Still smoking support and chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medea

Sep 21, 2017
I lurked on this thread for a long time, like 2013 long time, lol. It helped me to accept myself as a smoker, and why I was and still am reluctant to give up that title. It's an identifier and it's really scary to let it go. I decided not to. So far, it's working for me. I am not smoking, but I won't/don't want to say how long etc, because I might just choose to have one tomorrow. And that's okay. I'm still doing better thanks to vaping :D

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hi, everyone! It's been a while since I've been here but I'm still around. I'm having much trouble typing with my carpal tunnel wrist braces on both hands. It's even harder to be a touch typist when all your fingers are numb and you can't feel the keys. It has taken me the better part of 5 minutes just to type this much with more backspacing than forward typing. :grr:

@Medea, that's a loooong time lurking! You must remember how busy this thread used to be back in the day. By the time you were able to type out a post you had 5 new ones to read! Many of the old posters quit smoking and eventually moved on, then it gradually slowed to a stop. I'm glad you reached a place you're comfortable with. That's really what this thread is about...reaching your goal, whether that's to quit completely or to cut down and remain a dual user. Those last ones surely are the hardest to let go.

@KC0YNU, @tgs3, @B-Dang, @JJ1977, how about an update? @Foggy Road, are you still with us? We miss you.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Thayamax, good to hear from you. I had a huge upheaval in my personal life and fell off the wagon for almost two weeks. Back to 20-25 analogs a day. Four days ago, I decided I needed to get back on track. Prior to the disaster, I was down to 7 a day and was considering which cig (I have a cig schedule) to drop next. I have begun to turn it around. I have averaged 11 for the last four days. I know how to get back to where I was and will do so.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Medea, I think that is the best way to go psychologically speaking. In my case, I have learned that once you tell people you have quit or are in the process of quitting expectations get raised and problems ensue. I think I will be a dual user for months or longer. My goal is to get back to where I was before I fell off the wagon a couple of weeks ago - less than ten a day. After that, I will shoot for five or less a day. After that ... who knows. There has got to be at least some benefit in smoking less, a lot less.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
There has got to be at least some benefit in smoking less, a lot less.

I would say there is definitely a huge benefit in smoking less. Even if one ends up as a dual user, it has to better health-wise to smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes a day as opposed to 1 to 2 packs a day or more.

am still dual using, have found in times of stress i revert to the analogs quickly.

now knowing/realizing this will be watching for the "trigger" so I can make changes.

Smoking definitely has triggers and they can be different for everyone. It's amazing how something that's a stimulant can calm you down when you're angry or frustrated. Telephone rings, grab a smoke...start the car, grab a smoke...eat a meal, grab a smoke. The list is endless. Realizing your own triggers can help you avoid them or learn to deal with them in different ways.

Whether one cuts down or quits completely, reaching your own personal goal is what's most important.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
@B-Dang Congrats on 28 days cig free! That's a great start. It's so important to have support when you try to quit smoking, and everyone here understands what you're going through. Once you find equipment that suits your needs and juice you love, it makes the battle a lot easier. Keep up the good work! :cool:

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Today, i smoked six. Could have smoked less. WTA iiquids have been a help.

Congrats, @tgs3! It sounds like those WTA liquids are really helping you out. I never tried them, but I've heard that they've helped a lot of people who struggled to quit.

Reactions: loxmythe

Medea

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks for the welcome, guys, and Thaya, yes, I read hundreds of pages, lol. There were more than 800 total, I read at least 500. It helped me. Vaping was different then and we've moved on, but the reluctance to redefine, that is hard. Only we can truly understand that (I say). I haven't had a cigarette in a few months, btw, but I don't know when was my last, nor do I know when will be my next. It helps that I have a supportive and easy going partner, I know if I tell him I want cigarettes he'll be all : okay, how many? For right now, I'm okay just vaping and I feel so much more free. :)

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I have averaged 6 per day for the last week. Had 4 cigarettes today (that's a new record). That's the good news.

Now, what maybe bad news: my last cigarette today at 6:15pm was the best one I have had in a long time. American Spirit black. I thought cigarettes would become more and more disgusting (at least that is what others have reported). To be honest, dual using, when I am under 5 per day is something I can accept for the next few months.

Now that I have found some juices that I really like, I am finding cutting down much easier.

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
I have averaged 6 per day for the last week. Had 4 cigarettes today (that's a new record). That's the good news.

Now, what maybe bad news: my last cigarette today at 6:15pm was the best one I have had in a long time. American Spirit black. I thought cigarettes would become more and more disgusting (at least that is what others have reported). To be honest, dual using, when I am under 5 per day is something I can accept for the next few months.

Now that I have found some juices that I really like, I am finding cutting down much easier.

And there lies the problem that hinders some of us from quitting completely. Cigs don’t taste like crap to all ex smokers who switch to vaping. Like tgs, I still like the taste and smell of a cig. I dual used for almost 2 1/2 months. Kept telling myself it was fine to dual use because I had gotten down to 1 cig with morning coffee. I’d quit when it felt right. Then I read a post by Coastal Cowboy that for some people to stop completely, they must get rid of the cigs completely, throw them away or don’t buy more. That’s what I did on 9/15. I believe Foggy had to throw his out the window to get to 0.

TGS, you are doing great, and it is fine to dual use for as long as you want. Any reduction is a victory. Just be aware that for some of us, to go to 0, it took physically removing them from easy access.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Averaged less than five cigarettes per day for the last seven days. Today, four. Smoking cigarettes is now a choice for me. Never thought I would say that since it never felt like a choice - at least not for many years. I am really grateful that I joined this community and began vaping.

I have also decided to start reducing the nic level of the juice I am using. I have a lot of 2.4 on hand, but have been enjoying some some liquid from blacknote at 1.8. Each time I reorder, I will do so at the 1.8 level. Baby steps!

Last edited:

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Averaged less than five cigarettes per day for the last seven days. Today, four. Smoking cigarettes is now a choice for me. Never thought I would say that since it never felt like a choice - at least not for many years. I am really grateful that I joined this community and began vaping.

I have also decided to start reducing the nic level of the juice I am using. I have a lot of 2.4 on hand, but have been enjoying some some liquid from blacknote at 1.8. Each time I reorder, I will do so at the 1.8 level. Baby steps!
Don’t go too low too fast. I went from 12 to 6 quickly. Then quickly went to 3. Mistake. Went back up to 6 and stayed there. May be easier if you up the nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread