Status
Not open for further replies.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Geez u guys make my head spin w/all the technical data stuff. I don't have kayfun but a quick question regarding rebuilds. How long does the actual coil last? I understand changing out the wick, cotton, hemp, whatever everyone is using but what about the actual wire?

How long does it last and how do you know when its shot and needs replacing?

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
My first lasted more than two months and was still going strong. I only changed it out because I wanted to try the vertical chimney coil I had seen here. I put that same coil in my other two and haven't changed them out since. They seem to be near indestructible and are so easy to clean.

Rinse if you feel inclined, dry burn, brush or blow off, repeat if inclined, rewick and keep-on-vapin' :)

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Geez u guys make my head spin w/all the technical data stuff. I don't have kayfun but a quick question regarding rebuilds. How long does the actual coil last? I understand changing out the wick, cotton, hemp, whatever everyone is using but what about the actual wire?

Morning m'dear, hope you're starting to thaw out :)

I have no clue how long they last - I pull them long before I have to, but that's just because I want to play with a new idea. I've heard of them going many months though. If you're using dark juices/carto cloggers just dry burn & scrape the gunk off carefully & rewick them. Game on. We were having a discussion in another thread about them & one of the guys was new to it, waiting on his first R91 to show up in the mail, so I posted some pics in a blog post. It's more about re-wicking with cotton, but there's some other stuff in there if you want to check it out. I just didn't bother wiping off the dark coffee juice I was vaping first.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Former US Navy Electronics Technician (ET).

Worked on LF/HF/VHF/UHF transceivers, radars, computers . . . Basically, if there was a diode anywhere the circuit, then the Electricians Mates deferred it to the ETs (Everything Techs).

That was my second guess. You don't see 'superheterodyne' thrown around very often anymore. I got a good laugh out of it.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Morning m'dear, hope you're starting to thaw out :)

I have no clue how long they last - I pull them long before I have to, but that's just because I want to play with a new idea. I've heard of them going many months though. If you're using dark juices/carto cloggers just dry burn & scrape the gunk off carefully & rewick them. Game on. We were having a discussion in another thread about them & one of the guys was new to it, waiting on his first R91 to show up in the mail, so I posted some pics in a blog post. It's more about re-wicking with cotton, but there's some other stuff in there if you want to check it out. I just didn't bother wiping off the dark coffee juice I was vaping first.

Ok thanks. I will surf around and check it out. I have a Sophia coming and bought 10 prebuilts w/it hoping to have plenty of time learning how to recoil. Not to concerned w/rewicking and actually excited to try cotton.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Ok thanks. I will surf around and check it out. I have a Sophia coming and bought 10 prebuilts w/it hoping to have plenty of time learning how to recoil. Not to concerned w/rewicking and actually excited to try cotton.

I've thought about picking up 1, but then I think about messing around with that sort of a build. Not that it's hard, just more intensive than I really want to deal with. You'll probably love the cotton. It's so easy, cheap, plentiful & hassle-free. Great taste too.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA

On my Kayfun lite's I get about a month out of a coil, but I guess I sometimes am a chain vaper, my coils are 30 gage kanthal on 5/64 drill bit with cotton wick, I had 1 of my sophia coils (Leo's pre-built coil assy) fry on me after 2 1/2 weeks, but I think if was a fluke because my other 1 is still going strong.

KAS

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I absolutely love my kfl+. I usually shoot for a 1.6 micro coil and vape it at 4.2 volts. I vape boba's in it exclusively and love it. I haven't looked at any other devices since I got mine last month.

I still use my davide clearos for my other flavors and rebuild those at 1.6 as well. Rebuilding these with cotton changes the game. The hit like champs and taste amazing. Such a huge difference from stock heads.

I am close to buying another kfl but trying to hold off until they improve it more.. If that's even possible...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
just wanted to post a small update on my adventures with cotton wicks..

after testing 4 different brands, I was getting the same nasty yet distinct taste. I tried at least 15 different attempts/builds. all of the tested brands are listed as bleached with hydrogen peroxide.

I was about to give up on cotton, after reading many reports of people getting clear tasting wicks regardless of boiling.

then I tried boiling the Swisspers cotton balls...aaaand...success! nasty taste = gone!

tried 2 different builds so far, the vertical coil from Bapgood's post that Bimini suggested was tested first. I love the taste and how it performs. but having it touching the deck makes the tank heat up really really fast. otherwise I liked it.

just finished a simple mini... 5/64 drill bit, 12 wraps, 1.8 ohms.. little higher than I had planned.. I want to try to add a longer wick, and to also cover the sides of the coils on my next attempt, but this is how it looks atm:

FD0vihnl.png

uBwZA7nl.png

getting a little bit of flooding and not the greatest performance but flavor is amazing.

:vapor:

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
thanks a lot Chief, too kind!

I'll try adding a cloud as you suggest. I used one with the vertical coil and it worked really good. but tbh I judged this last coil a little too soon. I gave it too many prime puffs and it flooded... and it wasn't producing that much vapor, but after a short break in period, it's working really really nice. I just want to lower the resistance a little bit.

btw, remember this?
3) The plastic tank is just plain junk. It's very easy to misthread. Thankfully the system comes with a SS tank but you can't see how much liquid you have installed, so it's sort of a catch 22. I am going to see about buying a pyrex version of the see thru tank, which would make the Kayfun complete.

in case you haven't seen this yet, I suggest you give the following link a click:
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems

:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread