Store Bought E-Liquid vs DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz Beard

Dec 13, 2016
I've been vaping for about four years now. For the first two years, I purchased store bought e-liquids. I had a frequent problem with my coils burning out. No matter how hard I tried, it seemed that I would burn coils on a regular basis (at least once or twice per week.) It got to the point that it was so annoying that I almost gave up and went back to smoking real cigs. But then I began buying DIY materials and mixing my own juice. Guess what? I rarely burn out coils anymore. Seriously, when I am vaping my own DIY juice, I only burn a coil about once per month. I've actually had coils last for over two months. Recently I was away from home and I ran out of juice, so I bought a bottle of premium liquid from a vape shop. Guess what? I burned my coil in less than an hour! I have no idea why this happens? Perhaps the store bought liquids are generally mixed too thick to quickly absorb into the cotton in the coils? I'm not sure, but it is definitely a real phenomenon for me. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It seems that vv/vw or temp control doesn't make a difference. Store bought juices burn my coils.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Most likely more sweeteners in the store bought juice, IMO.

^^^ yeah, that... I have to dry burn my coils every other day if I want to keep enjoying my favorite store bought juice. It's a real pain and although I do DIY my own juice, I haven't mixed a good ADV yet.

Depends on the flavors. I don't use sweeteners in my DIY, but I do have a recipe or two that are definite coil gunkers and will kill a coil in no time flat.

Wiz Beard

Dec 13, 2016
Some of my DIY juices are super sweet, but they still don't ruin my coils at nearly the same rate as store bought juices. But I don't add sweeteners either. Some of the flavorings that I use are already sweet as heck. Right now I'm experimenting with non-sweet flavors. I'd really like to come up with a woody tobacco flavor with a certain amount of creaminess on the finish, but trying to avoid getting the typical bitterness of many tobacco flavors without covering it up with sweetness.

Reactions: David Wolf

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been vaping for about four years now. For the first two years, I purchased store bought e-liquids. I had a frequent problem with my coils burning out. No matter how hard I tried, it seemed that I would burn coils on a regular basis (at least once or twice per week.) It got to the point that it was so annoying that I almost gave up and went back to smoking real cigs. But then I began buying DIY materials and mixing my own juice. Guess what? I rarely burn out coils anymore. Seriously, when I am vaping my own DIY juice, I only burn a coil about once per month. I've actually had coils last for over two months. Recently I was away from home and I ran out of juice, so I bought a bottle of premium liquid from a vape shop. Guess what? I burned my coil in less than an hour! I have no idea why this happens? Perhaps the store bought liquids are generally mixed too thick to quickly absorb into the cotton in the coils? I'm not sure, but it is definitely a real phenomenon for me. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It seems that vv/vw or temp control doesn't make a difference. Store bought juices burn my coils.

Can't speak for Any/All retail e-Liquids.

But I do know that if I take an el-Cheapo Nicotine Base that Tastes Bitter and Peppery, I can smooth it out by Adding a Sweetener like Sucralose. Then, to make a Sweet e-Liquid, I can Add even More Sucralose.

Also, with Many People wanting Max Clouds, many High VG Retail e-Liquids are Mixed with Little or No Water.

High Sucralose and Undiluted VG is a Perfect Combo for Coil Gunk.

Wiz Beard

Dec 13, 2016
What exactly do you mean by "burned out"? I have never burned a coil wire and only occasionally burn/scorch my wicking. I use both store bought and DIY. Do you mean your coils are gunked up or do they actually stop working?
By "burned out", I mean the wicking is burnt, like taking a dry hit of pure burnt cotton. The coils aren't actually gunked, they simply get dried out and start to burn because the liquid is too thick to efficiently soak into the cotton wicking at a fast enough rate. I feel like the store bought liquids would be fine for using a dripper, but not so good when vaped using a prebuilt coils and a tank. I use a Joyetech Cubis because it doesn't leak at all, it's easy to clean, and when I use my own DIY liquid, the coils last a long time and I get consistent vaping performance. I've got a whole box of tanks, rba's/rda's, of various makes and models, and the Cubis seems to work best for me (as long as I don't use store bought liquid.)

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
My diy uses 1% flavoring. I can taste it just fine and not much gunking. Spacing the coil seems to help too.
Yeah, I keep my DIY around 1% flavor too. Great flavor. I also space my coils just a nudge. Very little gunk. I clean/re-wick about every 1.5 weeks and the coils/wicks still look pretty good. 25ml/day.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
By "burned out", I mean the wicking is burnt, like taking a dry hit of pure burnt cotton. The coils aren't actually gunked, they simply get dried out and start to burn because the liquid is too thick to efficiently soak into the cotton wicking at a fast enough rate. I feel like the store bought liquids would be fine for using a dripper, but not so good when vaped using a prebuilt coils and a tank. I use a Joyetech Cubis because it doesn't leak at all, it's easy to clean, and when I use my own DIY liquid, the coils last a long time and I get consistent vaping performance. I've got a whole box of tanks, rba's/rda's, of various makes and models, and the Cubis seems to work best for me (as long as I don't use store bought liquid.)

Strange and since you DIY I don't have to ask about VG vs PG. Oh well you are better off doing DIY anyway.:thumbs:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
When you say you're coils Lasted a month or two, stock coils or Rebuildable? If rebuildable how often did you dry burn the coil and replace the wick? The most I ever got out of a stock coil was 8 days vaping unflavored. No one can get a month on one wick unless they like nasty flavors or their taste buds are gone :rolleyes:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
When you say you're coils Lasted a month or two, stock coils or Rebuildable? If rebuildable how often did you dry burn the coil and replace the wick? The most I ever got out of a stock coil was 8 days vaping unflavored. No one can get a month on one wick unless they like nasty flavors or their taste buds are gone :rolleyes:
I have no problem going 150+ ml's with rayon wicks and DIY that uses little/no sweetener. I have 4 mods in rotation and I plan to re-wick every 4 or 5 weeks whether they need it or not.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have no problem going 150+ ml's with rayon wicks and DIY that uses little/no sweetener. I have 4 mods in rotation and I plan to re-wick every 4 or 5 weeks whether they need it or not.
That's impressive. Any dark brown/black spots on your old wicks indicative of burned juice or rayon overheating? I personally have never seen a clean wick after a weeks use. I go by taste, when the vape starts tasting harsh I know it's time to replace the wick or stock coil. Typically 3-4 days with NETs or flavored juices. About 10 mils max haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread