Status
Not open for further replies.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hi all. Been a busy week or so for me. Welcome to the newcomers here. You have been given some good tips and tricks.

vaping and quitting smoking is an individual journey; everyone has to find the path that works for them. It usually boils down to a lot of trial and error, trying different gear and juice and combinations of it all until you find something that works for YOU.

I am one of the lucky ones. I smoked for 46 years and had tried to quit a multitude of times with no success. I did manage to quit for 6 months several years before I found vaping but a major surgery drove me right back to 2 packs a day. I discovered ecigs while I was in a tobacco shop buying my carton of Marlboros. Saw a Blu and decided to buy one and check it out. I knew after 15 minutes of puffing on it that it was not strong enough to help me quit, but it was enough for me to start Google ecigs, etc. and I found ECF. 2 weeks of constant reading and asking questions (and finding this thread); and I bought a Vision Spinner with Evods and 510 attys and I started vaping.

The people in this thread were wonderful and patient with me. I knew nothing of vaping and they helped walk me through the selection of my first setup. Then after a week of vaping I had to up my nic to 24mg and the long summer of no sleep began. I had more than enough nic to quell the physical cravings; I had none. But the mind is a dangerous place. I never smoked a cigarette but I was a monster, 24 hours a day; and virtually sleepless for weeks. The people here kept me smoke free and sane (an opinion, there).

I will be 2 years smoke free on July 12, 2015. I could only have done this with ECF and the people in this thread. This is the thread to come and set yourself free and get help and ideas about vaping and smoking or not smoking. Lots more people are dual users than is reflected in the general posting. A new person may think they are failing if they do not magically stop smoking after the first tank of juice.

It usually does not work like that. It takes some work and soul searching and gear and juice searching. And time. But with vaping, you are giving yourself the most powerful tools available to quit smoking.

Here is the link to the first Still Smoking thread, which is now closed. There is a lot of good reading and experience shared. Several of us made many breakthroughs and reached milestones, among the setbacks along the way.

Yes I still Smoke Cigarettes and I am addicted to the smoking habit - support and chat thread. | E-Cigarette Forum

The best I can say to newcomers is to count the ones you do not smoke. Embrace The Suck (thank you, FinallyQuit). And keep reading and posting; stay engaged and ask questions. You will find your way.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
My cravings have been terrible and today has been stressful. I rolled two cigarettes. I only had two drags and had to put it out. So bitter and harsh. I realize I'm craving a pleasure that no longer exists. There's nothing pleasant about smoking at all. But I still have the cravings. What is wrong with me. Yes, I still plan to try WTA.
Sometimes, I still have thoughts/feelings that a cigarette would be just the thing to make me feel better in that moment, but I know it’s not true.
The people in this thread were wonderful and patient with me. I knew nothing of vaping and they helped walk me through the selection of my first setup. Then after a week of vaping I had to up my nic to 24mg and the long summer of no sleep began. I had more than enough nic to quell the physical cravings; I had none. But the mind is a dangerous place. I never smoked a cigarette but I was a monster, 24 hours a day; and virtually sleepless for weeks. The people here kept me smoke free and sane (an opinion, there).
Thank you for sharing your story. I can totally relate. For me, the physiological dependency on cigarettes was the worse to break!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When my stepfather was in the hospital for his heart attack/bypass, and we were staying with my mom, I got so stressed at one point that I went outside to vape, as if I was going out to smoke. And I asked myself, is it a cigarette craving? Would that make me feel better? But I realized that it really wouldn't, and in fact I wasn't really craving a cigarette at all, it was just a familiar place my mind goes, in times of stress. Like sticking your tongue in the hole left by having your sore tooth pulled -- the pain is gone, but the tongue still wants to go there. :D

After having a familiar and comforting habit for DECADES, it's hard to train the mind to do something different; it's a rat in a maze, and changing the maze confuses the poor rat, who keeps trying to run the same course. Eventually, the rat has to learn a new maze to find the cheese... or starve!

Andria

TxTigger

Sep 23, 2012
Texas, U.S.A.
Hey Kiddos,
I finally found my way back!! Did you miss me? I've been thinking about y'all a lot. I hope life has been treating you all well. Just popping by to say hi. Of course I have questions too. :pervy: (1) What makes an atomizer a "dripping atomizer? Is it just any atomizer/clearomizer with a bottom coil? No, that can't be right. and (2) Could/would anyone suggest a dripping atomizer that would work well with the Vision Spinner II?
Please and thank you,
Tiggs
I'll check back later. oxox

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hey, Tigg! We did miss you, glad to have you back. Don't stay away so long next time. :( How's it going with you?

A dripping atomizer is an atomizer without a tank or reservoir for juice. You have to drip your juice onto the coil and wick, then vape it until it needs more juice to be dripped on it. You can use a small disposable 510 atomizer but most commonly you use an RDA and that requires rebuilding your own coils.

I only have a few RDAs but I would think for a Vision Spinner you'd need a smaller one. The only small one I have is the Atomic. It's smaller in diameter and can be used with single or dual coils. I'm sure there are many more that would work but I'll wait for someone more experienced than myself to make suggestions. Good luck!

Last edited:

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Hey Kiddos,
I finally found my way back!! Did you miss me? I've been thinking about y'all a lot. I hope life has been treating you all well. Just popping by to say hi. Of course I have questions too. [emoji14]ervy: (1) What makes an atomizer a "dripping atomizer? Is it just any atomizer/clearomizer with a bottom coil? No, that can't be right. and (2) Could/would anyone suggest a dripping atomizer that would work well with the Vision Spinner II?
Please and thank you,
Tiggs
I'll check back later. oxox
Hey Tiggs, welcome back.

I have a couple small rda's that i have used on a spinner style battery. Totally Wicked e-liquid has one (crap company, pretty good rda for $8) and another I liked was called the Firefly I think.

Basically, it's a 14mm rda the deck is really small, so is the stock airflow. But, its also very simple because there are only 2 posts to deal with so you can't mount the coil wrong (unless its touching the deck or top cap, but you probably knew that lol).

Just make sure that you build the coil to your battery limit (1.2Ω or above I think) and if you use the factory silica wick, it will only hold about 3-4 drops of juice per time you drip. Makes it about perfect for juice testing!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Really you can use any RDA with a spinner, no matter how big, if you have a flared cone so it doesn't look goofy sitting on that slim battery -- I put my Magma on my iTaste vv3's sometimes. It's the resistance that's the crucial point. With a Spinner, I wouldn't go below 1.8Ω, but 2 ohms would be safer.

Andria

Reactions: ShariR

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Really you can use any RDA with a spinner, no matter how big, if you have a flared cone so it doesn't look goofy sitting on that slim battery -- I put my Magma on my iTaste vv3's sometimes. It's the resistance that's the crucial point. With a Spinner, I wouldn't go below 1.8Ω, but 2 ohms would be safer.

Andria
I ran mine down at about 1.2Ω but that's just preference. As long as you're above the bottom resistance limit you will be fine. Basically a spinner-type battery is a regulated vv-adjustable mod. Just keep in mind that lower resistance and/or higher power will eat battery faster.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I ran mine down at about 1.2Ω but that's just preference. As long as you're above the bottom resistance limit you will be fine. Basically a spinner-type battery is a regulated vv-adjustable mod. Just keep in mind that lower resistance and/or higher power will eat battery faster.

I guess my feeling is that those slim "ego-type" batteries are somewhat... fragile? Volatile? I know they're mostly ICR rather than IMR, and that type seem to be implicated in most of the "e-cig disasters" that have hit the news, so running a low-ohm coil on one of those might overstress it, make it more prone to "feces occurs -- and it burnt a hole in my carpet." (if not worse!)

Andria

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
I guess my feeling is that those slim "ego-type" batteries are somewhat... fragile? Volatile? I know they're mostly ICR rather than IMR, and that type seem to be implicated in most of the "e-cig disasters" that have hit the news, so running a low-ohm coil on one of those might overstress it, make it more prone to "feces occurs -- and it burnt a hole in my carpet." (if not worse!)

Andria
Oh definitely, I'm not suggesting anyone push the battery at all but my bottom resistance threshold on my Vision Spinner was 1.2Ω and ran a small single coil rda for weeks on end with no problem.

That's not to say I didn't get lucky either lol.

Also, since they are semi-regulated (not at all like a Innokin VV3 or Provari style unit with true micropchip controls) mine just wouldn't fire at all below that resistance. Unlike a mechanical which will pretty much fire anything the battery can send power to. Either way, if you're not comfortable with a rebuildable or your ability to safely run one, an ego battery is not the place to start running them, regardless of the resistance you build to.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Oh definitely, I'm not suggesting anyone push the battery at all but my bottom resistance threshold on my Vision Spinner was 1.2Ω and ran a small single coil rda for weeks on end with no problem.

That's not to say I didn't get lucky either lol.

Also, since they are semi-regulated (not at all like a Innokin VV3 or Provari style unit with true micropchip controls) mine just wouldn't fire at all below that resistance. Unlike a mechanical which will pretty much fire anything the battery can send power to. Either way, if you're not comfortable with a rebuildable or your ability to safely run one, an ego battery is not the place to start running them, regardless of the resistance you build to.

It's really weird, but I can actually get my vv3s to fire all the way down to .8 -- anything lower and it won't fire at all, but the fact that it fires lower than 1.3, that amazed me -- my sigelei and vamo won't, and my kicks won't fire below 1.0.

Andria

Reactions: etherealink

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
It's really weird, but I can actually get my vv3s to fire all the way down to .8 -- anything lower and it won't fire at all, but the fact that it fires lower than 1.3, that amazed me -- my sigelei and vamo won't, and my kicks won't fire below 1.0.

Andria
It's a number set by the manufacturer that varies.

If you look it up they probably say it's around 1.2Ω or something similar for safety reasons.

There's something specific I want to mention that's related to that aspect but normally saved for cloud chasers, however, since a lot of us rebuild and things can go wrong easily I thought it was worth it as it pertains to safety.

The concept is called "Pulse Range" and basically it means to pull more amperage out of a battery for a short burst than it can safely discharge for a continuous amount of time (a 5 second draw from an e-cigarette for example).

If you look at the batteries we are using (originally intended for low current devices like flashlights) there are 2 basic types, high drain and low drain. The high drain style, like the 30 amp Sony VTC5's and similar have a continuous amp draw rating of 30 amps; most of the low drain batteries have an amp draw around 10 amps and below.

What happens when you enter pulse range is the battery rapidly transfers energy, faster than the chemistry (be it ICR or IMR) is designed for. The result is that it heats up very rapidly, some reports say a couple hundred degrees a second! That is the reason that your switch gets hot when there is a short, well, that and that the switch is *normally* the only moving part of the circuit AND therefore the first part to fail/break.

Many cloud chasers do this intentionally with a very low ohm build on a single battery to produce very high amounts of vapor; if they are careful, the situation can be done safely (most competitions actually limit the build being used to stay within safe operating limits of the batteries, make entrants prove their builds and the batteries they are using) and repeatably... even if the batteries get permanently damaged.

With newer regulated devices this practice has become obsolete as the power level can be raised (the limited power of single battery mechanical mods was the main reason for doing this in the first place) eliminating the need to push batteries to the point of failure.

Speaking of mechanical mods, the new style "parallel and series" box mods that are designed to be fully mechanical and have no "over-current protection" still allow for the exact same condition to happen. Many manufacturers are now building in current protection in the form of self-resetting fuses that limit the current draw allowed to reach the atomizer. (See findmyvapes.com for build kits if interested.) Just a quick note, parallel box mods allow for longer battery life and series for higher power... basically.

The point I wanted to make is this, if you are going to rebuild, PLEASE learn to do it safely. It is not that complicated to do, even for an ego battery but doing it wrong will be a very bad day for all of us. There are many online calculators that will give you the amp draw for a stock set of resistances but this only tells you half of the story - you also need to know the amp draw your battery is rated for, just a simple Google search away. If you can't find the rating, stay to the resistance of your most used factory made coils, they have been safe for a long time and there is a reason why they are made to that large of a resistance.

Also, I hate to ever suggest that anyone spend money, but... most batteries we use have somewhere around 1000 charges before they start to lose performance. Meaning they will start to not stay charged as long and MAY not be quite as safe if pushed to their limit.

So yes, Andria... long story short, but if you are just starting, staying around 1.5Ω or above until you are comfortable with the rebuild process and can hit the mark consistently is a very good idea, with any device. Your battery MAY be able to go lower than that, but it only take a fraction of a second for it to go bad in a big way.

Most importantly, know your equipment and practice. Get a resistance meter or multimeter and know how to use it, know your batteries and the devices they are in and what they can handle safely.

Rules are made to be broken, but only once you know what those rules are... and the consequences for breaking them. How serious is it if done wrong? Just Google "Vape Blast" and check out the aftermath of the explosion.

Finally, is rebuilding safe? Absolutely. Can it be done with just a few minutes of training (depending on the device being built)? Yes. When you start trying for the first time, ask a few simple questions and make sure you are safe, it's hard to type congrats on not smoking posts without fingers lol!

Basic rule of thumb, for 28ga kanthal wire, a 1.5Ω coil means using 3 1/4 inches of wire... on any mandrel or screwdriver!

If ANYONE wants more info, please let me know, I'll be happy to get you the info needed to rebuild safely and enjoyably.

Thanks.

/rant

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
To All "You" MOTHER'S (Yes - be it literal or figurative or even virtual) . . .

Happy-Mother-s-Day-mother-s-day-holiday-boy-smiley-emoticon-000436-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread