Strata RDA Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'm going to move some of the build videos and posts all into one easy to find place, so this will be locked. It'll take me awhile(probably a good week or so) to go back through the threads and get them all here. If you have one you want here or know of one I missed that should be here, shoot me an email to supertmanufacturing@yahoo.com.

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of MattyB1503:

So I just wrapped a wire, point A to point B, no coils.

27 gauge, it's metering at ~ .75 ish.

The build is very straight forward, dead simple; but I plan on posting a step by step later.

I guess it fits both models; pedestrian and cloud chaser. Like I said couldn't be easier to build. Looks like it will be very simple to wrap down to .20 by changing wire gauge or adding multiple wraps or wire. Single wrap of 30 gauge would probably be around 1 ohm I'm guessing.

What makes this build work is the kanthal height and wicking..

At .75 ohms I am borderline blowing clouds with my Strata. That surprised me, I'm usually down under half an ohm. The vape is fully saturated and dense; by no means scratchy, wispy, dry or whatever.

Just pressed the fire button.

Firing

Not firing

In the last three pics I can defiantly see some Strata-ness going on at the top, however as cool as it is I'm kinda more interested in what going on down below the kanthal. I want to vape on this for ~ a week, and then I'll get back to the "how to" build pics.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of MattyB1503:

So a quick update: For now I'm calling it a coil-less build; but I think that applies to a whole genre, just like micro, mini and macro coils.

Official name and possibly build pics coming; it's really that easy though: connect at the positive, wrap to ground, meter, pulse, wick, drip, vape.

^ Two strands of 29 gauge and a piece of .8 x .1mm ribbon, twisted; a riff on Leo Shim's "Tiger Wire".

^ Metering at ~ 0.25 ohms.

^ Is it a bit more clear now, what is going on below the kanthal...

Sorry, best pics I can get right now. I really have nothing to say except I think the vapor production is fine :laugh:

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of High Voltage:

I've tried a couple builds so far... I've been very happy with two single wire dual micro coils, so a quad micro coil with 28g, and cotton. I just got some ribbon and 26g, so I might play around with it later. For now I haven't felt the need as this vapes great. It will make huge clouds, but in the vid I have it setup exactly to my liking for great flavor.

I actually shot the vid a little while back, still have the same coil and it's going strong.
1635e5e353897f9ee4e9be6a7bb34cae.jpg

5A01ABC1-917B-4A31-9BDE-EED113930357-3181-000003E545E519C1_zpsd738a0b7.jpg

486C245B-85B4-4FEC-9F1F-9934279FA8A6-3517-0000043EB4823314_zpsfdf992f1.jpg

I had a more basic coil setup when I was running it in 18350 mode, also worked great, also worked well with the kick2 @ 20 W.
D0D636A1-4EF7-43BB-813D-5CD074FAE574-3181-000003E14678959E_zps0b7e8a69.jpg

e805686ecf5d69b6074583e41f37da08.jpg

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of James1628:

Just moving this over from the other thread:

I thought I would post up some pics of my setup and a video of the performance. I will put this in the build thread if it reopens.

The setup is a single coil of 30awg kanthal, 6 wraps, on a nail that is somewhere between 1/16 and 5/64. I use the nail because it fits perfectly in my Squape wick channel, whereas 5/64 is slightly too big. Anywho, I don't have a good ohm meter to use on the Strata due to the hybrid connector, but this setup always comes out right at 1.5 ohms.

The coil is placed as far out as possible, right up against the outer wall (without touching). I also curve the coil slightly outward to run right along the outer wall (again, without touching). I bent it outward with a flathead screwdriver, very easy to do. I only bent it after installing the cotton. The setup results in some long coil tails to the posts. I draped some cotton over them to eliminate hot legs. The empty side of the atty has Spheroid filler in it to prevent flooding.

I marked the base with a sharpie to identify the location of the center of the coil. I also marked the cap to identify airhole location. Note that I don't have the airhole directly in front of the coil, but basically at one end of the coil.

In this configuration, it works well and the setup is relatively easy. I did post a video of the vapor I'm getting from it. It's pretty much on par with my other attys. In the video, I'm using a P+18350. Pics speak for themselves I think.

xku101.jpg

28vy93s.jpg

10qfpkm.jpg

25pias2.jpg

dxzmh4.jpg

nqbz6.jpg

2cxfe2r.jpg

2djck6w.jpg

Video of performance: IMG 0883[1] on Vimeo

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of Path77:

This thread is long overdue, but it's better late than never. I hope Nach doesn't mind me starting this up since this build is essentially his Ophion coil, but I think that people are getting a bit antsy to get their Stratas performing optimally. The coil that I make varies slightly from Nach's, but it is relatively simple to make. It is essentially identical to building a microcoil. I am using 26g kanthal, 7 wraps around a thick paper clip (measuring 0.035" in diameter). I torched the coil after wrapping.

Once the coil has cooled, stretch it out a bit and then attach it to the positive post. Do not stretch it out too much at first because you want the length of the coil to fit perfectly around the periphery, and it is easier to stretch the coil further rather than to compress it.

Once you have the coil attached to the positive post, slowly stretch the coil out to the proper length and attach it to the ground post.

Here is the coil lit up:

Pack the center with your wicking material of choice; I use organic cotton wick. I have been getting better performance from loosely packed wick versus a tightly packed wick. I have not been stuffing the wick all the way down to the base because I like it to act as a reservoir for juice. The height of the wick should not pass the base of the helix portion of the positive post.

Now fill it up with juice, let it soak, and vape away!!!

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Courtesy of Basilray:

Here's my 2nd and current build that I whipped up last night:

-Twisted 30awg
-Dual coils from one continuous run of wire - 0.3ohm
-"Spread coils" wrapped over 2mm hollow Ekowool over a 16awg needle (pretty sure it's 16awg...could have been 18 - lol)
-Ends of Ekowool down into the reservoir, leaving some air space underneath the coil
-Holds a TON of juice and wicks really well
-Strong TH when freshly dripped

33djdzn.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread