Subtank RBA builds? show em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FadedSun

Jun 12, 2015
Got my first Clapton wrapped, now to figure out how to make it a nice coil. Had to take a picture before I ruined it ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20150723_160714.jpg
    IMG_20150723_160714.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 496

FadedSun

Jun 12, 2015
I torch mine prior to wrapping.... Takes out some of the springiness

Yeah I saw that on a video about making coils. I did torch the inner wire before I started, but I didn't think to do it with the outer wire wrapped around it before making the coil. I ended up with just enough to make 2 coils. The first one turned out great, looked and went together smooth. The second (in my wife's tank) was a bit rushed and using just the leftover end was a pain. The coil ended up all out of shape, leads shorted against the side, top shorted against the the center piece of the tank, burned the wick :eek: I defiantly learned my lesson about not rushing things, but after a lot of tweaking it's working good too.

I didn't expect it, but the wicking is almost harder than making the coil itself. I'm sure it'll take a lot more experimenting to get it down just right.

So another question, what nic do you use with this coil? Our general rule so far has been 12mg for the over ohm coils, I've been doing 4.5mg on the sub ohm. This being 1.2 ohm I started with a 12mg juice. I flooded it at first, so i don't know if it was all the spitting or if it was just to strong, but it really kicked my a** on the first couple pulls. I actually had to sit down for a bit, that's my first experience with taking in too much nic to fast. Should I be treating this more like a sub-ohm coil as far as juice strength?

I'll post some pictures later when i'm not at work.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Yeah I saw that on a video about making coils. I did torch the inner wire before I started, but I didn't think to do it with the outer wire wrapped around it before making the coil. I ended up with just enough to make 2 coils. The first one turned out great, looked and went together smooth. The second (in my wife's tank) was a bit rushed and using just the leftover end was a pain. The coil ended up all out of shape, leads shorted against the side, top shorted against the the center piece of the tank, burned the wick :eek: I defiantly learned my lesson about not rushing things, but after a lot of tweaking it's working good too.

I didn't expect it, but the wicking is almost harder than making the coil itself. I'm sure it'll take a lot more experimenting to get it down just right.

So another question, what nic do you use with this coil? Our general rule so far has been 12mg for the over ohm coils, I've been doing 4.5mg on the sub ohm. This being 1.2 ohm I started with a 12mg juice. I flooded it at first, so i don't know if it was all the spitting or if it was just to strong, but it really kicked my a** on the first couple pulls. I actually had to sit down for a bit, that's my first experience with taking in too much nic to fast. Should I be treating this more like a sub-ohm coil as far as juice strength?

Depends on what wattage you are running, but I would definitely think of it more like a sub ohm or dripper coil..i use 6mg on them

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA

Claptons vaporize more juice at a time than standard coils. They also seem to do little micro spitbacks. This is why I think the vape seems so wet. So yeah, I think this would let you absorb more nicotine per hit versus a standard coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FadedSun

Jun 12, 2015
Claptons vaporize more juice at a time than standard coils. They also seem to do little micro spitbacks. This is why I think the vape seems so wet. So yeah, I think this would let you absorb more nicotine per hit versus a standard coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep that in mind, it makes sense now why the 12mg hit me so hard. I'll save that tank for when I want a quick hit, i'm too cheap to just dump the juice =p When I decided to try sub-ohm the new member's forum warned me about lowering the nic level so I never experienced that big hit. I thought I had escaped learning that little vaping lesson, I guess I was wrong :)

On a more on topic note, here's my first coil. I'd appreciate any tips from what you see.
View media item 428695View media item 428696View media item 428697
As far as how it vapes, I think I like the flavor on my eGo ONE Mega with the Ni coils slightly better, but some of that might just be what I'm used to. I noticed it does take the clapton coil a little bit to really ramp up (heat up), especially on the first hit, whereas my stock Ni coil is pretty instant. On the plus side, I've noticed that slightly changing the watts on the clapton can really affect the flavor. So it can be fine tuned to bring out what I'm looking for. I haven't noticed that on the Ni coils, the vapor mostly just gets hotter or colder. Right now I'm at 23.5W and it brought out more of the Strawberry in my strawberries and cream. It also seems like it might wick a little better than my eGo ONE. It's hard to tell for sure since I've learned to pace myself just a little already with my other tank to avoid the dry hits.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Hey guys, recently picked up a kangertech subtank and got all the bugs worked out. I built a dual microcoil setup on the rba deck last night, it's reading about 0.35 ohm and does good at about 30w with organic cotton wicks much like a Kayfun build. 6 wraps of 28ga kanthal around a 2.0 mm screwdriver. The flavor is great, and vapor production is good, but not quite like I'm seeing in other subtank reviews. What kind of builds are you guys using? Any tips?
10 wicking complete.JPG
Vertical , 26ga, 5 wrap on 3.5mm driver - .5ohm -
Wicks 20/80 juice nice. Just give the wicking port holes room to take juice in and don't pack the cotton to tight.

Reactions: Tom Forde

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Okay friends... please bear with me... I am just learning to build really and I am curious, can you recommend a build that will allow me a cool-ish vape in my STM... without having to lower my watts a bunch or below 20watts? I want a good amount of vapor and a cool vape for one of my favorite juices...
26 gauge 9 wrap macro coil on 2.5-3mm id

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Reactions: vjdossey

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
oi
How do you wick a vertical coil? It looks like you just tuck it around the coil?
Exactly.
Pull a sheet of cotton in half,,,,, Cut 1/4" strip,,,,,, Off the 1/4" strip, cut 1 peace 1 1/4" long and tuck it under the coil contact,,,, around the coil,,,, and over the other coil lead.
The remanding cotton cut in half and poke in/down at the wicking port hole.
Don't make it tight, and after the wick is juiced & coil top in place, poke the cotton into the wicking ports ,(just a bit)
I found the lighter and fluffier the cotton, the better the wicking.
You can check out this thread, I posted pictures.

Vertical coil / wick build on Kangertech RBA (Great for 20/80 juice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread