still ashamed to vape in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
so, i'm vaping for like an year now, not a single stinky, but i'm still feeling uncomfortable to vape in front of other people (especially kids) since i imagine that in the eyes of others my pt2 looks like a {OTHER STUFF} or smthng similar. it was kinda easier with the egos since they were more discreet, but no one can take my 2.6ml bccs away from me - they're so handy. anyway, do you still feel ashamed of vaping in public? i ocassionally get some bad looks from elderly people and i don't like it, i also don't like seeing young people observing me with interest and i get the feeling i'm promoting an illegal activity or smthng.. cops look at me in a weird manner too, also other drivers at traffic lights.. i don't know, perhaps i'm just being paranoid..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fiatrix

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
so, i'm vaping for like an year now, not a single stinky, but i'm still feeling uncomfortable to vape in front of other people (especially kids) since i imagine that in the eyes of others my pt2 looks like a {OTHER STUFF} or smthng similar. it was kinda easier with the egos since they were more discreet, but no one can take my 2.6ml bccs away from me - they're so handy. anyway, do you still feel ashamed of vaping in public? i ocassionally get some bad looks from elderly people and i don't like it, i also don't like seeing young people observing me with interest and i get the feeling i'm promoting an illegal activity or smthng.. cops look at me in a weird manner too, also other drivers at traffic lights.. i don't know, perhaps i'm just being paranoid..

That's one good thing about having a pipe shaped 'epipe'.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I kinda have a Fundamental Believe that if I feel Uncomfortable doing Something, and do Not Need to Do Something, then why Do It?

I don't like some of the Attention that Using a e-Cigarette in Public Brings me. So when I'm Out and About, I like to use a Smaller, more Discrete looking e-Cigarette. Verses a Large MOD with a Huge Tank on it.

Maybe using a Different e-Cigarette from the One you are Currently using would make you fell More Comfortable?

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
know the feeling... :facepalm:

when it happens, you know one or maybe a few are looking,
I don't address anyone directly, I just kinda bark out- "It's an ELECTRIC CIG"

most of the time once the "ice" is broken, people are all "Oh I've heard of bla.bla.bla "

some still wrinkle up nose and walk off... :glare:

hard to do it in a car though... :ohmy:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I feel the same way. I try not to vape in front of kids. And I live in a small town. I have seriously never seen another vaper! Not one time! I was just at a park when I really wanted to vape. I felt awkward, then I noticed a man with a cigar, I figured why not? So I do it, but to be honest, in a small town full of smokers, it can feel awkward.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
After vaping for over 3 years, I'm fighting those feelings, forcing myself to vape when driving in heavy traffic, parking lots, in public where smoking is permitted, etc. I still put my vape down when pulling up next to police, as I've found them to be very unpredictable in other situations. I have no problem vaping in front of children. I was sorta taken aback recently when I went into a head shop and realized the vaporizing devices they sell for other, hmm, smokable substances are VERY similar in appearance to the mods we use. Still, I think it is important to get out there and show others what vaping is all about.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Initially yes, but I got over it fast. People are entitled to their opinions and I'm entitled to not give a #%&#.

However, I never smoke in front of kids, or if I was smoking and some were passing by I did my best to hide it. So I've never vaped in front of them either. Most will probably think it looks "cool" and want to go look it up and get one for themselves.

YMe1121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
usa
i dont feel bad about it at all, in fact sometimes i enjoy the attention because those who stare usually come to me and ask questions, and it gives me a chance to educate someone from the first hand perspective, not just what the news allows o filter out into the airwaves. and as for kids, i dont like thinking that them seeing me vaping is going to contribute to them picking up the habit, ut the reverse side of that, is how much exposure does smoking get? it is better for them to pick up vaping rather than make the mistake most of us made and pick up the analog in the first place.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

It has been many years of demonizing smoking that has so entrenched the idea of negative, unacceptable, behavior that it is very difficult to over come. If we X smokers feel this way imagine the view of vaping that many non smokers feel. This will be a very difficult hurdle to jump for the industry. The non stop barrage of propaganda at some point reaches brainwashing. Particularly true when the intent goes beyond providing information but seeks to dictate and change behavior. The powers to be today learned a lot from Hitler and Stalin. Media=Manipulation.

Jackstand Johnny

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Virginia, USA
I got Tue sake feeling the other day when I was outside the hospital pharmacy waiting to get my scripts filled. You have to walk two blocks out of the hospital property to smoke. Problem with that is I've only got one leg and crutchingnit all that way just for a smoke is a pain in the ... and since I'm not technically smoking I figured it wasn't against the rules.
I still found myself being very discreet and sneaky. Then a guy walks up a few feet from me and fires up a cigarette which didn't help my case any. I understand why you can't smoke an actual analog out there but I don't think thhetres anything wrong with releasing harmless vapor into the air. I feel bad that I feel bad about gaping in places like that.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Yep, I feel that shame when vaping in public. Not all the time, and not to the degree that OP is allowing it to fester.

I think that shame is tied to the shaming of smoking / smokers. I think feeling that shame is the ultimate aim of the anti-vaper. I truly do. I don't think it is the fear, danger, uncertainty stuff that makes for most political discussions we have on ECF. The shame is what YOU will carry in, and proceed accordingly. Once you overcome the lies induced from the fear and uncertainty, you are going to proceed to use eCigs in way that makes most sense to you. But the shame aspect can still be prevalent enough to keep you from feeling comfortable enough to use it around others, with others.

I equate that shame feeling to how I feel about public speaking, or other public phobias that may be entirely personal to me, but of which I am certain I'm not the only person on the planet that feels this. If I am one that feels uncomfortable/shameful about public speaking, would a wise person suggest i never speak in public, or that I practice the activity, and take steps to overcome the shame feeling so that I will be able to speak in public? For the little voice in me, that convinces me public speaking is never necessary, no one wants to hear what I have to say, and that something dreadfully could go wrong if I did do this in public, does have its logic at work for how I shall proceed. And as long as I feel that way, then shaming is doing the exact job that it is called upon to do.

What I find truly, most helpful to vaping in public, is to 'vape like you belong there.' Like vaping is welcomed and that you are natural to be vaping there, regardless of the circumstances, the people, the age of those around you. For once you do regard those, there will be naysayers who will paint it as, "you are inconsiderate, you are rude, etc" for daring to vape in that situation. So, perhaps start in places where there isn't many people around, and vape there like you belong there. Practice vaping in public. Start small and simple, and work your way up.

Hopefully you get to the point where the shame is greatly lessened and you are setting example. You are showing everyone that respectful vaping in public is possible and what that looks like. And you are showing smokers that it is possible to enjoy your habit, without shame, in public. And ideally, you get to the point where you are so comfortable, so respectful, so considerate that even when militant anti-vaper approaches you in public, you aren't defensive, nor shameful, nor willing to stop the activity altogether because one person was vocal enough to claim there is a problem. When reality is, there is no problem vaping indoors. Especially when it is done respectfully, and with consideration for others.

Or it is equal problem to breathing in public. Where germs and cooties can come from your breath. And infect the kids.
You don't want to give kids cooties now, do you?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I have progressed from asking before I vape, to vaping without asking. There are times when I feel a bit uncomfortable, as if people are staring, but I am getting used to it. However, when asked to not vape, I courteously cease the activity. Even though I carry an argumentative conversation in my head for a bit afterwards.

The Duke

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
Seattle, WA

That is why after 3 years of vaping I still keep ego batts and cartos around. They are my go to when I leave the house. I have never had a problem with that combination. The first time I rocked a protank I got a summons to the deans office to explain to me that they were notified that I was smoking ......... on school property. MJ is not illegal where I live but the land sharing agreement with the the Federal government my school has made it a big deal. I explained and showed them my ecig and everything has been fine since, but its been ego batts and boge since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread