Status
Not open for further replies.

camaro73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Dallas, Tx
www.facebook.com
I built this with spare wood laying around my shop.

IMAG0319.jpg IMAG0320.jpg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
to save messing about with the shrink tube and trying to be careful with a flame around the plastic your shrinking to you can boil the kettle and the steam will also shrink it ;)

great idea on the elastic band with the extra bit on it, ive been using an elastic band with a bit of paracord core tied to it.

im gonna make some of these bobbing things they look the dogs .....

the idea of using the sweet container is also good, depending on the wire you use and the size of the spool inside the container you might be able to drill a hole in the side then you can pull wire through it, similar to how those dental floss dispensers work :)

Reactions: cobalt327

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I picked these up at Hobby Lobby, 3 for $2.

They work real well too. They call them the Beadalon Spool Tamer

saver-png.453144

Now those are nice! No Hobby Lobby near me but I did find them on Amazon, a pack of 25 for $16 plus shipping. Here -->

And I also found them at Artbeads.com for 0.89 each, free shipping if the order is over $15. I added six to the cart and it quoted $2.99 for shipping, works out to $8.33 for six with shipping to New York. --> Beadalon Spool Tamer

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
i bought enough 20mm round cheapie beads to make 15 of these bobbing holders, they work a treat, thanks for the idea

and below is a pic of me taking a break halfway through making a clapton, and theres enough tension for the spool to stay put, awsome stuff ;)

i used tubing from cotton ear buds and whipped them in place with normal cotton for sewing cloths and then epoxied them

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
QRXT came up with this idea awhile back (for fishing line spools):

I coulda sworn I saw these things at Walmart for under $5 (dang, didn't buy one), but can't seem to find them on their site now. Wonder if they've been discontinued. They used to be really cheap! :unsure:

Hmmm...maybe we should get China to clone it! :laugh:

Last edited:

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
LOL! I bet FT would take a swing at it- I'll open a request ticket and see what happens. :D In the mean time, doing a search for PLANO 1084 LINE SPOOL BOX will bring up vendors who sell it. There may be cheaper versions by other manufacturers.

But in any event that looks like a sweet unit. I like that it's self contained and compact. That said, the setup above that uses the large beads is uber cool, too. In fact, IMHO there's not one bad idea here, period! Something about us vapers, we all seem to be hands-on DIY'ers at heart, even those of us who may lack mad skilz. :thumb:

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
if anyone is thinking of making bobbing holders like i have and your deciding to go hardcore on the tubing that is whipped to the holder rather than using the softish plastic that comes on the cotton buds as i have dont be put off, i've been claptoning a lot of 0.1(34g) & 0.2(32g) wire which cut's into the tubing after a short while if held at an angle to the the wire being claptoned, the slit made by this wire being pulled through the tube works to your advantage, i can get really really tight wraps. its hard to see any joins in the clapton wraps of 0.1

EDIT: the lines in the clapt wire below are most prob from twist or uneven base wire or something similar, looks to be at a guess probably about every 10th wrap but apart from that you can see how smooth and tight it is..

Last edited:
Reactions: cobalt327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread