Success with a micro coil in the kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Yeah, I think I am going to try some Gray Matter in the tank this time. I am letting the entire thing sit, disassembled, in some more vodka, while I head out in the cold for some yarn, lol.
Which coil did you build that you are running your cotton thru it? The last two builds for me were chimney builds with the cotton wrapped around the coil, which was pointing up right on top of the air intake. I tried an ekowool build with the coils running perpendicular to the air intake... and hated it.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I am thinking my cotton might be,I dunno, off. I bought organic cotton balls at CVS. I also have normal cotton balls from Wal-Mart. Does the organic part really make a difference?
Let me know how the new cotton works. I am very interested.

Tapatalking it up in HD on my Kindle Fire HDX

I get the sterile rolled cotton at CVS. no taste to me. Just pure juice flavor. No need to boil Nd better than organic. As clean as you can get.

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I got the same one, HCigar. It's pretty damn awesome. I will tell you some things I learned that should help when yours arrives.
1) There's a small rubber washer used with the bottom screw that's inside the 510 connector. Don't lose that. If you don't put the washer in, the unit will be so airy it's not even worth using. Took me two days to figure out I had forgotten to install it after the first washing.
2) The threads are all very dirty. Even after soaking in hot water, and then soaking in vodka for well over an hour, when I wiped the threads clean with either a q-tip or a paper towel, I was removing very visible machine oil. The wiping down process will take quite some time, because you will find that stuff everywhere.
3) The plastic tank is just plain junk. It's very easy to misthread. Thankfully the system comes with a SS tank but you can't see how much liquid you have installed, so it's sort of a catch 22. I am going to see about buying a pyrex version of the see thru tank, which would make the Kayfun complete.
4) If you don't have a needle tip for your juice bottles, definitely get one. I am having problems finding a plastic version, but the metal needle tipped juice bottle I have works wonders for refilling the Kayfun without taking it apart. The process is a bit slow, but it's pretty effective.

I am headed to walmart now to snag some yarn. Will let you know how that goes, and grats on your purchase!

Awesome information. the last clone I got I did put a small but of dawn in my hand and washed it out really good and that seemed to work. not sure if it was all gunned up or not but I figured it would not hurt. as for the Pyrex tank that would be awesome, but I have heard that there will not be anything like that for these cause you can not thread glass. now if someone could do something like they did with the original protank or even the pt 2 where the glass goes into the metal then is screwed on that would be good. maybe the next version that comes out will have something like that. I just got confirmation that it shipped. I am so excited about this. I have a IGO L and that is the only thing I have really rebuilt besides my kanger heads. I am so looking forward to this. I also ordered some 28 g Kanthal to try some different makes. I have been using the peaches and cream yarn from Walmart for a while now and that has been good, I tried it once without boiling and it was not so hot. I then started boiling it but just in regular tap water. this next round I boiled it twice but it just got done drying so I have not tried it. I also ordered some plain VG cause I was tired of using Sweetener to help get the cotton through the coil. That will be coming next week some time. this is going to be a great coming week with vape mail. I just can't wait. I will be checking that tracking every 5 minutes until it all arrives. lol

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
3) The plastic tank is just plain junk. It's very easy to misthread. Thankfully the system comes with a SS tank but you can't see how much liquid you have installed, so it's sort of a catch 22. I am going to see about buying a pyrex version of the see thru tank, which would make the Kayfun complete.

if you ever find a glass version please let us know. I have searched for it and don't believe it exists. my favorite juices are all tank crackers so I have been running SS, I got used to it but it would be nice to visually check juice levels.

4) If you don't have a needle tip for your juice bottles, definitely get one. I am having problems finding a plastic version, but the metal needle tipped juice bottle I have works wonders for refilling the Kayfun without taking it apart. The process is a bit slow, but it's pretty effective.

you may have seen the russian review from pbusardo. he complains that the included needle tip that comes with the russian is 'useless' and shows it leaking all over the tank while he's trying to refill.

he then recommends a plastic needle tip that he prefers. here's the link: 10ml LDPE Squeezable Dropper Bottle Childproof Cap Pointy Dropper 10 Sets | eBay

I purchased a few from that vendor after seeing his video, it should arrive 'soon', but the vendor was very helpfull and the order was shipped out very quickly.

FWIW, the metal needle tip that was included with my russian works just fine. never had a leak, and is the only method I use to refill. but it will be nice to have a few extras for different flavors so I don't have to wash it so often.

(source: Taste Your Juice | BOTTLES WITH TIPS FOR KAYFUN/RUSSIAN FILLING)

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Yeah, you know, my tip works fine for filling too... it just sometimes sticks in and when I try to remove the bottle, the metal blunt needle gets stuck. No biggie, but I would like something a bit easier to remove.

Let me know how the bottles work out. If you give em a thumbs up I will snag a few. Thx!

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
I just turned the Provari down to 3.7, no more throat hit. Rip Trippers explained that this is a by product of the Kayfun. I made a new 1.8 ohm coil tonight, and used unboiled yarn instead of cotton. (the Peaches and Cream, which is SO much easier to use compared to cotton)
That said, I keep reaching for the Provari mini with the ikenvape carto. The flavor just seems more consistent and the vapor is just fine for me, as I don't go cloud chasing. I have a sneaking suspicion I "should" be enjoying the kayfun more, but I'll be damned if the ikenvape and ibtanked is more enjoyable, yet much easier to set up. *shrug*

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I'm so glad you said that! I was reading this thread wondering whether I should learn to rebuild and get a Kayfun or some other fiddlly gadget:p Looks like I should hold off for a while longer and just enjoy my IB Tanks:D

I just turned the Provari down to 3.7, no more throat hit. Rip Trippers explained that this is a by product of the Kayfun. I made a new 1.8 ohm coil tonight, and used unboiled yarn instead of cotton. (the Peaches and Cream, which is SO much easier to use compared to cotton)
That said, I keep reaching for the Provari mini with the ikenvape carto. The flavor just seems more consistent and the vapor is just fine for me, as I don't go cloud chasing. I have a sneaking suspicion I "should" be enjoying the kayfun more, but I'll be damned if the ikenvape and ibtanked is more enjoyable, yet much easier to set up. *shrug*

EGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
After our trip to Chattanooga and a visit to Mountain Oak Vapors B&M - I'm no longer scared to death to build coils. In fact, my only frustration is trying to re-wick the daggum cotton into the coil after I've built it. Hubby laughed at me with the torch in my hand as I burnt off stuff from the wire. He thought it was neat that I was at least giving it a try.....

Now that I've done that.....I've found I now have to lower my nic! WOW what a hit! LOL

At least I acknowledged my intimidation of building coils, confronted and conquered! :evil:

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
my wife has been wonderful in induldging my want to rebuild things. she is not happy about the price of the tanks i am wanting to buy but she is reaping the rewards cause i started off doing the kanger heads and now we have so many built that all she does is swap things out now. no more cleaning and dry burning. i just tell her to switch it out and i just rebuild them. easier and faster than all that cleaning and dry burning. evvery time i dry burned it seemed like it too forever to get this funky taste out of them. she did not notice it but i sure did. i got an igo l the other day and for the first time i used some silica i had picked up. Now i know why everyone is all about the cotton. that stuff was nasty. i forgot to burn it before i used it so that may have something to do with it. may try it again this weekend. but if not that stuff will just sit there and i will just keep using my cotton yarn. may go get some sterile cotton just to play with when the kayfun gets here. and speaking of that i went to check the tracking number on it this morning and usps shows they do not have it yet. ugh! just need to get that sucker on a truck!!! lol

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
For flavor and vapor and "simple", hard to beat a cartotank!! I, too, am learning and tinkering with the KFL+ and Sophia, so far so good but I think as glassgal pointed out to me awhile back...patience is a virtue and one must want to tinker, fiddle and adjust and readjust as part of the hobby but in all honesty, cartotanks is still hard to beat and I will continue to use those in my rotation and as daily users!! Just my 2 cents worth!

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Not sure if the OP ever figured this out, BUT TO ANYONE GETTING STRANGE TASTE USING COTTON: You're probably using too much cotton.

Pull those cotton fibers until they're quite loose, install your organic cotton wick so the loosest part is what is inside the coil, with the thicker tufts poking out each side for juice reservoirs. It's a delicate balance that needs to be met for clean flavor. Loose because the cotton will expand as it absorbs liquid. Not so loose that it can't supply enough liquid to your micros and nano coils.

Try it out :vapor:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
For flavor and vapor and "simple", hard to beat a cartotank!! I, too, am learning and tinkering with the KFL+ and Sophia, so far so good but I think as glassgal pointed out to me awhile back...patience is a virtue and one must want to tinker, fiddle and adjust and readjust as part of the hobby but in all honesty, cartotanks is still hard to beat and I will continue to use those in my rotation and as daily users!! Just my 2 cents worth!

Not I said the Spy. An order coming with 2 more Sophia's plus is the last nail in the coffin for the Iken/SMOK/Boge carto's in my carto tanks. Four of them in the tanks that will remain in use, RBA's w/wo tanks and drippers will serve all my ProVari needs I think. I have nothing but time to tinker with coils, DIY, etc... and they get easier as you learn. Looking into getting a wire welder for NR-R-NR as the next step.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com

Oh, I'm constantly tinkering... but, sometimes when you're all tinkered out and you just want to vape something, the carto tank is nice:). Other thing I think is, the cartotank is a 'standard'. Pretty tough to tell what a juice tastes like if all you have are a bunch of coils you made yourself, and maybe did all wonky one day. The carto helps you find a baseline for the juice, and you can then test coils to see what you like. I don't ever see myself not having carto tanks. That, and I have a whole lot of unused cartos anyway:p.

Dana G Birrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
A, A
my wife has been wonderful in induldging my want to rebuild things. she is not happy about the price of the tanks i am wanting to buy but she is reaping the rewards cause i started off doing the kanger heads and now we have so many built that all she does is swap things out now. no more cleaning and dry burning. i just tell her to switch it out and i just rebuild them. easier and faster than all that cleaning and dry burning. evvery time i dry burned it seemed like it too forever to get this funky taste out of them. she did not notice it but i sure did. i got an igo l the other day and for the first time i used some silica i had picked up. Now i know why everyone is all about the cotton. that stuff was nasty. i forgot to burn it before i used it so that may have something to do with it. may try it again this weekend. but if not that stuff will just sit there and i will just keep using my cotton yarn. may go get some sterile cotton just to play with when the kayfun gets here. and speaking of that i went to check the tracking number on it this morning and usps shows they do not have it yet. ugh! just need to get that sucker on a truck!!! lol

I was hesitant to buy the Russian 91% due to the price, but since I've bought it in October, I think it was, I've spent the money to get a bag of cotton balls and 20 feet of kanthal wire. So, in the long run, I save money not buying those damn refill kits every week.

On top of all of this, I spend about $40 every 4 or so months on 1 liter of nicotine, and another 50 every 6 or so months on flavors.

ck32250

Dec 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
I'm a week or so into my kayfun lite +. I have been happy with my first micro at 1.8 ohms. Every tank I have been rewicking just to try different ways of setting up the cotton on the same coil. The first time I used A LOT of cotton where I was cramming I down after I put the chimney on, it actually vaped quite well. I have been shortening each time and currently the cotton is so short it just barely pokes out from the coil, about 1/4 inch, it my least favorite wick- I'm getting gurgling and some juice in my mouth. I assumed it would be too short but I'm new to the Kayfun and want to find it's tolerances and sweet spot. I now know where to be in wick length, which may be a little longer than what I've read some are running on here. Now I'm going to start fooling with the thickness of the cotton. Until now they've been the same thickness- where I have to roll it a bit yet it still threads in pretty easily. Based on what I read above I'll try it a little thinner. I have always kept my trusty 1.5 ohm dual mega smok cartos on hand but after experiencing this kayfun I can say I am now free and done with consumable attys, I won't be buying any more.
Thanks to everyone for all the posts and advice, vaping has changed my life.

Sent from my phone, please excuse the brevity and typos.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Now that I have my wick and coil method down, I actually find Russian 91% to be way less of a hassle than cartotanks. I can rewick in the same amount of time it took me to prime a new carto, rewick less often than I was changing cartos anyway, and it's easier to fill than a cartotank. That said, I still use cartos, mostly because I switch flavors often and only have 2 kayfun-style tanks, so my fave juice goes into the Russian, next into the kayfun clone, then others in the cartotanks. I can see them getting phased out over time as I get new rebuildables, but for now they stay in rotation, just not top of the rotation.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Agreed, boiling some new cotton for 10 min I used quite a bit less and it seemed to help. That said the flavor is no where near what I expected. I tried another chimney coil,which I seem to like,but the flavor is just muted. I think tomorrow I might try even less wick

Tapatalking it up in HD on my Kindle Fire HDX

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Not sure if the OP ever figured this out, BUT TO ANYONE GETTING STRANGE TASTE USING COTTON: You're probably using too much cotton.

Pull those cotton fibers until they're quite loose, install your organic cotton wick so the loosest part is what is inside the coil, with the thicker tufts poking out each side for juice reservoirs. It's a delicate balance that needs to be met for clean flavor. Loose because the cotton will expand as it absorbs liquid. Not so loose that it can't supply enough liquid to your micros and nano coils.

Try it out :vapor:

Except that the OP is playing with the vertical, "chimney" coil. No wick inside the coil at all. I am using Bapgood's variation where the coil is pressed down against the post and surrounded by cotton. At 1-1.2 ohms, it keeps up just great with Boba's Bounty in my KFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread