Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I'm new to building, but I don't see anything "wrong" with pre-made kits/coils, etc. In fact, I think it's genious! Two potential issues might be that it could be more expensive than gathering the items yourself and/or the pre-made coils don't work or are not to your preferences.

Do your homework. For instance, I wanted to try some different gauge wire, but didn't want to buy a 100ft spool, so I researched on-line and called a local B&M. The shop sells different gauge wire for .75 a foot. I ended up with a good deal on a variety pack of 3ft samples from Ebay.

Happy :vapor:

I agree. If you're unsure about rebuilding and don't want to jump in head first, pre-made coils would be a great way to test the waters. As robin says, price and quality would be my only concerns. Start small and work your way up...you'll be rebuilding in no time. ;)

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Wow-wee ShariR,
That was a lot of good information. Thank you so much. One thing I'm looking for is a more consistant draw or hit. Sometimes I get a good one, where the throat hit is good and the cloud is good. That will happen maybe the first 2 or 3 puffs off of my e-cigg, then I barely get any vapor and no throat hitat all. I feel like something is not right. Ok., next topic. Great minds think alike, because when I'm trying really hard not to smoke a reg cigg, I only use tobaco flavored juice. I'm already using 24mg of nic and both of those things help a lot. I don't know what I'm doing wrong so of course I'm going to blame it on the equupment. :) I don't see how those guys on Youtube just keep blowing big 'oL cloud after cloud. I guess I need to find out what a Kayfun is and how it works, so it's back to researching mode I go. ...., (tee-hee) you know I'll be back with questions because the more I learn, the more I find out how little I know.
Truly Yours,
Tiggs

P.S. to All my Peeps
I've seen DIY kits for rebuilding coils that come with the coils already corkscrewed all up and some wicking material. Some of the kits come with other stuff but I forget what now, maybe it was tweezers. Anyways, tell me what's wrong with those, because I know somthing has to be. It couldn't be that easy. Xoxo Tx

Ok, Tiggs. This is going to be a long one and it is just my opinion. The best way to go for a good, flavorful, consistent vape is with a Kayfun (real) or a Kebo Russian 91% (do not get the one with the spring loaded pin - the pin does not work right. Most vendors have upgraded R91 without the spring loaded pin, but you have to specifically ask). The clone Kayfuns are generally good, but do have more problems. EhPro is supposed to be a good clone of the Kayfun Lite+. I have 4 r91 and one EhPro Kayfun. I like my r91 better.

Mt. Baker Vapor has the Kebo R91 for $45, not a bad price. I have seen them a lot cheaper during holiday sales and the end of last year. They do show up used once in a while.

On prebuilt coils. I have never used them. One of the things I find with building coils is that if you do not have a drill bit inside the coil when you mount it, it is very easy to deform the coil. The coil has to have the 2 legs wrapped around tiny screws and once you get one secured the drillbit through the coil helps to keep the shape for when you attach the second leg to the other screw. If the coil gets deformed you will not get a good vape and will need to just throw the little coil out. When you make your own they cost a couple of pennies each. 28ga wire is sturdy but takes a little longer to heat up. 29ga seems to be the current favorite. 30ga is thinner and a bit harder for me to work with. Since I have a whole spool of 28ga that is what I use, I like it better than 30ga. The lower the gauge the thicker the wire and the longer it will take to heat up.

I build my coils on the Artistic Wire Gizmo coil winding tool. You can pick one up for around $10 at Hobby Lobby (check online for a large discount coupon). You can also order it online from them. Ebay and Amazon have them for $10 to $15 and look to see if you can find a model that has 2mm and 2.5mm rods. Those sizes are ideal for building coils. There are several different types. The one I got had 5 rods but only one I am able to use and it is 1.55mm, which is still quite small. I had to find a 2mm rod (at Hobby Lobby) to make a coil with a bigger inside diameter so I could get the KohGenDoh cotton through it. With the Gizmo I can wind a couple of coils in a couple of minutes, leave the rod through the middle and then mount it on the deck of the r91. The mounting is hardest part. The winding is super quick and easy. The Gizmo also lets you apply some tension to the wire so it is a good, tight coil. Makes for a great vape.

SteamEngine.org has a program that I use on my laptop to tell me how many wraps I need to do to get to a specific ohms. You need to know the size of the wire (28ga, 30ga) and the ohms you want (1.5, 2.0) and it will tell you how many wraps to do to get there. I use 28ga wire and aim for between 1.5 and 1.8 ohms. I do not like a hot vape and going lower for me gives too much heat. I use 70pg/30vg eliquid. Anything thicker than 50/50 is going to gunk up your coils too fast in the Kayfun and r91 which means more frequent changing of cotton and dry burning and rewicking. I am lazy. I have found lighter eliquids so I only have to change cotton and dry burn about every 6 days. Some people with darker, sweeter eliquids have to change it out daily. Also, high vg eliquids do not seem to work as well in the Kayfun-Russian. Hard to keep the wick wet, does not flow as well. This is in my opinion since I have only tried 70/30 and 50/50 in my r91s. 70/30 is perfect for me.

I hope this helps you out. PM me if you have more ??? Or post them here. I try to read this thread every day or so. I, too, am dealing with medical stuff and neck (done) and back surgery (something to look forward to soon :):)).

Everyone here has given very good information on this topic. I am just throwing my hat in the ring, adding my 2 cents. By the way, I tried to wrap the wire around a drill bit by hand in the beginning. I could not do it. My hands would not cooperate. Once I got the Gizmo I have only wrapped a couple of coils I could not vape. And that was me mangling them during trying to get the stupid little legs to stay put under the tiny screw. Oh, the tales I could tell.... Once I did a few it got much easier and almost no throw-aways now. I have been building coils for my kf and r91 since March of 2014 and only from what I learned here. Now you can go to a vape shop or vape meet and watch/have them build coils in many of them. Some charge, some do not.

Another note. Get a plyers that will cut up against an edge. I got mine online but Hobby Lobby and Lowes, etc. will have them. Better than twisting wire legs off after mounting. I lost a couple of coils with the twist method and nail clippers did not work great for me.

Last edited:

TxTigger

Sep 23, 2012
Texas, U.S.A.
Ok, Tiggs. This is going to be a long one and it is just my opinion. The best way to go for a good, flavorful, consistent vape is with a Kayfun (real) or a Kebo Russian 91% (do not get the one with the spring loaded pin - the pin does not work right. Most vendors have upgraded R91 without the spring loaded pin, but you have to specifically ask). The clone Kayfuns are generally good, but do have more problems. EhPro is supposed to be a good clone of the Kayfun Lite+. I have 4 r91 and one EhPro Kayfun. I like my r91 better.

Mt. Baker Vapor has the Kebo R91 for $45, not a bad price. I have seen them a lot cheaper during holiday sales and the end of last year. They do show up used once in a while.

On prebuilt coils. I have never used them. One of the things I find with building coils is that if you do not have a drill bit inside the coil when you mount it, it is very easy to deform the coil. The coil has to have the 2 legs wrapped around tiny screws and once you get one secured the drillbit through the coil helps to keep the shape for when you attach the second leg to the other screw. If the coil gets deformed you will not get a good vape and will need to just throw the little coil out. When you make your own they cost a couple of pennies each. 28ga wire is sturdy but takes a little longer to heat up. 29ga seems to be the current favorite. 30ga is thinner and a bit harder for me to work with. Since I have a whole spool of 28ga that is what I use, I like it better than 30ga. The lower the gauge the thicker the wire and the longer it will take to heat up.

I build my coils on the Artistic Wire Gizmo coil winding tool. You can pick one up for around $10 at Hobby Lobby (check online for a large discount coupon). You can also order it online from them. Ebay and Amazon have them for $10 to $15 and look to see if you can find a model that has 2mm and 2.5mm rods. Those sizes are ideal for building coils. There are several different types. The one I got had 5 rods but only one I am able to use and it is 1.55mm, which is still quite small. I had to find a 2mm rod (at Hobby Lobby) to make a coil with a bigger inside diameter so I could get the KohGenDoh cotton through it. With the Gizmo I can wind a couple of coils in a couple of minutes, leave the rod through the middle and then mount it on the deck of the r91. The mounting is hardest part. The winding is super quick and easy. The Gizmo also lets you apply some tension to the wire so it is a good, tight coil. Makes for a great vape.

SteamEngine.org has a program that I use on my laptop to tell me how many wraps I need to do to get to a specific ohms. You need to know the size of the wire (28ga, 30ga) and the ohms you want (1.5, 2.0) and it will tell you how many wraps to do to get there. I use 28ga wire and aim for between 1.5 and 1.8 ohms. I do not like a hot vape and going lower for me gives too much heat. I use 70pg/30vg eliquid. Anything thicker than 50/50 is going to gunk up your coils too fast in the Kayfun and r91 which means more frequent changing of cotton and dry burning and rewicking. I am lazy. I have found lighter eliquids so I only have to change cotton and dry burn about every 6 days. Some people with darker, sweeter eliquids have to change it out daily. Also, high vg eliquids do not seem to work as well in the Kayfun-Russian. Hard to keep the wick wet, does not flow as well. This is in my opinion since I have only tried 70/30 and 50/50 in my r91s. 70/30 is perfect for me.

I hope this helps you out. PM me if you have more ??? Or post them here. I try to read this thread every day or so. I, too, am dealing with medical stuff and neck (done) and back surgery (something to look forward to soon :):)).

Everyone here has given very good information on this topic. I am just throwing my hat in the ring, adding my 2 cents. By the way, I tried to wrap the wire around a drill bit by hand in the beginning. I could not do it. My hands would not cooperate. Once I got the Gizmo I have only wrapped a couple of coils I could not vape. And that was me mangling them during trying to get the stupid little legs to stay put under the tiny screw. Oh, the tales I could tell.... Once I did a few it got much easier and almost no throw-aways now. I have been building coils for my kf and r91 since March of 2014 and only from what I learned here. Now you can go to a vape shop or vape meet and watch/have them build coils in many of them. Some charge, some do not.

Another note. Get a plyers that will cut up against an edge. I got mine online but Hobby Lobby and Lowes, etc. will have them. Better than twisting wire legs off after mounting. I lost a couple of coils with the twist method and nail clippers did not work great for me.

Well ShariR,
You are quite a fountain of knowledge. Thanks again. Unfortunately my plans to expand my e-cigg equipment has to be put on hold for a little while. My best friend, my 13 year old black lab, need to have a couple of tumors removed from his legs on Monday and that's going to set me back about $350. I don't care, I'd sell my self on Bourbon Street in New Orleans if I had to to make sure he got that surgery. I just hope it's not cancer. :( I know he's old. I've had him since he was 3 weeks old. I'm just not ready to let him go. He doesn't act sick or anything. I mean he has arthritis which makes getting up of the floor from laying down a little harder than it used to be, but he still wants to play fetch when I play with the other dogs. Oh well, I don't mean to go on and on, beside I'll get myself upset and start crying again thinking he's got cancer. But it should only take me a month or two to pay my dad back for the money he's lending me for the surgery, then I can get something new. So on the bright side, that gives me plenty of time to thoroughly research my options. Right?
Sincerely,
Tiggs
p.s.
I haven't had time to think up any questions but I'm sure I'll have plenty once I start looking up all the things you've already told me about. I really appreciate your patience. :)

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Just An FYI: I thought I would pop-in to say . . .

Okay, it may be a day early, However - be "YOU" . .

Male/Female, Biological/Adoptive, Birth/Step, Young/Old,

Pop/Dad/Daddy/Father/Grand Father/POP-POP,

Older Brother/Sister, Big Brother/Sister, or

Just a really Good Friend who has acted as the Father to a . . .

Young Person - WHO REALLY NEEDED A DAD & FATHER . . .

AND - Provide that . . .

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE" . . .

To Each and Every One Of YOU . . .

animated-fathers-card.gif

best20smiley.gif

bravo.gif

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'm always around, and this is one of my "watched" threads... but "real life" has been terribly insistent lately. But I gotta mix some more strawberry & cream today for sure, and try out a new strawberry flavor, Capella's Sweet Strawberry, to see if I like it in my mix as well I like the Inawera Shisha Strawberry.

Andria

Topdogie01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States
Im around, just been studying like crazy. Trying to budget $500 by the last week of July to take my tech certification exams. Once I have them I can start my college degree.

Thaya, when do people ever think we are NOT a little weird?

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I am here but not every day. It is kinda sad to see this thread is not as active as it once was. Maybe that means less people are having trouble with dual use. Most of the people I see in the New Members forum are asking about sub ohm and new equipment that I have never used so I get less chances to refer people here.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I seems the vast majority of the new members are already into sub ohm, super sub ohm and mechs. Quite a difference from how it was just a short time ago. :ohmy:

I know. I was thinking I was quite the experienced vaper, me with my Provari and Russians and Kayfun and all that building coils stuff. Huh. I vape between 7 and 10 watts usually and when I build a 1ohm coil and try to vape nearer to 15+ watts my juice always tastes too hot and burnt. So back down the watts go and back to my lowly sweet spot.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I know. I was thinking I was quite the experienced vaper, me with my Provari and Russians and Kayfun and all that building coils stuff. Huh. I vape between 7 and 10 watts usually and when I build a 1ohm coil and try to vape nearer to 15+ watts my juice always tastes too hot and burnt. So back down the watts go and back to my lowly sweet spot.

I had pretty well settled in at 10w with all my kayfuns and my magma, but with new Achilles RDAs, I find 9w more than adequate -- it's because of the airflow, because the Achilles is such a tight draw. Probably the same if you turn up your watts or decrease the ohms and don't also increase the airflow.

I also mixed my strawberry & cream last time at 9mg instead of 10mg, and 85% PG instead of 84%, and it seems to have helped my cough quite a bit. And the inexplicable laryngitis as well; I had pretty well figured out that it must be VG causing that, because I always seemed to have congestion around my vocal cords; clear my throat and the hoarseness would vanish. It seems better now.

Andria

Reactions: ShariR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread