Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I followed Rip Tripper's guidance and have a minimal amount of wick. I actually purposefully ensured the wick was not blocking the juice channels at the base.

I didn't, however, think about the fact that it's 100% VG. I'll try another today, with unboiled cotton, and see. Thanks for the tip.

I use this exact method (chimney build). 30 guage Kanthal around a 1/16" drill bit, with organic Walgreens cotton, about 1.5 ohms.

I love it, it is the best set up for me I have used. I usually fire at about 4 volts.

darkgear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Islands in the middle of the sea
My current kayfun build

28imf78.jpg

Last edited:

darkgear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Islands in the middle of the sea
glassgal, there are a hundred coil and wick configs. The one that works for you is the best one. I just have too much time on my hands on some days. I'm going to try the volcano coil next. Vertical right over the airhole. wicking material around the outside of the coil only.

Saw this on instagram. Totally over the top and functionally ridiculous but it looks cool. The quad coil Flying Vee

2jdgzg2.jpg

Chief, just twist em.

117cwbd.jpg

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Now what advantage with the double??

More surface area = more vapor production. The resistance also gets cut, so you can wrap higher resistive coils & still have an overall low resistance. If you were aiming for 1.5 total, you'd need 2 coils that were 3 ohms each. Not really necessary, but something fun to play with if you've got the time on your hands. Dual coils should be as close to identical as possible though.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
More surface area = more vapor production. The resistance also gets cut, so you can wrap higher resistive coils & still have an overall low resistance. If you were aiming for 1.5 total, you'd need 2 coils that were 3 ohms each. Not really necessary, but something fun to play with if you've got the time on your hands. Dual coils should be as close to identical as possible though.

OMG!!! OZ?!?!?!?!?!? where the heck have u been and good to "see" you!

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Yikes....hope u have a successful and speedy recovery this time around.

Thank you m'dear. Last time it was a couple months in a wheelchair. This time I just went straight to the walking cast & cane. Mornings are still pretty rough & it feels like my toes to my knee got peppered with birdshot, but all in all I can cope with it. I just wish I wouldn't have stashed the scotch on the top shelf. I'm hoping someone comes out to visit me... and gets that damned bottle down. :)

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
glassgal, there are a hundred coil and wick configs. The one that works for you is the best one. I just have too much time on my hands on some days. I'm going to try the volcano coil next. Vertical right over the airhole. wicking material around the outside of the coil only.

Saw this on instagram. Totally over the top and functionally ridiculous but it looks cool. The quad coil Flying Vee

2jdgzg2.jpg

Chief, just twist em.

117cwbd.jpg

Holy smokes... Quad coil flying V eh? Dang... LOL! You weren't kidding about too much time on someone's hands!!!! But... I like it!!! Trying to get 2 coils to fire simultaneously makes me really appreciate someone who can wire... what? 6 coils? firing simultaneously. That's impressive!!!

The 2 RBA I use the most are the Kayfun and the Steam Turbine. The Kayfun of course is a straight 2 screw with center hole basic config, while the Steam Turbine is designed to be a Genisis style 2 coil config (with actually 4 holes, so you can do a quad).

What I've noticed is not a big difference in terms of having 2 coils vs 1 coil SO FAR (this is very limited personal experience). Also, the taste from the wire mesh that came with my steam turbine was beyond gross, so I just pulled it apart, and did 1 coil and cotton in the steam turbine (plugged the other holes). It's working fine with a 1 coil Kayfun style build, and no yucky taste.

Biggest reason I didn't do 2 coils again was because I wasn't sure I could get identical configurations in 2 coils, and figured it wouldn't be much different. Seeing yours on a Kayfun, I'm intrigued, and thinking of trying it again with microcoils...

Do you notice a big taste difference between the 1 coil and the 2 coil configurations? What ohm did you end up at with the double? Advantages, disadvantages? Maybe I'll give that a try again:).

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com

Aha! Well, I asked the question again in the above, but I guess that answers it. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around ohms and volts... it's slooowly starting to sink in... I think o_O. To get 1.5 ohms, you wrap 2x 3ohm wires? I would have thought that would get you 6 ohms... ok, I really need to spend more time figuring this out! LOL!

Sorry to hear about your ankle, but good to see you posting again:).

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Aha! Well, I asked the question again in the above, but I guess that answers it. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around ohms and volts... it's slooowly starting to sink in... I think o_O. To get 1.5 ohms, you wrap 2x 3ohm wires? I would have thought that would get you 6 ohms... ok, I really need to spend more time figuring this out! LOL!

It depends on the wiring configuration, series or parallel (and your dual coils will always be in parallel)

Parallel resistors:
parallel_resistors_circuit2.GIF

Series resistors:
series_resistors_circuit.GIF

For resistance, you add them together when they're in series, but not for parallel. That equation is tough to type out in a forum post, so here's a pic with it included.
Series_parallel_resistors.gif

But since you're trying to make both coils identical, it's easier to just cut them in half - or work backwards, e.g. I want 1.5 ohms, so I need (2) 3 ohm coils.

If you're not subohming/cloudchasing/whatever & just looking for a good vape, it's not really worth the extra time, materials & effort... unless you just enjoy building them. I do a twisted coil with lighter gauge wire & basically get the same surface area as a double coil with a single coil with a lot less effort.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Here ya go, Oz. Feel better.
Nikki%20and%20Karen%20BiG%20B2%20Glam%20Shot.jpg

Thank you m'dear. Last time it was a couple months in a wheelchair. This time I just went straight to the walking cast & cane. Mornings are still pretty rough & it feels like my toes to my knee got peppered with birdshot, but all in all I can cope with it. I just wish I wouldn't have stashed the scotch on the top shelf. I'm hoping someone comes out to visit me... and gets that damned bottle down. :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It's RESISTance. The wire is RESISTING the electricity flowing through it.
If there's MORE wire - like having 2 coils (or a thicker wire) - that's "more room" for the electricity. :)
It's EASIER, there's LESS RESISTANCE.
Thus, two coils of 3 ohms results in half as much resistance as one coil of 3 ohms.
Just in case the "plain english logic" helps - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread