still ashamed to vape in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
"Just saying" isn't evidence. It's scaremongering imho.
tons of ecf threads on the subject, all packed with info, let's not start it here please. read the data in the fraunhofer research, also read the various links to others. nothng to panic about, of course, with formaldehyde levels that low, but still not a harmless summer mist. just sayin

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Any evidence for your assertions? You can't possibly be saying that vaping is as harmful as smoking tobacco. Can you?

Do you believe that Possible Harm to the User, or Possible harm to those around the User are the ONLY Factors that go into an e-Cigarette Use Policy?

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
Illinois
just saying you're not gonna be the one to decide if you'll be vaping around my baby, for example.

On your property, you would be correct. Your house, your rules.

In a public place, where there are no regulations against it and we have equal rights? You don't get to dictate. In that situation there are basically three kinds of people. Those who ignore it or don't even notice. Those who are curious and ask about it. And those who deliberately walk up to a vaper so they can fake cough, b*tch, moan, and raise a stink. Out of curiosity, which are you?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No. What's your point? Original post quoted by glycerol was about tobacco.

Just asking if Harm is the Only Factor in deciding a Policy?

The Policy Committee I was on of Course wanted to know if e-Cigarettes were Harmful to the User or Others.

But there were Other Consideration that went into the Final Decision.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Just asking if Harm is the Only Factor in deciding a Policy?

The Policy Committee I was on of Course wanted to know if e-Cigarettes were Harmful to the User or Others.

But there were Other Consideration that went into the Final Decision.

Interesting. What were the "Other Consideration" - and what was the Policy Committee for/about? Just curious. :)

glycerol

ECF Veteran
On your property, you would be correct. Your house, your rules.

In a public place, where there are no regulations against it and we have equal rights? You don't get to dictate. In that situation there are basically three kinds of people. Those who ignore it or don't even notice. Those who are curious and ask about it. And those who deliberately walk up to a vaper so they can fake cough, b*tch, moan, and raise a stink. Out of curiosity, which are you?
in an advanced modern society it's not all about what one *can* do, it's more about what one *should*

just my 2 euro cents

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I carry (sometimes wear lol) an ego when out and about and unless I forget to take the lanyard off and toss it in my purse, not many even notice. Even if I'm 'wearing' it I rarely get more than a second glance.

I have no problem using it in front of children especially outside (If they're very young and ask I tell them it's 'medicine that helps me not smoke cigarettes' and they usually go "Ohhhh...cool" and wander off). My own kids are old enough to understand and be proud and happy about their mom not stinking anymore, so no issues.

I don't vape in certain places out of what I feel is respectful (around food, in small enclosed spaces, in businesses or other people's homes without permission, etc.) In a bar or similar place I ask permission and usually get it.

Embarrassed? Not at all. Although I do take care to be extra discreet when my kids are with me, there's no need to deliberately expose them to more of the ugliness, lies and ignorance "those" people can dish out than necessary. Thankfully "those" people are relatively few. But if I were ashamed to vape I wouldn't do it.

I Love this post, ChurchMouse!!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
in an advanced modern society it's not all about what one *can* do, it's more about what one *should*

just my 2 euro cents

This sounds like a draconian doctrine, don't you think? I would like to hope that a modern European society should be thinking far more about what their people can do rather than what they should do. Who decides "should" - religious folk? Philosophers? Politicians?

Or people? :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Interesting. What were the "Other Consideration" - and what was the Policy Committee for/about? Just curious. :)

Policy for a College Campus.

Some of the Considerations were:

Legal Liability
Actual Content of the e-Liquid (what we Can't Talk about on the ECF)
The Teachers Union position on e-Cigarettes
How a Student Policy would impact a Non-Instructional Employee of the College
Possible Loss of State and Federal Funding
Propagation of an Addiction
Loss of Foundational Funding
Enforcement and Penalties
etc.

It would be Nice if Harm was the Only Consideration when forming an e-Cigarette Use Policy. But in the Real World, things Are Not so One Dimensional or Simple.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Policy for a College Campus.

Some of the Considerations were:

Legal Liability
Actual Content of the e-Liquid (what we Can't Talk about on the ECF)
The Teachers Union position on e-Cigarettes
How a Student Policy would impact a Non-Instructional Employee of the College
Possible Loss of State and Federal Funding
Propagation of an Addiction
Loss of Foundational Funding
Enforcement and Penalties
etc.

It would be Nice if Harm was the Only Consideration when forming an e-Cigarette Use Policy. But in the Real World, things Are Not so One Dimensional or Simple.

Of course - insurance can also be a big issue on campuses. However, where there are campuses there should be students - and they will be bright enough to argue the cause for vaping if they believe in it. Alternatively they can just roll over and let the college authorities treat them as if they weren't paying customers.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Who decides "should" - religious folk? Philosophers? Politicians?

Or people? :)
*you* are the religious folk
*you* are all the philosophers and politicians
*you* are god
*you* are me
*you* are the universe

so is this purely a personal decision? yes, *if* it was 100% harmless. well, it's not.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
*you* are the religious folk
*you* are all the philosophers and politicians
*you* are god
*you* are me
*you* are the universe

so is this purely a personal decision? yes, *if* it was 100% harmless. well, it's not.

I'm a bit confused. You appear to be talking twaddle.

Mountain air isn't 100% safe. What's your point?

Is the avatar Philip Larkin in a lab coat? :) Or is it meant to suggest "I am not a doctor - but..."?

P.S. I am not you. I'm really not. Get used to it. :)

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Of course - insurance can also be a big issue on campuses. However, where there are campuses there should be students - and they will be bright enough to argue the cause for vaping if they believe in it. Alternatively they can just roll over and let the college authorities treat them as if they weren't paying customers.

I'm not sure you Understand how a State College or University works in the USA.

But students have Very Little say in most things. And on my Campus, they had No Say in the Policy Making process.

The Only thing that Students played a Part in was Getting the Ban Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread