Studies on the gateway effect of vaping and adolescents

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
There is no proven gateway yet, only bad statistics drawing nonsense conclusions. Governments want to prove a gateway so they can over-regulate vaping.

The point is this;
The studies say some young people who experiment with vaping will go on to try tobacco smoking.
(OK, we can believe that)
Yet no study is prepared to state how many young people would have tried smoking anyway.
(No surprise)
Young people are not stupid in these things. The existence of Vaping will probably deter more people from smoking than will fall into a gateway effect. That is logic.
All science requires a 'control' element or we learn nothing except what you already want to learn.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Vaping has gateway potential for...

spending lots of money
buying multiple mods and atties
blowing clouds
trying out lots of different juices
and spending lots of money

and with all the money spent, they wont be able to afford the ciggies :)

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
I think addiction to nicotine is a more important topic to look up. As I see it, all nicotine products are gateways to nicotine addiction, which we all have different immunities to. But the science is in: nicotine causes addiction in a very high percentage of people to try it out. Then once the addiction is turned on, we're slave to any product which will satisfy the urge nic creates in most of us. I'd bet any amount of money there's more adolescents moving from nic vaping to cigarettes than from nic-free vaping.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I think addiction to nicotine is a more important topic to look up. As I see it, all nicotine products are gateways to nicotine addiction, which we all have different immunities to. But the science is in: nicotine causes addiction in a very high percentage of people to try it out. Then once the addiction is turned on, we're slave to any product which will satisfy the urge nic creates in most of us. I'd bet any amount of money there's more adolescents moving from nic vaping to cigarettes than from nic-free vaping.
Tobacco causes addiction, there's no actual studies of nicotine itself being addictive.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Nicotine, absent tobacco, has never been shown to cause dependence. There have been no studies, to my knowledge, that directly address this. However, there have been studies of nicotine as therapy for certain medical issues where non-smokers were given nicotine orally or via patch, and it has been noted that none of the participants developed a dependence.

This is a good place to start Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
Well no offense meant to those who disagree but from what I've read nicotine is the primary addictive ingredient in tobacco, and is considered strongly addictive at that. And I'm not inclined to accept the opinion of an e-cigarette forum for the exact same reason I'm not inclined to accept the opinion of a bunch of CEOs in the tobacco industry. Or the Chantix industry. Or the gum industry.

Nicotine - Wikipedia

Also I am one of the nicotine addicts so I've actualy been trough crossovers between tobacco and Nicorette and tobacco and Vapor.

Today I'm three years tobacco free. But if you take away my nicotine fix I'm going to turn into an *sshole. :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Well no offense meant to those who disagree but from what I've read nicotine is the primary addictive ingredient in tobacco, and is considered strongly addictive at that. And I'm not inclined to accept the opinion of an e-cigarette forum for the exact same reason I'm not inclined to accept the opinion of a bunch of CEOs in the tobacco industry. Or the Chantix industry. Or the gum industry.

Nicotine - Wikipedia

Also I am one of the nicotine addicts so I've actualy been trough crossovers between tobacco and Nicorette and tobacco and Vapor.

Today I'm three years tobacco free. But if you take away my nicotine fix I'm going to turn into an *sshole. :)
wikipedia should never be used as a source IMO. You're addicted because you started with tobacco. Nicotine can alleviate withdrawal symptoms from tobacco addiction, for some people, that's why the patch works for some and not others. You don't have to take my word for it, read the article I linked, then follow the trails from there.

Even the FDA itself doesn't really believe that nicotine alone can create dependence. Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change
"The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
To my understanding based on my research over the last few years: Nicotine is addictive, but not much more than caffeine - if you are a regular caffeine "user" then you will likely be an ....... for a few weeks if you try to cold turkey your dependence. Same with me and Nicotine. JUST Nicotine. Traditional cigarettes have a crap ton of other things to increase the addictive properties of nicotine, and get you addicted to other stuff. The physical habits associated to smoking not withstanding (putting something to your mouth, taking "smoke" into your lungs, exhaling "smoke"). The physical aspect of smoking is the addictive part for a lot of people - i think this is one of the reasons vaping is so effective for many.

As far as the gateway effect - i'm pretty sure most (if not all) scientists have dismissed it. It's just political chin wagging. The one reasonable argument about the "gateway effect" that make sense to me is: if your social group is using certain substances (nicotine/alcohol) you are more likely to try them yourself. I'd expand on that thought, but drug talk is forbidden here.

as far as youth use goes - i think there is just a subset of the society that will try these kinds of things - for one reason or another they (we?) are drawn to the behavior (smoking). My generation was indoctrinated with how bad smoking is for you, yet I still became a smoker. Over the last 20 years or so there hasn't been a significant drop in use based on the CDCs studies on youth "tobacco" survey results. (though, the survey has many problems - such as classifying vaping as a tobacco product, but more - classifying use in the last 30 days as a "regular" user.)

I leave you with this question: If vaping is as addictive as caffeine, and potentially just as harmful to the adolescent brain, why does our society crack down so hard on nicotine, but any kid with cash can walk into a Starbucks and get a coffee slurpy?

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
There was a study done with rats. I don't recall the methodology but their conclusion was that the rats didn't get addicted to nicotine.

I think that nicotine may cause some sort of dependency which may be just a habit. There are several things that many people feel they need to get through the day, one is coffee. We've all seen those coffee mugs that say "Don't talk to Joe until he's had his coffee". I don't think Joe is addicted to coffee but he feels that he needs it before he can function properly.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Even the FDA itself doesn't really believe that nicotine alone can create dependence. Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change
"The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence."
The NRT products have a success rate of like 7 or 12% (i don't remember the exact statistic) - success rate determined by no relapse in 12 months. 1 or 2 points better than those who quit cold turkey. Vaping seems to be quite a bit more effective - judging by the growth of the community (mostly seem to be converts from tobacco) and current legislation :) I seem to recall the success rate was around 20% with eGo style devices - but more time is needed for better research (i'm recalling this from research i did a year ago or so - sorry i don't have the references handy).

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
There was a study done with rats. I don't recall the methodology but their conclusion was that the rats didn't get addicted to nicotine.

I think that nicotine may cause some sort of dependency which may be just a habit. There are several things that many people feel they need to get through the day, one is coffee. We've all seen those coffee mugs that say "Don't talk to Joe until he's had his coffee". I don't think Joe is addicted to coffee but he feels that he needs it before he can function properly.

Rodent studies with nicotine are unreliable as we metabolize nicotine differently IIRC
Caffeine is mildly addictive, several studies have been done that show the half-life is 24-48 hours (depending on the person) - so 24-48 hours after your last cup of coffee you'll likely feel the drain off the energy you gained from the cup. Maybe when i get a bit more time I'll link some articles - i apologize for my laziness :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The NRT products have a success rate of like 7 or 12% (i don't remember the exact statistic) - success rate determined by no relapse in 12 months. 1 or 2 points better than those who quit cold turkey. Vaping seems to be quite a bit more effective - judging by the growth of the community (mostly seem to be converts from tobacco) and current legislation :) I seem to recall the success rate was around 20% with eGo style devices - but more time is needed for better research (i'm recalling this from research i did a year ago or so - sorry i don't have the references handy).
Personally I think there are a number of reasons why vaping seems to be more effective. One, the behavioral aspects, the hand to mouth, inhale/exhale, etc. Two, vaping is enjoyable in its own right. Three, when you pick up vaping it doesn't come with instructions to cut down and then out your nicotine over X weeks.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Rodent studies with nicotine are unreliable as we metabolize nicotine differently IIRC
Caffeine is mildly addictive, several studies have been done that show the half-life is 24-48 hours (depending on the person) - so 24-48 hours after your last cup of coffee you'll likely feel the drain off the energy you gained from the cup. Maybe when i get a bit more time I'll link some articles - i apologize for my laziness :)
Granted that rats are different from people. I just think that it is one indication that nicotine isn't as addictive as the "experts" say. They would really need to do a controlled study with humans which, to my knowledge, has never been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread