Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
What a crock. Study my hind end.

http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(17)34205-2/fulltext

Urine samples were collected from 13 e-cigarette users and 10 non-smoking, non e-cigarette using controls. Samples were acidified, hydrolyzed, extracted, dried and resuspended for LC-MS analysis. Five molecules known to be bladder carcinogens that are either present in traditional cigarettes or common solvents believed to be used in some e-cigarette formulations were targeted for analysis. These included benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, 1-hydroxypyrene, o-toluidine and 2-naphthylamine (limit of detection 10-100 ng/ml).

Gee, a whopping 13 users! And this was touted as an honest study? I'd be interested to know what ties these so called researchers have to other anti-tobacco agencies.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
One of my husband's friends had bladder cancer, and his doctor attributed it directly to smoking (cigarettes). So, was it the nicotine? And we're still getting that nicotine, but there might be a bigger picture...tobacco is a very highly sprayed crop. Could it be the pesticide/herbicide sprays that's causing cancer? We have been bombarded for years with pesticides, herbicides and now GMOs, and cancer rates have risen dramatically in the last several decades.

It's easy to point a finger at a product, but no one seems to consider exactly what has been done to that product before it reaches the consumer.

I do agree that inhaling burning plant matter is dangerous, if for no other reason than it creates carbon dioxide which displaces oxygen in the blood.

I just don't think we get the whole picture sometimes. That's my measly offering.

Reactions: SK1LL

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Those aren't even published studies. They're just abstracts. This one: "E-Cigarette Smoke is Potentially Bladder Carcinogenic – It Induces Tumorigenic DNA Adducts and Inhibits DNA Repair in Urothelial Cells (#PI-11)," claimed that "E-cigarette smoke induced tumorigenic DNA damage in bladder mucosa."

"Smoke"? But there isn't any actual smoke. And they don't have prospective evidence to link the purported "tumorigenic DNA damage" to actual carcinomas. Also, the adducts may be a laboratory artifact created by inhibition of nuclear excision repair, which normally removes these.

The nicotine, nitrosamine and formaldehyde may not have been from e-cigarettes at all, but from a lab supply company. Can't tell from the abstract. They further claim that "Nicotine can be nitrosatized in urothelial cells, then further metabolized into carcinogenic nitrosamines and formaldehyde."

This is contrary to established science that "endogenous production of NNK from nicotine has not been detected in humans or rats (Hecht et al. 1999a)" (in Benowitz et al., 2009.)
Nicotine Chemistry, Metabolism, Kinetics and Biomarkers

Benowitz says nothing about formaldehyde and it is apparently not produced. Considering that formaldehyde is found in large quantities in foods such as apples, nicotine would not be a significant source anyway.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
In "Evaluation of E-Cigarettes Users Urine for Known Bladder Carcinogens (#MP88-14)," they claim that "Urine from 92 percent of e-cigarette users tested positive for two of the five carcinogenic compounds." They do not say how many non-users were also positive, probably because it's a similar number, due to supposed carcinogens being widespread in ordinary food.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The study also found the same two so-called carcinogens in nonsmoking nonvapers, which indicates that these chemicals are present in all humans (not just smokers and vapers).

The deceitful press release headline was nothing more than click bait to generate fear mongering news stories.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
...due to supposed carcinogens being widespread in ordinary food. (Carol T)

The study also found the same two so-called carcinogens in nonsmoking nonvapers, which indicates that these chemicals are present in all humans (not just smokers and vapers). (Bill Godshall)

Which leads me to believe they should be banning herbicides and pesticides, because we're eating these in our food supply. Yes, their studies say these things don't cause cancer, but I'm not convinced.

Reactions: SK1LL

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
...due to supposed carcinogens being widespread in ordinary food. (Carol T)

The study also found the same two so-called carcinogens in nonsmoking nonvapers, which indicates that these chemicals are present in all humans (not just smokers and vapers). (Bill Godshall)

Which leads me to believe they should be banning herbicides and pesticides, because we're eating these in our food supply. Yes, their studies say these things don't cause cancer, but I'm not convinced.
Those carcinogens are there naturally, not from herbicides and pesticides.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I didn't know that! :shock:

medicine: facts and fictions: Carcinogens and Vegetables

See list of vegetables (at bottom) with naturally occurring carcinogens. However, please note:

"To be technically correct, most carcinogens are inducers, i.e. they either increase the chance of a mutation or they increase the susceptibility of the cell to outside mutating influences. A few carcinogens directly cause cancer, but none of them will do so in 100% of the cases."

And:

"However, a main human concern seems to be carcinogens in our food. Now, how do we decide that a chemical is carcinogenic? We usually assume that any chemical that causes cancer in rats, no matter at what dose, is carcinogenic. The fact that rat physiology and human physiology are different does not enter into our considerations, although their are chemicals that induce cancer in rats and not in humans , and vice versa."

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
"believed to be used in some e-cigarette formulations"
with only 13 samples, and no indication of the type of juice used....who knows?

Although to be fair, the food-link point is why I usually vape unflavored juice and stay away from NETS and such...each extra molecule you add....adds stuff. But I still eat... Who knows!?!?!?!

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
"believed to be used in some e-cigarette formulations"
with only 13 samples, and no indication of the type of juice used....who knows?

Although to be fair, the food-link point is why I usually vape unflavored juice and stay away from NETS and such...each extra molecule you add....adds stuff. But I still eat... Who knows!?!?!?!

Do you think that flavours can be the source of these chemicals? I also vape just unflavoured e-liquids (VG, PG, DW and nicotine).

Reactions: AttyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread