Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
@Foggy Road Way to go! I think you hit a milestone when you forget how long it's been since you've smoked. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. It kinda snuck up on me I guess. Of course hanging out here talking and thinking about it certainly had a positive effect.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
That is a milestone! I am acutely aware of every cigarette I have had during the day. My one cigarette every two hours routine is still working, but sometimes those two hours feel like eight lol. But I am now seeing that it is primarily psychological. I am getting plenty of nic via vaping. So, that's not it. A couple of times I have had to go more than two hours, but then I just think, I can have two cigarettes closer together.

I have been smoking for about 48 years - I guess it is no surprise that cutting down with the goal of quitting is not a walk on the beach.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
It's definitely not a walk on the beach. It's a very difficult thing to do. Nic isn't the only thing in cigarettes we're addicted to. They put so many additives in cigarettes to keep people smoking it makes it very hard to quit. It's said that there are even chemicals that act as antidepressants and things that have a pleasurable effect on smokers to keep us hooked.

You're doing fine, @tgs3 Keep doing what you're doing and you'll eventually get to a point where you can space out your smokes even longer. :thumbs:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I have been smoking for about 48 years - I guess it is no surprise that cutting down with the goal of quitting is not a walk on the beach.

No it certainly isn't! 45 years for me up to my first quit. That lasted 3 months and was a constant fight. Maybe I just ran outta fight but ended up adding almost 2 more years. Whatever happens don't give up on vape. It will push the other stuff outta yer life no matter how long it takes.
I think the clincher came the last couple days when I'd think about my vape doesn't satisfy. Then look toward my tobacco and think "but that carp doesn't satisfy either". If it satisfied anything why did we light one after another after another after another for DECADES!!! Satisfying is just a marketing word that's been ingrained in us forever.
The only thing tobacco satisfies is BT and Big Goobermints wallets. So if I gotta choose between methods that will never satisfy, just feed the addiction, I'm glad I stuck with the least harmful until it got set in. And I do really feel like it's set in this time cuz there's no temptation left from the other.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Well said, Foggy. I smoked for 42 years and ended up smoking nearly 4 packs a day. I tried to quit quite a few times. Wellbutrin made me shaky and weepy. Acupuncture didn't work at all. Group class only lasted about a week. Hypnotism worked the best...1 month. I even tried vaping 3 separate times over the course of 4 or 5 years. This was my 3rd try and it finally worked. The moral of the story is don't give up. Just keep vaping and you never know when it will click for you. :vapor:

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    Well kind of a good/bad sort of day for me.
    First the good. I knew I had an exceptionally stressful morning ahead of me when I got up, in fact I was already stressing when I went to bed last night. Nevertheless, I made it almost 2 hours before I couldn't fight the urge to smoke anymore. So I DID succeed in skipping (or delaying anyway) that first thing in the morning smoke.

The bad? Once I gave in, I smoked like a chimney until I got to and past the stressful situation. Smoked way too many in that couple of hours.

Oh well, today ain't over, I'll just focus on trying to pass some of my other triggers and see what happens. And tomorrow is another day.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well kind of a good/bad sort of day for me.
    First the good. I knew I had an exceptionally stressful morning ahead of me when I got up, in fact I was already stressing when I went to bed last night.

I hear you about the stress. I have had a few stressful times recently and the first impulse is to smoke. I just keep telling myself that smoking will not relieve the stress - cause it won't. Mornings are also hard. I have been following a one cigarette every two hours with one exception - I allow myself two and sometimes three with my coffee in the morning. Doing that has allowed me to stick to 9/10 cigs a day. It is hard, but vaping makes it bearable.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Hey @Sir Kadly I saw in another thread that you were changing your name. Cool! :) Hope the stressful situation worked out for ya. Yup, always a new day coming, hang in!

@tgs3 yeah mornings are tough keep working at 'em.

I live a stressful life 24/7/365. You really can't imagine. But I've replaced the urge to smoke with the urge to KILL! Can't follow thru with that one.... I hope. Just kiddin I think? :mad::-x:shock::evil::evil::oops::rolleyes:

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    @Sir Kadly Don't beat yourself up after a slipup. Just try to put it behind you and start over. You're right, tomorrow is another day. :)

@Foggy Road It's great that you've found a replacement for your urge to smoke! It's definitely a unique approach.:?:

@tgs3 Morning urges are often the worst ones. Those are the ones to work on, either to try to cut back on or use as a reward for cutting back somewhere else. Keep working at it, it'll fall into place. :vapor:

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

[USER=314015]@tgs3
    Morning urges are often the worst ones. Those are the ones to work on, either to try to cut back on or use as a reward for cutting back somewhere else. Keep working at it, i:vapor:t'll fall into place. [/USER]

I am actually thinking of trying to go cigarette free in the evenings, when I am back from work. I have to get a better device. But that is a different issue.

I have been pretty much sticking to my half-pack regime and it is working.[/user]

Last edited:

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey @Sir Kadly

I live a stressful life 24/7/365. You really can't imagine. But I've replaced the urge to smoke with the urge to KILL! Can't follow thru with that one.... I hope. Just kiddin I think? :mad::-x:shock::oops::rolleyes:

Foggy, no, don't follow through, though I understand the urge. There are a lot of people who need killing where I work, but hopefully vaping will help me resist the urge! lol!

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 14, 2010
    pa
    Imo it's better to "smoke like a chimney" and get it out of your system. Once that ship sails may as well go first class. Then shake it off and try again.
    Don't stress the ones you smoke - count the ones you don't. I'm ok with 10-12 a day - down from 35 years of 2-3 packs a day. You're only a failure when you stop trying. Until then you're a fighter.

medleypat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Frankfort Indiana
    Good job foggy. Half I found this thread really having a rough time quitting getting mad at myself for still smoking. Went over two weeks without a cig now back up to a half a pack a day. Know I don't need the cigs but my mind says yes you do. Not sure what's going on vape doesn't seem to be as satisfying as it once was. Guess I'm just on s weird place a lot of times I take a few puffs and think I really don't want this cig but shortly after I will light it back up but will keep working on it just glad I found some people that are struggling just like me.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    Guess I'm just on s weird place a lot of times I take a few puffs and think I really don't want this cig but shortly after I will light it back up but will keep working on it just glad I found some people that are struggling just like me.
    You know, it's weird, but there are times when I will light a cigarette and right from the first puff I think it tastes awful and I can't think of a good reason to actually smoke it. At those times it's easy to put ti out and vape. Other times I actually enjoy smoking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread