STOP THROWING AWAY YOUR BURNT/OLD COILS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
lmao i have the boat, the motor, know how to catch and clean the fish... i just happen to be allergic to fish, never going to stop me fishing! just like with vaping.
I'm not allergic to fish. Don't like the bones. Happy to catch and release or catch and give to a friend.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Actually it's wood fiber, not synthetic :)

In my experience Rayon changes the flavor profile slightly, but it's fairly minor with the flavors I use. There are also flavor differences from different atties to contend with. Sometimes I like the change and sometimes not. It's also much easier for me to make a small change in my juice recipe than to try to correct flavor with hardware.

I've never experienced a noticeable improvement over cotton and have not heard about it from many people.

It does wick a bit faster, but good cotton is no slouch too. In the end all that matters is the wick is fast enough to keep the coil properly wet. And having the coil too wet also affects flavor and overall performance.

I go back and forth between them both depending on the build and my preference that day. With 31 gauge Kanthal I always use cotton just because the wire is so weak and you need to get less cotton in a coil than Rayon. With 24 gauge I almost always use Rayon ... have to make a dent in that 500' box somehow
facepalm.gif
. Once you get both of these wicking materials figured out they are both very, very good.
With cotton ibwas wicking every two days.
With Rayon i wick every 10-14 days.

Reactions: Ryedan

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
I'll try rayon as soon I can get it. Good thing about vaping is the endless possibilities and the chance to experiment and tailor your vape

The wife thinks I'm getting to involved in this but she loves the fact that her hubby does not stink anymore, is healthier and my snoring has faded . Just in 6 months

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
BTW, for anyone who is a bit vision impaired like me I've found the Optivisor headband magnifier is a fantastic investment for any activity that requires good sight. With a light like this example it's superb :cool:. My first headband mag was a cheap one from Ebay and fell apart in a couple of months. The Optivisor has been a workhorse for me and after a few years is still like new.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
With cotton ibwas wicking every two days.
With Rayon i wick every 10-14 days.
i don't DiY, i think my hubby is scared enough by all the building stuff and just doesn't want the DiY stuff... anyhow, most of my juice does have a lot of sweeteners, since i rebuild it's a non-issue and i just rinse my cotton and dry it if i feel like it or rewick if i feel it's a better option. it doesn't have to be an endurance race to use cotton or rayon, or whatever use someone might want to use. the only reason it should be an issue for value is when it comes to factory coils and how long they may last. if someone can afford to replace their coils when needed and they want to, good for them, if they are trying to clean the coils because they can't good for them as well. just like there is different vape styles, there are different ways to deal with the coils and no one should feel discouraged.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    i don't DiY

Strange things happen when you start to DIY. You will loose interest in visiting so many web sites & vape shops. All of a sudden there will be extra cash for going out for diner more often. And, you will gain interest in new furniture for the family room. ;)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    So is good ole silica string. ;) A good silica wick lasts months instead of just days.

Yup, I used to torch mine (carefully) right on the atty. Makes a dry burn really quick and easy :). OTOH, I was never really happy with the flavor it gave me.

SS mesh is great too and talk about clean flavor, but dealing with the shorts is a pain.

At least we have alternatives, almost anyone can find something that works for them :)

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    Strange things happen when you start to DIY. You will loose interest in visiting so many web sites & vape shops. All of a sudden there will be extra cash for going out for diner more often. And, you will gain interest in new furniture for the family room. ;)
    oh i know, but hubby doesn't want to get into it, so i don't... and as long as he's willing to buy the juice, i'm happy enough with the building... for now.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
    Dec 6, 2016
    Hell yea, it helps treat the symptoms of shinyitis

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    i don't DiY, i think my hubby is scared enough by all the building stuff and just doesn't want the DiY stuff... anyhow, most of my juice does have a lot of sweeteners, since i rebuild it's a non-issue and i just rinse my cotton and dry it if i feel like it or rewick if i feel it's a better option. it doesn't have to be an endurance race to use cotton or rayon, or whatever use someone might want to use. the only reason it should be an issue for value is when it comes to factory coils and how long they may last. if someone can afford to replace their coils when needed and they want to, good for them, if they are trying to clean the coils because they can't good for them as well. just like there is different vape styles, there are different ways to deal with the coils and no one should feel discouraged.
    I know. But if tge deeming regulations are allowed to stand those coils and 99% of all vape gear will be gone and a LOT of people will be forced back on the stinkies.

These people have 19 months to get their act together and learn to build and DIY juice.

That wibdow us closing FAST. SOME States are making it cost prohibitive to get supplies to DIY.

Folks if vaping is important to you abd you want to stay off analogs. Not politically correct but get off your .... and get it in gear.

I didn't want to build and DIY either but i did abd i'm glad i did. Now i don't give a ____ what those useless Bureaucrats do. I will continue to vape and not one _____ing stinkie will cross my lips!

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    One point I think deserves a mention. While lots of tanks that use factory coils either have RBAs available or tutorials in rebuilding the factory ones, it's a lot easier to build on a tank designed for it. With a nice, large Velocity style deck, or really whatever style, mounting and wicking is WAY easier than needing a jeweler's loop and a micro coil to jamb in a little metal pod thingy. Everything about building is easier on tanks already designed for that, and not an afterthought.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    One point I think deserves a mention. While lots of tanks that use factory coils either have RBAs available or tutorials in rebuilding the factory ones, it's a lot easier to build on a tank designed for it. With a nice, large Velocity style deck, or really whatever style, mounting and wicking is WAY easier than needing a jeweler's loop and a micro coil to jamb in a little metal pod thingy. Everything about building is easier on tanks already designed for that, and not an afterthought.
    If Someone us new to building i HIGHLY RECOMMEND A BUILD DECK WITH POST HOLES. Much easier than trapping leads under screw heads.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread