Subox Mini .5 vs 1.2 Coil........PROBLEMS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
I recently got a subox mini which I LOVE-right out of the box it was the best thing I had ever used......then it was time to change the coil.......SO-I put in the 1.2 coil and was still at 30W and it was HORRIBLE.......burned and stung like I sucked on a lit lighter
A guy at a vape store here told me if I use the 1.2 to lower the wattage so I went all the way down to 10-nothing exciting.......Ive seen people on here that say they vape a 1.2 at 30-40W-how do you do it?????
I wont be back home till tomorrow to get to my coils but I dont think I will EVER use another 1.2ohm coil
If Im doing this all wrong, I am open to ANY ideas or constructive criticism!!! (OR if you just want to criticize.....LOL)
IMO the subox mini with a .5ohm coil was the best Ive had in a LONG TIME
ok-rant over

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I recently got a subox mini which I LOVE-right out of the box it was the best thing I had ever used......then it was time to change the coil.......SO-I put in the 1.2 coil and was still at 30W and it was HORRIBLE.......burned and stung like I sucked on a lit lighter
A guy at a vape store here told me if I use the 1.2 to lower the wattage so I went all the way down to 10-nothing exciting.......Ive seen people on here that say they vape a 1.2 at 30-40W-how do you do it?????
I wont be back home till tomorrow to get to my coils but I dont think I will EVER use another 1.2ohm coil
If Im doing this all wrong, I am open to ANY ideas or constructive criticism!!! (OR if you just want to criticize.....LOL)
IMO the subox mini with a .5ohm coil was the best Ive had in a LONG TIME
ok-rant over

1: Get yourself a 5pack or 10pack of the 0.5 ohm coils so you have backups you can continue vaping with.

When you are new to vaping it's important that once you find a combination that works for you, you get enough supplies to keep going.

Once you change something, chances are high you'll not be happy.

2: It's all about the coil; whenever you put in a fresh coil, you should start low and adjust power upwards until you find the sweet spot; if you start too high you basically burn the coil; once you burn the coil you can consider it dead.

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
I'm using a 1.2 coil right now and directly on the coil it says 12-25w, so that's probably how you burnt it up. I vape it at 20w no issues, for higher watts I use the 0.5 coil at 25-30 watts. Never felt the need to go higher personally.
I started at 10w then went up-Im at 9 now and its not so bad but at 20 it BURNS MY THROAT BAD.......the .5 coils at 30w was PERFECT
I need to run to the store and get another .5 coil for today i guess!
thanks!
(how would i have burnt it up?)

Reactions: jrenae4

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All factory-made coils will have a recommended range of power (wattage) to fire them. It's best to stick to those power ratings.

Any NEW coil should be "broken in" before applying a high power. Start low and work your way up gradually. Always insure the wick is wet, too. Once you actually "burn" a coil or wick, it is ruined no matter what you try to do.

Last edited:

jrenae4

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
ES, MD
All factory-made coils will have a recommended range of power (wattage) to fire them. It's best to stick to those power ratings.

Any NEW coil should be "broken in" before applying a high power. Start low and work your way up gradually. Always insure the wick is wet, too. Once you burn a coil or wick, it is ruined no matter what you try to do.

Exactly. I start all of mine at about 12-16w then go up from there. It gets to a point where you can "tell" it's broken in. Vapor production gets better, etc.

Last edited:

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I maintain that the best way to prime a pre-made coil is to put drops into the top, slowly, until the exposed cotton on the sides turns from dry to wet (this can take a few minutes of work and some patience). Once that happens I put a drop on each juice hole and then put the tank together. Then I let it sit for 5 minutes or so. To me it is the only true way to be sure the juice has saturated the cotton surrounding the coil. Just putting juice on the juice holes and letting the tank sit for 5-10 minutes, to me, doesn't guarantee it is soaking up what it needs to be fully wet. You don't know how tight the cotton in that coil is and it could take longer. I've never had a dry hit on a new coil when I've done it this way. And yes, start low on the power and work up.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
You can't really bring back a coil that you already burned the wick on. It's going to always taste burned. Even if you're getting a vape off it at a low wattage, the wick is still charred.

Those coils need to start low to break in, they were never fired, so the first time it sees heat is when you use it. Sometimes they are bad out of the package too.

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
I maintain that the best way to prime a pre-made coil is to put drops into the top, slowly, until the exposed cotton on the sides turns from dry to wet (this can take a few minutes of work and some patience). Once that happens I put a drop on each juice hole and then put the tank together. Then I let it sit for 5 minutes or so. To me it is the only true way to be sure the juice has saturated the cotton surrounding the coil. Just putting juice on the juice holes and letting the tank sit for 5-10 minutes, to me, doesn't guarantee it is soaking up what it needs to be fully wet. You don't know how tight the cotton in that coil is and it could take longer. I've never had a dry hit on a new coil when I've done it this way. And yes, start low on the power and work up.
Did EXACTLY that and this time got a good coil and I am back to where I started-HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks dhood and EVERYONE who answered my post!

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Well after a long talk with tech support from the great folks at www.ecig.com I think I found the problem-seems it was the VOLTAGE-at 30W it was running at about 4.4V and i backed down to 20W and its tasting MUCH better and coming in at about 3V.........have to pull more but if thats what it takes for the taste to be good, so be it! And I wont blow thru juice like a FIEND

Reactions: jrenae4

ktcmojo

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
And even MORE talking with (this time) just the FOLKS at ecig.com-got a different story from every CSR-the post above lasted a few hours........I called back and got yet ANOTHER story......and they are NOT interested in standing behind their products-YOU BOUGHT IT, YOU NAME IT
Needless to say I am not impressed...........but I have a nice paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread