Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
If the coils resistance is less than 1 ohm, it is sub-ohm. With a mechanical mod the lower the resistance of the coil the more power it draws from the battery, the hotter it will be and generally the more vapor it will produce. If you are inhaling more vapor, then it's wise to reduce the nicotine level in your e-juice as you will be absorbing more of it.
With regulated devices the coil resistance is unimportant, you set the power level to what suits your needs.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Can someone explain to me, in the simplest of terms, the difference between sub ohm and ????? .... I saw a post that said something about if your are sub ohm'ing, to stay 1.0 or under something and cut nicotine levels in half. I am so confused! LOL

Two errr, I mean 3 years ago, when I started vaping, 2, 3, and 4 ohm coils were not uncommon; I believe a lot of the coils were around 2 ohm.
Typical regulated mods at the time operated up to 15 watts.

Meanwhile some vapers vaped on unregulated mods using direct battery voltage, and used very low ohm coils in order to draw more power and make bigger clouds.

Sub ohm means less than 1 ohm.

Big coils that take high power are usually sub ohm coils.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I have only been vaping for a couple of days ... really to quit smoking ... I have a Kanger Kbox mini. Right now I have a mix of GroundZero and Element both 6mg ... both 80/20 (whatever that means) LOL I feel seriously slow right now! LOL

E-liquid is a mix of flavorings, nicotine and two main components, vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). VG is thick and makes a lot of vapor, VG is thinner and carries much of the flavor.
The 80/20 represents the ratio of the VG and PG in the mix. Tank atomizers usually require a relatively low viscosity so use a higher PG ratio so they wick correctly.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Subohm means less than one ohm. I usually write coils greater than 1 ohm as +ohm. In general, the lower the value, the warmer and denser the vape, and the more juice and battery power it consumes. The higher the coil, the opposite. There is no particular benefit or merit in being in either regime. Vaping is very individualistic; what matters is what you like and what it takes to keep you off tobacco. Lower nic juices are advised for low ohm vaping because you're getting more vapor per drag and you can get nic sick from getting too much. Your "80/20" ratio probably means 80%PG, 20%VG. Many people consider 6mg nic to be the upper limit for subohm. I subohm, and use 3mg. What coil do you have in your tank, and what watts do you have set?

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I have only been vaping for a couple of days ... really to quit smoking ... I have a Kanger Kbox mini. Right now I have a mix of GroundZero and Element both 6mg ... both 80/20 (whatever that means) LOL I feel seriously slow right now! LOL

Okay, so your Kbox came with a Sub Tank Mini. That should have came with two coils. One is 0.5 ohms (that is sub-ohm), the other is 1.5 ohms (that is NOT sub-ohm). The Kbox can be dialed up to a 50 watt maximum, and you'll adjust that depending on the coil and how hot you want your vape. The sub-ohm coil will typically make bigger clouds and go through juice faster, but that all depends on how much wattage you throw at it. In practice, you can get an equal vape from either coil if for instance you put around 15 watts into the 0.5 ohm coil and 50 watts into the 1.5 ohm coil (not exact numbers, just an example). 6mg liquid may be enough, or you may need a higher concentration, depending on how much you smoked before. The 0.5 ohm coil will be more effective in delivering the nicotine, so keep that in mind.

Other than that, Sonic hit most of the basics on the difference between sub-ohm and standard resistances earlier... I hope this makes sense, and if not, keep asking questions. There are a ton of helpful people here!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
So should I be vaping more like a 70/30? I thought the more VG the thinner and burns quicker? So much to freaking learn.
Other way around. More PG, more throat hit. Going to 70/30, or even 60/40 should smooth it out. For reference, I vape 40/60.

Reactions: Kaezziel

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
not sure which one she put it but it came with:
  • Sub-ohm 0.5ohm and LR 1.5 ohm Coil Included.
It says .19 Horseshoe
When i press the button, below the .19 pops up a 2.82V
And I have it set to 25w when I vape the 6mgs and to 35w when I vape the 3mg.

Hmmm... something is wrong there. That means that your coil is reading 0.19 ohms. That tank doesn't come with a 0.19 ohm coil... that resistance is more in line with what you would see from a nickel coil and that would need to be vaped using temperature control. My immediate suggestion is that you need to change the coil.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
not sure which one she put it but it came with:
  • Sub-ohm 0.5ohm and LR 1.5 ohm Coil Included.
It says .19 Horseshoe
When i press the button, below the .19 pops up a 2.82V
And I have it set to 25w when I vape the 6mgs and to 35w when I vape the 3mg.
lol, the horseshoe is a Greek capital Omega, and it is the symbol for "ohms." You sure it says .19? Not 1.9? If it really is .19, that's probably a TC coil of some kind and should not be used in wattage mode.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Hmmm... something is wrong there. That means that your coil is reading 0.19 ohms. That tank doesn't come with a 0.19 ohm coil... that resistance is more in line with what you would see from a nickel coil and that would need to be vaped using temperature control. My immediate suggestion is that you need to change the coil.
lol, beat me to it, Kaez ;-)

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
E-liquid is a mix of flavorings, nicotine and two main components, vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). VG is thick and makes a lot of vapor, VG is thinner and carries much of the flavor.
The 80/20 represents the ratio of the VG and PG in the mix. Tank atomizers usually require a relatively low viscosity so use a higher PG ratio so they wick correctly.
PG is thinner :)

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
So should I be vaping more like a 70/30? I thought the more VG the thinner and burns quicker? So much to freaking learn.
No, 80/20 is fine for most kits and sub-ohm coils because they're designed to wick the thicker juice.
It says .19 Horseshoe
As in .19Ω - the "horseshoe" is the symbol for Ohms. My guess is that you have a .15Ω Nickel coil in there, designed to be used with the Temperature Control function. (Variances of a few hundredths in the ohm reading on mods is normal.) Nickel coils really shouldn't be used in Power mode where you set the wattage as the main setting. You may want to look at the instructions and search YouTube for some videos on how to use the control functions on your mod to use the Temp Control functions - the coil may still be okay if it's not tasting funky when you vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread