Subtank RBA builds? show em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwiseman

Jan 11, 2015
Hey guys, recently picked up a kangertech subtank and got all the bugs worked out. I built a dual microcoil setup on the rba deck last night, it's reading about 0.35 ohm and does good at about 30w with organic cotton wicks much like a kayfun build. 6 wraps of 28ga kanthal around a 2.0 mm screwdriver. The flavor is great, and vapor production is good, but not quite like I'm seeing in other subtank reviews. What kind of builds are you guys using? Any tips?

jlwiseman

Jan 11, 2015
I built a single micro coil tonight that works extremely well. 10 wraps of 28ga around a 2.0mm screwdriver. Angled 45* across the deck with the wick making an L shape to lay in the juice wells. Came out at 1.4 ohm and at 20w, the vape is dense, flavor is thick and rich, and I'm getting pretty nice clouds with a warm vape. So far, I'm thinking this will be my regular build. I got in a hurry and forgot to snap pics. But I'll be sure to update here when I rewick it.

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I built a 5 turn coil (single) for the deck,and really like it! It's 24ga and wraped around a 1/8 inch drill bit. It reads 0.80 and produces great vapor/flavor.:) I do wish the inlet holes on the RDA body were larger,as I use a lot of juice with 80-90 VG. 003.jpg

Last edited:
I have found my favourite coil build for the Subtank.

1.7 ohm, Twisted 32awg coil.

The first picture is a 1.7 ohm coil that I wanted to switch out (every week).
It was working great, but thought I could improve it.
IMG_3127.jpg

AND I Have.
I found that if I build a tighter coil I get a better vape with this build.
Still 1.7 ohm, twisted 32awg coil
IMG_3130.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg

I use this build on top of my MVP2.0 or my iTaste134. So no mega power is needed. :D
Depending on the juice I hit this coil between 8W and 12W.
Usually I find 10W (4.1V @ 1.7ohm) is where I find it works best for most of my juices & flavours.
I find this build gives me the best vape... it is thick and flavourful without being too hot.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I have found my favourite coil build for the Subtank.

1.7 ohm, Twisted 32awg coil.

The first picture is a 1.7 ohm coil that I wanted to switch out (every week).
It was working great, but thought I could improve it.
View attachment 408100

AND I Have.
I found that if I build a tighter coil I get a better vape with this build.
Still 1.7 ohm, twisted 32awg coil
View attachment 408101
View attachment 408102
View attachment 408103

I use this build on top of my MVP2.0 or my iTaste134. So no mega power is needed. :D
Depending on the juice I hit this coil between 8W and 12W.
Usually I find 10W (4.1V @ 1.7ohm) is where I find it works best for most of my juices & flavours.
I find this build gives me the best vape... it is thick and flavourful without being too hot.

I just got a sub tank mini after hearing the rba in it is much better then the full size (didn't like the airflow on the first one)...... It's way better, almost as much airflow as the occ heads.
I'm running nearly the same build, but @ .9 ohms. These seem made for twisted wire :p

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I've found that trimming the wick fairly close to the side, and poking the ends into the holes gives less dry hits
Cool, this build was wet and juicey all the way thru. The Koh Gen Do just saturates the coil for every trigger pull. If the wick stays saturated what difference does it make how long or short the tails are or whether they are tucked into the holes?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Cool, this build was wet and juicey all the way thru. The Koh Gen Do just saturates the coil for every trigger pull. If the wick stays saturated what difference does it make how long or short the tails are or whether they are tucked into the holes?

If it's wicking fast enough, no difference. But if you start to get dry hits, you now know something to try :p

jlwiseman

Jan 11, 2015
I traded my original subtank for a mini last night. Much happier. I need to pick up some smaller A1 and try a twisted build. All I have right now is 28ga. However, when I rebuild occ heads, I always get juice spitting in my mouth and I hate it. Prebuilt coils have no issue. But i hate to keep Buying $5 coil heads when I have 5 empties, kanthal and cotton...

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I traded my original subtank for a mini last night. Much happier. I need to pick up some smaller A1 and try a twisted build. All I have right now is 28ga. However, when I rebuild occ heads, I always get juice spitting in my mouth and I hate it. Prebuilt coils have no issue. But i hate to keep Buying $5 coil heads when I have 5 empties, kanthal and cotton...
I packed the wick pretty good on my build and got zero spitting gurgling or popping...actually none.

Reactions: jrick53

jlwiseman

Jan 11, 2015
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update, I didn't take pics, as I don't want to clutter the thread until I get a consistent build I'm happy with, but i think I've found it on the mini subtank.

28ga kanthal, 2 pieces twisted tightly
6 wraps over the lil blue screwdriver
Tucked the coil down between the deck posts so that the legs run slightly uphill toward the posts, about 1.5 mm above the air hole.
0.5ohm
cotton wick, just enough for a slight drag through the coil, trimmed even with the edges of the build deck, tucked down to "mop" up the juice.
ran some 60/40 juice through it tonight @ 30w. No dry hits, no spitting. At 30w, it's just starting to become a warm vape. Above 32w, it's slightly too warm for my liking on a banana flavor juice. Very quick time from pressing the fire button to vape action. Nice dense cloud, about the same or slightly better cloud size as the occ prebuilts. However, the flavor is amazing. I'm discovering a whole new juice with this build. can't wait to run some of my cuttwood or boosted juices through it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread