STOP THROWING AWAY YOUR BURNT/OLD COILS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
No, I didn't see it. Maybe I should?

I can also clean fish, but I don't have a boat and motor. LOL But my hubs loves my cookin'!
You can google it to get an idea of what it's about.

The boat and motor is not a deal breaker. The hubs is. :lol:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
those who know me on here, know i build my own coils...

i have recurrent dislocation and subluxation of my left shoulder, a fused neck, for over 2 1/2 years torn out medial tendons on my left elbow, raynauds... these combined means i also have nerve pain/damage and no longer have the full use of my left hand as well as a palsy in it... it's also painful to grip anything. as others have said, it is possible to rebuild even when disabled, it's a choice. i build on good days, bad days i use a factory coil if needed and i see no shame in either. this solution wouldn't work for me at least... since the coils i toss are fried coils only, but for those on a lean budget.. hey if it keeps them off the smokes it's all good. i'm a strong believer that people should learn how to rebuild, not to keep the american FDA away, but for learning more about their vaping and how it works. you can encourage them, but you cannot force them... if we could my hubby would be rebuilding his own coils lmao!
Exactly! I have 1 1/2 hands because Duprodens contracture.

I can wrap enough coils to last a year in just a few minutes.

It takes me 5 minutes to install Coil, Dry burn coil, and wick. After 5 minutes i'm vaping.

About every two weeks take two minutes to remove wick, Dry burn coil, install new wick and im vaping.

I repeat rebuilding is not that hard and 90+ % can do it. Its neither rocket science or brain surgery.

Adan

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2016
USA
both, i hope to add some more videos to help you guys out. Obviously here there are highly educated vapers and beginners im more here help newer people because i made many mistakes and first mistake was mis taking care of my coils. and after throwing them away instead of method i explained above. now i take very good care of them and no longer need new coils or to clean them for months!

Right on!
Might want to check if there are any rules that apply here.
And please keep the channel workplace friendly.
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: motordude

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
I failed to mention that I'm 63 years old and my eyesight is poor. I've been hearing the panic noise about our devices being BANNED for just about as long as I've been vaping, and am not buying it. But, just in case it does happen I'll have a couple of choices: Quit vaping (easier than quitting cigarettes), or learn to make coils in spite of my limitations. Chances are excellent, I will never have to do either.

I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight, but if posible don't miss the chance to build your coils. I mostly use a Kayfun 5 and it is very easy to build and the flavor has no comparison, even when I compare it with the Kabuki which is also one of my favorites!

If you find the K5 too expensive, there are clones that work as well

Just get a coil jig, a tab 521 and some coil tools set and you are set!

You may think I'm foolish but I also find coil building a little therapeutic so I don't regret the time spent . I find myself changing coils just for the pleasure even though they still work

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Told this story many times ... but it's the only one I've got.

When I started vaping (2010) the FDA was involved in a lawsuit, customs was seizing shipments, and the end of vaping was looming over our heads. So in order to be sure that I would be able to continue to vape, I thought it prudent to at least learn how to become "self reliant". That meant learning how to make my own liquids, and learning how to make my own mods & atomizers. (takes me about 3 minutes to turn a coax cable connector into a working atomizer)

So IMO learning to rebuild isn't about saving money (even tho' it does) or being easier (even tho' it is), it's all about CYA for when vaping products become a thing of the past.

add:
    I failed to mention that I'm 63 years old and my eyesight is poor.

Oh, did I fail to mention that I'll be 76 in a couple of months, have poor eyesight, and have had more surgeries on my right hand than I can count?!?

Last edited:

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2016
    both, i hope to add some more videos to help you guys out. Obviously here there are highly educated vapers and beginners im more here help newer people because i made many mistakes and first mistake was mis taking care of my coils. and after throwing them away instead of method i explained above. now i take very good care of them and no longer need new coils or to clean them for months!

Besides all this coil building discussion, I do thank you for the tip about cleaning factory coils. I'll try it as it will be a good way to still use the Kabuki if coils are no longer available

Have you tried putting the used coils in vodka for the night?

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2016
    Not trying to shame you of anyone

I'm trying to encourage people to build so they can have Freedom in their vaping.

I can't stand Trump, and last year i encouraged people to vote against him because i considered him dangerous to the country. I voted 3rd party myself.

I don't like him either! Don't wonder why, I'm Mexican !

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Good afternoon, I've been vaping for around a year to a year and a half. And ill tell you what. I've been through 15 coils. I would say once a month i would have to purchase a $5-$10 coil from the shop. In otherwords i paid $75-150 a year for coils. If you do this, you stopped at the right place. I will now explain how i dont replace my coils for up to 6 months of using them.

Firstly take care of your coils, Always vape at recommended wattage. and always have a full to 3/4 of a tank. Never try to hotbox the .... out of something. (Hitting in 20 times in a minute isnt really good for the coil it gets kinda dry and burnt)

i can go all day on how to take care of coils. Trust me i learned a lot.

Now you happen to f*** up your coil before seeing this thread... now what? go buy a $10 coil. NOPE!

I'll explain how to fix the burnt taste from your ecig/coil and how to fix that!

Firstly take out the coil, now grab a small container and put just enough water for your coil to go into. Now heat the water in microwave (you can also use a pan). carefully take the container of hot water and simply drop your sub omh coil into the water and dump water and put cold water in it to cool down the coil. pick up the coil and spray it out a lot of burnt .... and ejuice should fall out. Now if that doesnt happen kept repeating til it does

Hi Blake and welcome to ECF :)

Good advice, I'm sure it's going to help someone who is inclined to give it a try :thumb:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Seriously way more expensive, way more work than just building a new coil.. Cents (not pennies because i am not British) You want to save money/time BOTH Build your own coil!!!

I agree NU_FTW .. but rebuilding isn't for everyone. I've found it's rare for beginners to get into it real early, some people just don't want to do it for whatever reason, some prefer to spend the money on heads in exchange for the convenience of just screwing in a new one and vaping. Heck, vaping itself isn't a good solution for everyone.

Whatever works is all good as long as we're not smoking
    good2.gif

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I'm creeping up there in age, can't see for :censored: (donor cornea in one eye and can't see out of the other), deal with arthritis and essential tremors, and a wrist reconstruction/partial fusion years ago. I laughed at those saying anybody could build if they just tried cause they just couldn't imagine how difficult that would be for somebody like me.

But with deeming regs looming, I gave it a shot. I found out I could manage it (although wicking is my toughest challenge), so picked up a couple drippers and 5 RTA's, mostly to see what would be easier to build on. Now I can successfully build on all of them. But it is a very time consuming process and even impossible some days. It is comforting to know I can get by should I be forced to.

But for now, I am far happier screwing in a new coil when needed and enjoying my vapes.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    yep good days and bad days for some of us... but it is a handy skill for those who want it... i currently build the coils for myself, my hubby, and two friends, as none of them have the time or want to build... but as long as we're not smoking as much or not at all, it's all good.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm creeping up there in age, can't see for :censored: (donor cornea in one eye and can't see out of the other), deal with arthritis and essential tremors, and a wrist reconstruction/partial fusion years ago. I laughed at those saying anybody could build if they just tried cause they just couldn't imagine how difficult that would be for somebody like me.

But with deeming regs looming, I gave it a shot. I found out I could manage it (although wicking is my toughest challenge), so picked up a couple drippers and 5 RTA's, mostly to see what would be easier to build on. Now I can successfully build on all of them. But it is a very time consuming process and even impossible some days. It is comforting to know I can get by should I be forced to.

But for now, I am far happier screwing in a new coil when needed and enjoying my vapes.

Point being:
    You "at least learned how".

On a good day, I'll wrap a dozen coils .... so that I won't have to on a bad day.

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I failed to mention that I'm 63 years old and my eyesight is poor. I've been hearing the panic noise about our devices being BANNED for just about as long as I've been vaping, and am not buying it. But, just in case it does happen I'll have a couple of choices: Quit vaping (easier than quitting cigarettes), or learn to make coils in spite of my limitations. Chances are excellent, I will never have to do either.

I'm right behind you in age and my sight sucks, get a jewelers head loop, I couldn't build without one. Get one with a built in light and you're good to go. Building is actually very easy all it takes is a tiny bit of practice and you're off and running. The cost saving, options, freedom and being secure in knowing you're not depending on outside factors is wonderful

Its a synthetic fiber.

But it is better for three reasons.

1. Better flavor
    2. Longer life. Some have vaped 100 ml of Juice on a single wick. With cotton i got about 2 days of vaping 6-7 mls. With Rayon i get 50-60 mls on a single wick.
    3. Rayon wicks way better than cotton

^^^ This
    Except I've messed about with Rayon and just don't like it at all, love my Koh gen Do. But that's what's wonderful about building your own, you can tailor it to your own tastes ;)

Lol, I think the rebuilders are jealous. This guy nukes a half cup of water once a month instead of rewicking and dry burning constantly. He's happy. Why change his happiness?
    Nope, back before I started building and tried this and various other ways to clean factory coils, it's a lesson in futility. Bottom line is this, cotton breaks down, degrades and it's just a lot easier to just replace the cotton instead of attempting to clean cotton that is breaking down. When I was on factory coils I averaged about a week, maybe week and a 1/2 before having to replace. Now I can go months on a coil and only have to change the cotton just under a week. Not to mention for fractions of a penny on the cost of a factory coil, not to mention much better flavor and options ;)

Simple brother.

If the FDA deeming regulations are allowed to stand premade coils are going to go bye bye.

If he learned to build and DIY he would make those useless Bureaucrats irrelevant.

I didn't want to build either but sure glad i did. Wouldnt go back to premade coil heads if they were free.
    ^^^ This

I was thinking about building my own. The learning curve doesn't seem that big of a deal but At the Smok sight it says " all coils need to be tested before use". Now I watched a guy in my favorite vape shop make a coil, install it, prime it, and he gave me a hit to try new juice. He bent, squeezed, adjust the coil with tweezers , heated and repeated several times before we tasted anything. Not that any of that was a big deal I was mostly wondering if I need testing equipment to follow the advice of Smok ?
    Ohm Meter, you can get a top quality Ohm Meter for under $20
    Exactly! I have 1 1/2 hands because Duprodens contracture.

I can wrap enough coils to last a year in just a few minutes.

It takes me 5 minutes to install Coil, Dry burn coil, and wick. After 5 minutes i'm vaping.

About every two weeks take two minutes to remove wick, Dry burn coil, install new wick and im vaping.

I repeat rebuilding is not that hard and 90+ % can do it. Its neither rocket science or brain surgery.
    Yep and I also spin my own fused clapton wire, I can spin up enough for two coils in 5 min's, 10 min's to wrap, install and wick.

When I get in the mood I sometimes take a few hours and spin wire and wrap a bunch of coils. I end up giving them away. For me it's kind of a Zen moment, my way of getting my mind off the BS and kinda puts everything back on track. Then to think I once thought building would be too much hassle, well the FDA and Government changed all of that. I should send a letter to the FDA for pushing me into a rewarding and satisfying hobby ;)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Its a synthetic fiber.

But it is better for three reasons.

1. Better flavor

Actually it's wood fiber, not synthetic :)

In my experience Rayon changes the flavor profile slightly, but it's fairly minor with the flavors I use. There are also flavor differences from different atties to contend with. Sometimes I like the change and sometimes not. It's also much easier for me to make a small change in my juice recipe than to try to correct flavor with hardware.

2. Longer life. Some have vaped 100 ml of Juice on a single wick. With cotton i got about 2 days of vaping 6-7 mls. With Rayon i get 50-60 mls on a single wick.

I've never experienced a noticeable improvement over cotton and have not heard about it from many people.

3. Rayon wicks way better than cotton

It does wick a bit faster, but good cotton is no slouch too. In the end all that matters is the wick is fast enough to keep the coil properly wet. And having the coil too wet also affects flavor and overall performance.

I go back and forth between them both depending on the build and my preference that day. With 31 gauge Kanthal I always use cotton just because the wire is so weak and you need to get less cotton in a coil than Rayon. With 24 gauge I almost always use Rayon ... have to make a dent in that 500' box somehow
    facepalm.gif
    . Once you get both of these wicking materials figured out they are both very, very good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread