Subtank Mini - prebuilt coils questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo0123yo

Mar 10, 2015
New York, NY, USA
So I'm still somewhat new to vaping, I know what I'm doing when it comes to everything except building my own coils, which I will get the hang of eventually. But for now I'm looking to buy just prebuilt coils. Im looking for a couple .3 - .5ohm coils, I saw a couple of sites that have nichrome 60 prebuilts, nichrome, kanthal, and twisted prebuilt coils. Does it matter much if I get nichrome, kanthal, or twisted? Also for the subtank mini RBA, what awg is the biggest I should go? Would 20 be fine? Is 22 better? I am looking at VaporDNA for them, if anyone can recommend another site I'd greatly appreciate it.Thanks so much in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: evan le'garde

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Start with the factory coils for awhile.. Use that as a gauge which way to go from there. I don't have any idea what you like in a vape, in this case you don't either. As a general rule I would say build you new atomizer as close to your old one as possible the first few times. Then ask, how to get, from where you are, to where you want to be.

Reactions: evan le'garde

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
So I'm still somewhat new to vaping, I know what I'm doing when it comes to everything except building my own coils, which I will get the hang of eventually. But for now I'm looking to buy just prebuilt coils. Im looking for a couple .3 - .5ohm coils, I saw a couple of sites that have nichrome 60 prebuilts, nichrome, kanthal, and twisted prebuilt coils. Does it matter much if I get nichrome, kanthal, or twisted? Also for the subtank mini RBA, what awg is the biggest I should go? Would 20 be fine? Is 22 better? I am looking at VaporDNA for them, if anyone can recommend another site I'd greatly appreciate it.Thanks so much in advance
Is there a vape shop around you that you could watch and talk to the person while someone there built a coil and a few spares for you? by the time you add in shipping, it might be about the same if you're only wanting a couple coils to try.

yo0123yo

Mar 10, 2015
New York, NY, USA
xiwahoj.jpg

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

20/22g would be difficult on the STM RBA. I have forced in some 24g and that is ok. You may be best with 26 or 28 actually! It will take twisted 30 with no issues!

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
For the Subtank Mini RBA deck

I bought 24awg kanthal thinking it was the same as the stock coils, it wasn't !. So then i bought some 26awg kanthal. The 26awg comes pretty close, with 5 wraps at 2.5mm id, to the stock coils 0.5ohm's but i found i had to trim the legs down as short as possible before fitting.

I'm quite sure now that the stock coils are actually 5 wraps of 25awg with an id of 2.5mm with an ohm reading of 0.5.

The 24awg i used wouldn't fire on my Vamo V7. I did 5 wraps at 2.5mm id and the ohm's read 0.3. So your 20awg or 22awg isn't going to work unless you are considering doing something way over my head with it, but i can't imagine what.

At this moment in time i am using 26awg kanthal with 5 wraps at a id of 2.5mm and the ohm reading is 0.7, which is ok. Vapes really well, nice volumous vapour great taste etc.

I will be getting some 25 awg soon though.

In the meantime i'm thinking of getting some 0.7mm x 0.1 ribbon wire and see what i get with 5 wraps of that, hopefully it might produce more vapour.

It's all fun and games aint it.:)

I don't use the other coil assembly. One reason for that is the juice holes come halfway up the tank, so not much use to me really.:nah:

Reactions: yo0123yo

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
I been told they 26 from my local b&m and he all about the the subtank mini but you could be right i never wrapped a 2.4 mm atleast thats what screwdriver fits in my prebuilts. I make 3mm coils instead 5 wraps come in at .7 i find for me it wicked better with the bigger diameter coil. If i drop a wrap probally come in close to .5 but i stick to what works for me since this deck can be finicky sometimes.

Reactions: bichon frise
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread