Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Just a tad of drift comin' up. I made another video. This time it's a "wickless" sub ohm tank. Might sound weird ... tastes great:

The next video will be about my lazy-man adventures with the UC.

Love your videos brother.
That device looks interesting to say the least.......

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I got my first dozen from Specialty bottle co. Great prices but expensive shipping.

I got my next bunches from RTS Vapor & Wizard Labs while ordering DIY supplies.
I almost always make my orders enough $$ for free shipping so throwing in some bottles & caps was a no brainer.

OTOH - I've been ordering from 2 oz Cobalt Blue Glass Boston Round Bottle | Glass Bottles, Jars, Closures & More | Packaging Options Direct
I wish I knew about them when I started.
Great selection & prices, decent shipping cost and sometimes give free shipping to new customers.
You'll need to order the matching poly cone caps or droppers separately.
20-400 Continuous Thread Lined Black Phenolic Closure
20mm Dropper Assembly in Black w/ 89mm Pipette

I have way too many 1oz, not enough 2oz, plenty of 4oz & just enough 8oz but I DIY so I need a selection
I'd get a dozen 1oz with matching caps & 1/2 dozen droppers to start.
the 1oz & 2oz use the same cap but different droppers.
Let me get the correct links for the 1oz (30ml) gear for you BRB

thanks for the tip on the bottles - you rock!

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I really like the experiments with ultrasonic and if I'm reading it all correctly, the results are better than simply a warm bath.

After thinking it through, I wonder if warming the juice and then spinning it in a small high speed blender for a good while would be similar or even better. The blender will introduce air which you'd think would speed that "just enough" oxidation needed, and it would certainly blend it all together. Anybody try doing that? I'd try it but I think my wife would kill me for using her blender on my ejuice. ;)

Reactions: I'mnotZak

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Just a tad of drift comin' up. I made another video. This time it's a "wickless" sub ohm tank. Might sound weird ... tastes great:

The next video will be about my lazy-man adventures with the UC.

Like your videos. I still remember the (think it was) Leo video. Keep 'em coming!

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I really like the experiments with ultrasonic and if I'm reading it all correctly, the results are better than simply a warm bath.

After thinking it through, I wonder if warming the juice and then spinning it in a small high speed blender for a good while would be similar or even better. The blender will introduce air which you'd think would speed that "just enough" oxidation needed, and it would certainly blend it all together. Anybody try doing that? I'd try it but I think my wife would kill me for using her blender on my ejuice. ;)

Update: I have run an additional seven 30ml (New juice purchased from various vendors) bottles through my new US and all have had great results. The end results was very vapeable juice. As previously posted, I followed the procedure advice from @Mowgli and @bobalex as provided in earlier posts in this thread. I'm not sure about the blender method however, my vote would always be with a Mad Scientist to run the experiment. Good luck and try your best to avoid "death by wife" if you decide to give it a whirl!

Reactions: Mad Scientist

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hey Dannyv, it's always good to hear that a fellow vapor owns this US and is happy with the device. You are correct, my first steep run gave great results on the 2 bottles that I steeped. I followed the advice shared by @Mowgli and @bobalex posted earlier in this thread with excellent results. I am always eager to learn, is your process similar?

Have a great day and July 4 weekend!

My process is very similar. You got some great advice there.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey

I'm not to sure about the blender idea. Introducing to much air to quickly may over oxidize the NIC and produce a harsher then normal vape. The idea of steeping is to control the rate of oxidation as well as melding flavor molecules to the base material. This seems to be accomplished my adding motion and heat at a constant temperature over a certain period of time. A UC seems to provide heat and motion where as a crock pot just adds heat. So you are correct that a UC is a better choice. But there was a blind taste test done which I participated in where there was very little difference between both a UC and crock pot (Results are further back in this thread). The UC did have a very slight edge when both were done at 150F over 5 hours. So the debate turned into nothing more then "Is the cost of a UC over a crock pot worth the extra expense".

This test started right around here.

Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III | Page 59 | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I'm not to sure about the blender idea. Introducing to much air to quickly may over oxidize the NIC and produce a harsher then normal vape. The idea of steeping is to control the rate of oxidation as well as melding flavor molecules to the base material. This seems to be accomplished my adding motion and heat at a constant temperature over a certain period of time. A UC seems to provide heat and motion where as a crock pot just adds heat. So you are correct that a UC is a better choice. But there was a blind taste test done which I participated in where there was very little difference between both a UC and crock pot (Results are further back in this thread). The UC did have a very slight edge when both were done at 150F over 5 hours. So the debate turned into nothing more then "Is the cost of a UC over a crock pot worth the extra expense".

This test started right around here.

Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III | Page 59 | E-Cigarette Forum

Fantastic actual scientific test! Same as the old adage: if you can't tell it doesn't matter.

I think I will need to try the blender idea. Can't get good data without an empirical test lol.

mikey42

Apr 30, 2015
Southern California
It really works!!!

I made 5 test batches of juice, one of which FA Cowboy Blend. Of that one i know its color changes after 2 or 3 weeks of steeping.
I put the bottles for an hour (2 times 30 minutes) in the ultrasonic. And BAM, the cowboy blend is colored yellow.
From the taste of it i can say that this method is worth a two weeks steep. So two weeks brought back to 1 hour :)

Perfect solution! Me happy :) :) :) :banana::rickroll:
I don't know if this really fits into this thread or not, but just today I started out vaping a sample bottle in a 6ml clearomizer and it definitely could have used more steeping time because it had that perfumey taste going on that I cannot stand.

The clearomizer had a persistent slow leak/flooding problem (turned out to be just a tiny translucent o-ring had riden up a bit out of place) and in the process of pouring the juice back and forth between the clearomizer and the bottle two or three times for disassembly and cleaning to find the leak the perfumey taste has vanished altogether and this stuff is smooth as can be now! Maybe just that small amount of aireration evaporated the offending fumes?

I don't know, but thought this possibly could be useful in speeding up steep times along with the cool GUCE thing.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Fantastic actual scientific test! Same as the old adage: if you can't tell it doesn't matter.

I think I will need to try the blender idea. Can't get good data without an empirical test lol.

Great idea. Someone should run that test using a blender, a milk frother, A paint shaker, a sawz-all and a UC.

Diyguy

May 30, 2015
I just did my first DIY batch yesterday. I steeped in a UC with heat. One minor issue, my bottles had screw-on caps, which were tightened. The heat seemed to ruin the rubbery cap seals. These caps are the ones with a conical poly seal.

The caps don't leak, but as I tighten them, it feels like the caps hit hard plastic, not a soft gasket. That wasn't the case prior to UC/heating.

Should I loosen the caps slightly while in the UC? Maybe that would help. ?

Other than that, it went well. Haven't tasted the juice yet. Waiting 2 days...

By the way, thanks for the great guidance from this thread!

Reactions: dcfluegel

mikey42

Apr 30, 2015
Southern California
I just did my first DIY batch yesterday. I steeped in a UC with heat. One minor issue, my bottles had screw-on caps, which were tightened. The heat seemed to ruin the rubbery cap seals. These caps are the ones with a conical poly seal.

The caps don't leak, but as I tighten them, it feels like the caps hit hard plastic, not a soft gasket. That wasn't the case prior to UC/heating.

mikey42

Apr 30, 2015
Southern California
I take the caps off on my 60 ml bottles when I first steep with my UC. I read on ecf somewhere that it helps oxidize/ oxidate? Ha, the molecules and nicotine and all that good stuff. I've got a UC from Amazon, it's a Black Hills Gold (sorry, don't know how to post a thread of the model) that holds 2 60 ml bottles with ease. It can hold 3, but I wasn't sure they should be touching each other. My model can do 30 min. cycles. I do 10-12 cycles and it's vapable, I use tobacco flavors only. I have made some good stuff from recipes right here on ecf. I'm still a noon, but I've read hundreds of threads on this site. Happy to be a member. So that's my advice diyguy, just leave caps off and shake em' every cycle, or when you think to. Vape on!

Diyguy

May 30, 2015
Gosh, there are so many messages in this thread, and it's been a couple weeks since I read many of them. But somehow I got the impression that leaving the caps ON was preferred. One reason (I think there were others) was to prevent water dripping from the UC lid into the bottles. This wouldn't be a concern with large bottles that extend higher than the lid perhaps, but mine are all 15ml at this stage, and I used the lid. :)

My 15ml bottles dance around along the UC pan bottom during the cycle. They didn't tip over, but it was a concern given all the movement.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
My 15ml bottles dance around along the UC pan bottom during the cycle. They didn't tip over, but it was a concern given all the movement.

I worried about mine tipping over too so I rubber band all the bottles together regardless of size and it gives it real nice stability.

Reactions: Diyguy

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey

The poly cone caps may have gotten soft during steeping but should harden when cooled so as long as they don't leak I wouldn't worry about it. Next time screw on the caps just to they tightened and don't leak. Don't crank down on them super tight.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I take the caps off on my 60 ml bottles when I first steep with my UC. I read on ecf somewhere that it helps oxidize/ oxidate? Ha, the molecules and nicotine and all that good stuff. I've got a UC from Amazon, it's a Black Hills Gold (sorry, don't know how to post a thread of the model) that holds 2 60 ml bottles with ease. It can hold 3, but I wasn't sure they should be touching each other. My model can do 30 min. cycles. I do 10-12 cycles and it's vapable, I use tobacco flavors only. I have made some good stuff from recipes right here on ecf. I'm still a noon, but I've read hundreds of threads on this site. Happy to be a member. So that's my advice diyguy, just leave caps off and shake em' every cycle, or when you think to. Vape on!

I'm not so sure about steeping with the caps off. I would be concerned about condensation getting into the bottles. I've been steeping with a UC for over 2 years with the caps on and gotten excellent results. The only reason you would want to take the caps off is to air off alcohol or unpleasent chemical odor and taste. And at that airing is only done for 24 - 48 hours and not during the steeping process. Airing and steeping are 2 different things with different purposes. You should read my blog on steeping.

Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some. | E-Cigarette Forum

mikey42

Apr 30, 2015
Southern California
Sorry, the lid of my UC doesn't close with 2 60ml bottles in it. I would steep and shake for a day with the 60ml bottles, caps off, then cap and set aside in the dark for a week or so, while doing the next batch. I'd forgotten that I started with the 15ml bottles. Of course those had the droppers on them and must not be submerged and leak out of, or water into them. I mix in 118ml batches, then shake up a few times, and divide into 2 60ml bottles, hence the caps off. It was late when I posted, apologies to danny45, I will re-read your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread