Strangest thing, I can't taste my normal ecig flavors very well today - and I dont have a cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I've been vaping for 10 days or so now, I've been enjoying every puff so far. But today after about noon I can't really taste the flavors very well, these are the exact same flavors from the exact same bottles I've been enjoying so far.

I'm getting the same amount of vapor production, but just not much taste. Cleaned the cart and atty and refilled the cart. Noticed it with my USA mix, then when I tested it with RY4 and Wyatt Earp and maple walnut.

I've tried both of my 510 mega attys, both batteries, different carts both with the polyfill and the blue foam mod (switched over to foam 3 days ago).

Its really odd, my sense of taste seems to be otherwise unaffected. I've been vaping a lot, and I might have gotten a bit of juice in my mouth from an overfilled cart, but I can't figure it out.

I dont have a cold or a runny nose, have I vaped so much I've numbed my taste buds or sense of smell? The inside of my nose is a little dryer than usual, but its fall here and the inside humidity is only around 30%.

Dang it, I've been REALLY enjoing my ecig and the different flavors. What the heck is going on??!!

Last edited:

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
You are now entering, the Twilight Zone. LOL. Just kidding. I've had this same experience on a few occasions. Usually, what it seems to amount to is that for whatever reason in my setup, I am not experiencing that "sweet zone", where everything is just right. I go through and check everything in my setup. Juice is right? Cartridge is filled properly? Battery is charged? Good contact where the battery connects to the atomizer (you need to clean these areas up occasionally as they get buildups of gunk or juice)? I go through my check list like that. Sometimes I figure it out, other times I don't. Some things that cannot be checked easily, could be the cause. One of those might be a change in the resistance of the atomizer (an ohm meter can check this out), buildup of gunk and/or juice on the atomizer (sometimes a good cleaning of the atomizer can fix this), or a failed atomizer (again, an ohm meter can be used to check this).

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
it's probably just your taste buds. i had a similar thing happen where i either couldn't taste my juices or they tasted way off. it lasted for a few days.

it's all part of your body getting used to not smoking and healing itself. have you been drinking more water? if not, it's necessary to do so when vaping and that could partially explain why your nose is dry.

FadenQ

Oct 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I was under the impression that this is just due to overdoing it a bit. The next morning I always get the taste back. It’s the same thing with cigarettes. If you have three in a row the last one doesn’t taste like much either. I’m sure zero nic vapers would have a very different opinion, but once my nicotine needs have been satisfied the taste starts to go down.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
You are now entering, the Twilight Zone. LOL. Just kidding. I've had this same experience on a few occasions. Usually, what it seems to amount to is that for whatever reason in my setup, I am not experiencing that "sweet zone", where everything is just right. I go through and check everything in my setup. Juice is right? Cartridge is filled properly? Battery is charged? Good contact where the battery connects to the atomizer (you need to clean these areas up occasionally as they get buildups of gunk or juice)? I go through my check list like that. Sometimes I figure it out, other times I don't. Some things that cannot be checked easily, could be the cause. One of those might be a change in the resistance of the atomizer (an ohm meter can check this out), buildup of gunk and/or juice on the atomizer (sometimes a good cleaning of the atomizer can fix this), or a failed atomizer (again, an ohm meter can be used to check this).

I'm in the middle of that right now lol. Nothing has changed but I just can't seem to get a satisfying vape today, it's like my body built up a resistance overnight.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
This problem seems to happen to me every single day, sometime during the day, and lasts for 2 to 3 hours. Not much taste and no throat hits. Usually, the only thing that helps is if I just quit vaping for 20 to 30 minutes. I think the taste buds and/or throat gets numb from vaping so much or constantly.

It usually happens to me after vaping most of the time for 10 to 12 hours. Then, after taking a break, the first throat hit could be very intense or harsh.

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Well, I know my gear is clean, I clean the attys out w/ alcohol about every two or 3 days. I'm getting great production of vapor so the hardware is good. I think I must have overdone it then. I've been trying a lot of 24mg samples and I might have overdosed on nicotine.

I vape almost continuously during the day, a hit or two every 20 mins or so.

I guess I'll see in the morning, I orderd german chocolate cake, banana nut, and apple pie from Tasty Vapor at 12mg strength (I'd asked him to do it @ 18mg in the order notes but I dont know if he did it). They should be here soon and I'll see how those go.

Last edited:

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
It was better this morning, I could taste my PV flavors better, but not quite back to normal.

I drank a bunch of water last evening and closed the bathroom door this morning during my shower to steam my sinuses, I think its just a combination of I overdried the inside of my nose by being partially dehydrated and over vaping. As I've been drinking water this morning the flavor is slowly coming back.

I'm also vaping a 18mg charge this morning instead of the 24, can nicotine OD kill your sense of taste?

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
<snip>...
I'm also vaping a 18mg charge this morning instead of the 24, can nicotine OD kill your sense of taste?

I don't know if you can call it overdosing, but I know that when I "overvape", the nicotine starts to burn/tingle my mouth and throat a bit. If you've ever tried the old, unflavored nicorette you know the sensation and flavor of nicotine. I think it does have an affect on eLiquid flavors.

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Glad to hear that you are coming to your senses. LOL. Okay, yeah. That was lame. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It was better this morning, I could taste my PV flavors better, but not quite back to normal.

I drank a bunch of water last evening and closed the bathroom door this morning during my shower to steam my sinuses, I think its just a combination of I overdried the inside of my nose by being partially dehydrated and over vaping. As I've been drinking water this morning the flavor is slowly coming back.

Shan B

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Latrobe, PA
www.Vapecore.com
I've noticed I've had the same probs. So the solution came to me and it actually has been working.

1. LOTS of water, cutting back my sugar ingestion.
2. Rotate where the vape hits your tongue. Sounds odd, I know, but I noticed if I wake up in the morning and vape on my left side, and by 3pm start to vape more frontal, then by 9ish start vaping on my right side. I don't have the losing taste issue.

Seems as tho the rotation has been working for me, for the past couple weeks, and changing the area of which taste sensors it hits also helps the overall flavors... then again it could just be coincidence, but I liiiiiike it :p

My right side seems to have the best taste :)

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I've noticed I've had the same probs. So the solution came to me and it actually has been working.

1. LOTS of water, cutting back my sugar ingestion.
2. Rotate where the vape hits your tongue. Sounds odd, I know, but I noticed if I wake up in the morning and vape on my left side, and by 3pm start to vape more frontal, then by 9ish start vaping on my right side. I don't have the losing taste issue.

Seems as tho the rotation has been working for me, for the past couple weeks, and changing the area of which taste sensors it hits also helps the overall flavors... then again it could just be coincidence, but I liiiiiike it :p

My right side seems to have the best taste :)

LOL Shan. I am SO glad that you mentioned rotating where the vape hits your tongue. I've experienced this also, but was thinking to myself "this is NUTS! What in the world am I imagining now?" LOL I therefore, did not mention this as I just new everybody would think I was crazy. Glad you took the hit by revealing this gem.

Shan B

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Latrobe, PA
www.Vapecore.com
LOL Shan. I am SO glad that you mentioned rotating where the vape hits your tongue. I've experienced this also, but was thinking to myself "this is NUTS! What in the world am I imagining now?" LOL I therefore, did not mention this as I just new everybody would think I was crazy. Glad you took the hit by revealing this gem.

LOL. I already hear people who haven't tried this laughing at me. But I'm glad someone else wasn't afraid to stand up and say they do it too... hahahaaa :p I noticed my fiance doing the same thing the past few days.

It really does seem to work, so I'm going to be sticking with this... and probably making a vid on it, so people can enjoy the laugh... or grab on to this pc of advice that REALLY helps the tastebuds let ur brain know... NUM YUMMY :D without the hassle of taste-block every other week.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
AHHH the dreaded no taste Blues. It has hit many. It hit me about three to four weeks in. same symptoms as you all have posted. usually lasts 24 hours. Taste will come back but for me the taste was never as intense as it was the first few weeks. I have also noticed with the onset of a cold you can have the same issue. During a no taste period I keep a bottle of strong menthol juice around and put a few drops of that into some juices I really don't like and vape away. Good luck

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
I believe this happens to all of us at some point. I had it after about 10 days in and it lasted for about 2 weeks where all my juices tasted either bad or not the same. Now I'm 2 months in and I might loose my taste for a hour every now and then. I don't know if high nic has anything to do with it but ever since I stepped down from 24 to 11 things taste good all the time.

Maast

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Wow, I'm glad its not uncommon and that it'll eventually go away. By 1PM today I lost the flavors again and all I can taste is a vague "mineral water" kind of taste. Not exactly bad, but not very enjoyable either.

As a side note;

I bummed a marlboro ultra light (my old brand) off of a friend at work this morning and did a side-by-side comparison, one vape, and then one puff. I got 2 puffs into the comparison and had to apologize to my buddy that I couldnt finish the smoke I just bummed from him.

It tasted exactly like what I'd imagine licking a heavily used ashtray would taste like, it was awful. On the other hand the 50/50 mix of cappuccino smooth/marlboro was really tasty.

It looks like no matter what happens I'll never go back to analogs.

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
That's the same experience I've had regarding trying a real cigarette after beginning vaping. Whenever I have tried one ever since I began vaping, they taste just awful and I can get no further into the cigarette than a couple puffs or so, before having to throw them out. I have actually used that to my benefit as sort of a positive re-enforcement act. I will occasionally light up a cigarette to be reminded once again as to how badly they taste and also as a fear removal technique. What I mean by that is that, prior to vaping, whenever I would attempt to quit cigarattes, I had to remove all references to smoking from my life as much as possible. I would throw out not only cigarettes, but ashtrays, lighters, anything that would connect smoking to me and be a reminder to my smoking addiction. Now however, it is quite different. I actually have kept some cigarettes around, as well as lighters and ashtrays, etc. Though I have no intention of ever returning to smoking, I've found that I also no longer have the fear that I MIGHT return to it. Thus there is no necessity to remove all those reminders as I used to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread