Sub tank mini troubles with 30/70 pg to vp juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhlor

Apr 28, 2015
So i've recently order some juice (online) with 30/70 pg/vp ratio and filled up my tank (on a sub tank mini) with it. Within the first couple vapes, I started getting a smokey taste (I think you guys call it dry hits). At first, I thought it was a dead coil, so I put in a new one on the rba using inserts I bought from kangertech. Tried again and that smokey taste that also smells like smoke occurs. So I switched out the juice to 50/50 and right away, it starts tasting good again. Is there a way to get the 30/70 juice to work or did I just blow away 30 bucks on a 60 ml bottle? Ive tried more and less cotton, tightening everything, and priming the coils but nothing worked.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I had trouble with my Kanger subtank mini when I first had to change coils (premade 1.2 ohm OCC). I got burnt taste right away and replaced it with another. The second time I primed the coil, then let the tank sit for a half hour, while I used another tank. It was fine after that. I don't know if I just didn't get enough juice in the first change or not, but priming and letting it sit for a while worked for me.

Mhlor

Apr 28, 2015
Im using the rba with inserts bought from kangertech. I dont know exactly what the "coil" is, the inserts or the rba but the inserts are the only one I need to replace. These "inserts" are the thing that holds the cotton and they last approx. 5 days. but with the new juice, they burn out right away. I've never dealt with this crazy burnt taste until this 30/70 juice.

Mhlor

Apr 28, 2015
Im almost positive the 30/70 juice is not wicking well and I can conclude this because the 50/50 juice works just fine. But is there a way to fix this issue? Regarding the ohm coil, the inserts' package states that it's approx. .5 ohms and the wattage I use is about 12 watts. I've even tried high/low wattage and max/low airflow and still get the same burning taste. I primed it like crazy and even let it sit overnight.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome Mhlor!

One thing with new coils (inserts) is to make sure the "stuffing" (a.k.a. wicking material) has had time to absorb some liquid before you fire it. Also, start LOW with your power and work your way up. Not a grand idea to put "fire in the hole" on the first hit. Almost always guaranteed to toast stuff.

I use 30p/70v juices (approximately - I DIY and only my flavorings are PG - all else is VG.) I've found that the RBA is a bit touchy with higher-VG juices. I think I'm going to enlarge the juice holes on one of my RBA heads to see if that helps (read it elsewhere here in the forum). I have a couple of STMs, so I'm willing to experiment. Until I can do that, I've had to turn the heat down and draw a little more slowly to avoid frying my wick.

voodoochicken

Jan 25, 2015
Welcome Mhlor!

One thing with new coils (inserts) is to make sure the "stuffing" (a.k.a. wicking material) has had time to absorb some liquid before you fire it. Also, start LOW with your power and work your way up. Not a grand idea to put "fire in the hole" on the first hit. Almost always guaranteed to toast stuff.

I use 30p/70v juices (approximately - I DIY and only my flavorings are PG - all else is VG.) I've found that the RBA is a bit touchy with higher-VG juices. I think I'm going to enlarge the juice holes on one of my RBA heads to see if that helps (read it elsewhere here in the forum). I have a couple of STMs, so I'm willing to experiment. Until I can do that, I've had to turn the heat down and draw a little more slowly to avoid frying my wick.
When I'm not dripping I have 3 subtank mini's in rotation. I vape 20/80 and 30/70 exclusively. The RBA section is fantastic if it is wicked properly like in the video I posted above. I would suggest trying it before making any modifications. Cheers.

Reactions: DingerCPA

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
When I'm not dripping I have 3 subtank mini's in rotation. I vape 20/80 and 30/70 exclusively. The RBA section is fantastic if it is wicked properly like in the video I posted above. I would suggest trying it before making any modifications. Cheers.

Thanks Voodoo! I just watched the video. I will try THAT first, before I go crazy with a dremel :)

voodoochicken

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks Voodoo! I just watched the video. I will try THAT first, before I go crazy with a dremel :)
I hope it works for you . I know it has for me. I never gets dry hits with that method but I leave my cotton just a little longer than he does because I am not running max VG. I like my cotton sitting on the deck and use a piece of Kanthal to open my juice channels.
I should also mention that I don't vape these tanks over 25-26 watts though.. YMMV.

Seems like a wicking issue, hope the different method works out for you. I got tired of trying different methods and used a dremal to open up the juice inlets in the RTA base. I'm still running through old 24mg juice from my evod tank ego battery days, I dilute with pure VG so I run very high VG juices. Works great now, but wouldn't suggest it for someone that may use thinner juices from time to time.

jd5fm

Apr 28, 2015
Im almost positive the 30/70 juice is not wicking well and I can conclude this because the 50/50 juice works just fine. But is there a way to fix this issue? Regarding the ohm coil, the inserts' package states that it's approx. .5 ohms and the wattage I use is about 12 watts. I've even tried high/low wattage and max/low airflow and still get the same burning taste. I primed it like crazy and even let it sit overnight.

Same issue I was having, but with the 1.2 ohm coils. I was almost to the point of tossing the tank. Thanks to the members in this wonderful community though, I was able to resolve the problem!
I was vaping mine at 12w as well. One member pointed out that this setting was at the very bottom of the recommended scale for the 1.2 ohm coil(12-25w). You said you are using the .5 ohm coil. Kanger's recommended wattage setting for that is 15-30w. The member continued to say that my juice most likely isn't being vaporized completely, at 12 watts. This was leaving a residue build up on the coil and clogging my wick, thus the dry/burnt hits. Juice wasn't being allowed to flow through, so I was basically burning cotton. Since then, I've upped my wattage to 19w and have been puffing like a steam engine with no dry hits whatsoever.
I would suggest starting off with a new coil, set your wattage somewhere right in the middle of the recommended scale(I've heard 20-25w is great), prime/wick your coil as suggested and vape away. It WILL produce a warmer vape, but I'd trade that any day to avoid the dry/burnt hits!
I hope this works for you, as it's done wonders for me. I'm even thinking of getting a second subtank now!

Reactions: DingerCPA

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Mines been going ok with the 65-70 vg juice depending on my diy mix.
Stock OCC fine and rebuilt OCC i have the cotton snug in the coils.
RBA section also snug and cut the cotton about half an inch above the chamber then fold the ends down so bottoms are touching the deck then juice up and gently move the wicks away from the sides so juice channels are clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread