperBeansBob/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid) I wouldn't know anything about the neat hardware out there.

The next UC we'll be will be the one we buy that'll last. We use the UC to make Liposomal Vitamin C more often than I use it to make juice. And that stuff's healthy for everybody.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread